A&H

Not much to say her...

The Referee Store
Was that S7? Not 100% sure I'm happy with the way that transpired (though it's a short clip). Think it could be a straight red based on posturing and the words that were surely coming out of his mouth.

Sort should have pointed out he did send him off about a second later but yes S7. I would have sent him straight off without bothering to look at my notebook.

NOT ALL CORRECT - SEE BELOW POST

Last edited:
What I Didn't know is that he is cautioned for squaring up to Mr Whitestone for dissent, and even after he is pulled away and e goes back with In Seconds and continues earning a second yellow for dissent and then sent off. Like I said the manor her was in this clip which was the first part I would have for rid off him instantly.

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/10841535/leyton-orient-2-1-hartlepool
See 0:35 onwards for more comprehensive clip

IMO that's awful officiating. The issuing of a card in that situation should be part of an overall message. Simply flashing a yellow card in the air and expecting the red sea to part is foolish. Had the ref held off just a few seconds, (I don't know what words were used but taking an educated guess), then, the players rant would have come to a natural end, and you can calmly dismiss the player for f/a, certainly taking into account the players body language and overall behaviour, on top of whatever words were used.
I don't know the clip, if it resulted in a 2nd yellow (presumably both for dissent) then that's weak, as the first card has delivered absolutely no message or meaning at all, if anything I hope looking at the clip a straight red followed the first yellow. Nobody wants to be victim of a players rant like that, however that's exactly when you show your strength of character, stay calm, let him make a total scene of himself then do the necessary sanction(s)

Ah, the poster above posted a link to the whole incident, even worse, the referee is far too close to the player especially in the 2nd incident, it encourages or provokes a heated reaction, it almost looks confrontational, and given the temperament displayed by the player, flashing the yellow/red in such close proximity is really not good management at all, throwing cards like that up in the air, that close to a player, on a public park on a Sunday morning, well, am sorry but you are running a huge risk of that player attacking you. Simply flashing cards that close to a player who is clearly irate and volatile and then you turn your back on them!! Worse thing is, you wont even see him batter you in the back of the head ! (clearly on this occasion at this level there are extra officials and tv cameras) but at grass roots, you are running a high risk of assault there.

Ah, the poster above posted a link to the whole incident, even worse, the referee is far too close to the player especially in the 2nd incident, it encourages or provokes a heated reaction, it almost looks confrontational, and given the temperament displayed by the player, flashing the yellow/red in such close proximity is really not good management at all, throwing cards like that up in the air, that close to a player, on a public park on a Sunday morning, well, am sorry but you are running a huge risk of that player attacking you. Simply flashing cards that close to a player who is clearly irate and volatile and then you turn your back on them!! Worse thing is, you wont even see him batter you in the back of the head ! (clearly on this occasion at this level there are extra officials and tv cameras) but at grass roots, you are running a high risk of assault there.
If I'm being honest I think your being a tad harsh. As much as I think the player is a fool and cannot be doing what he isn't doing, and I would have got rid of him instantly, I don't feel it is the referees job to be worried about the player assualting him. As a person yes you want to avoid it, which in a sense might be why he originally only cautioned him. Although technically that isn't the correct thing to do and he could have done it in a manner slightly differently (taken him away and calmed him down), he could have felt a yellow card would have prevented further abuse. Although this is not to be known just from watching the video, it is the 92nd minute and the ref isn't likely to blow up within seconds of the taking of a goal kick. (Couldn't say whether that's why the player is so incensed, perhaps he felt a corner should have been given to his team who are losing 2-1) but I reckon the ref is very close to finishing the game and he wanted to get off. A red card could have caused a situation much like the first yellow card did so for this one I'm gonna stick by the ref. At the end of the day, the player is a fool and I hope he's the one punished for a considerable amount of time. There is nothing the ref could have done to warrant being squared up to in the face.

What you cannot do, is find yourself nose to nose with a player. If that means that you need to take a step back, do so, in a dignified manner, and if the occasion requires it, gently, not aggressively outstretch one of your arms, at your waist level, to form a subtle barrier, in a "calm down" mannerism. This player, (agreed, don't know why) is irate. To simply throw a yellow card up in the air is not managing a situation, its inflaming it ! How would you react as player if you had already lost plot and the ref fired a yellow card up in the air like that at you? Would it settle you down or, simply fill you with more rage? This player has lost it, he needs calmed down, and then the appropriate action. You could decide as referee that you are going to dismiss him, fine, calm him down, take as much aggression out of the situation as you can, then, calmly and gently, but firmly, communicate as you are issuing the sanction, something like "ok, that was too far, you cannot speak to me like that using those words and acting in that manner, I need to send you off for foul and abusive and it might be best for everyone if you leave the park without any more fuss". To simply stand there fighting fire with fire is ludicrous, watching the clip again, no doubts the player has lost it, but the referee looks far too confrontational in the clips, no management skills at all

I understand where your coming from but in the end, the player was sent off correctly (even if it wasn't in the right manner) and the referee shouldn't be expected to put up with what the player does even if he did make it worse. The player is the one who commits the actions not the referee.

100% the player deserved to be sent off, I like to think I would have let him rant on for a few seconds more the first time, made the barrier between us (by now other players come in, reducing the chances of serious 1 on 1 confrontation between yourself and the player) and then dismissed him. To simply throw a yellow card up in the air expecting that to control that situation is for me just not going to happen.

I understand where your coming from but in the end, the player was sent off correctly (even if it wasn't in the right manner) and the referee shouldn't be expected to put up with what the player does even if he did make it worse. The player is the one who commits the actions not the referee.

But so much about refereeing nowadays is man management. Your cards are an important tool for managing players, but a card so casually flashed to a player mid-tirade is a total waste of that tool. The player doesn't even look up to see what colour the card is, so it clearly has no effect on him.

It ends with the right outcome in terms of the player being sent off, but it is quite poorly handled with both the first yellow being shown in the way it was, and then the second one as I think he get's far too close to the player when he's talking to him.

I am fairly easy going but in this situation he walks, as does anyone else who wants to get involved. Nothing excuses physical contact in this manner.

I am fairly easy going but in this situation he walks, as does anyone else who wants to get involved. Nothing excuses physical contact in this manner.

Oh, I would tread careful on that, the actual physical contact in this clip is started by the referee........

Oh, I would tread careful on that, the actual physical contact in this clip is started by the referee........

Not really an issue......the contact is the same that you could have numerous times in a game when players run towards you and you take avoiding action......

I do think the referee should have taken a step back when the player gets in his face....just gives him some personal space.....and if the player steps forward again, it make the obvious red card even more obvious and easier to sell.

What you cannot do, is find yourself nose to nose with a player. If that means that you need to take a step back, do so, in a dignified manner, and if the occasion requires it, gently, not aggressively outstretch one of your arms, at your waist level, to form a subtle barrier, in a "calm down" mannerism. This player, (agreed, don't know why) is irate. To simply throw a yellow card up in the air is not managing a situation, its inflaming it ! How would you react as player if you had already lost plot and the ref fired a yellow card up in the air like that at you? Would it settle you down or, simply fill you with more rage? This player has lost it, he needs calmed down, and then the appropriate action. You could decide as referee that you are going to dismiss him, fine, calm him down, take as much aggression out of the situation as you can, then, calmly and gently, but firmly, communicate as you are issuing the sanction, something like "ok, that was too far, you cannot speak to me like that using those words and acting in that manner, I need to send you off for foul and abusive and it might be best for everyone if you leave the park without any more fuss". To simply stand there fighting fire with fire is ludicrous, watching the clip again, no doubts the player has lost it, but the referee looks far too confrontational in the clips, no management skills at all

You say that but it's not like a player having a strop, he's being aggressive and intimidating a match official, you can't talk gently when someone does that, wineries you need to feign anger in order to create a barrier for yourself. I'm not saying you need to do anything in retaliation but if you don't protect yourself, nobody will.

Each to own of course, if it works for you, great, the forum is full of opinions and mine is if you as referee need to fight fire with fire then your actions are as bad as the players itself, this was to me an ideal opportunity to show you are the calmest person on the pitch and also the most authoritative, because you prove you handle things in the correct manner.

Back