A&H

Offside decision

refdave83

RefChat Addict
Level 7 Referee
M just watching saints beating boro. Boro attacked and player A crosses the ball and momentum takes him of the FOP. Saints player about yrd of the goal line. Player A the runs back on the pitch and gets the ball. But the time he gets the ball he is back on side.

I hope this situation makes sense. Is player A offside as he gained an advantage from being offside when he re-entered the FOP? or did the lino get it right by NOT flagging?

A&H International
if i get what you have said the player whos momentum has taken him off the fop is not off side as he has not seaked to gain an advantage as it was acciental

Hi
The player is placed on the goal line or touch line in determining offside at the moment the ball is played. It makes no difference if his move off the field of play was through momentum. Same applies to defenders
In this case who played the ball to the player? If it was a team mate and the player came from an offside position off the field of play then offside must be called.

The attacker is offside if he was nearer to the goal line than the secondmost rear defender - ie there needed to be 2 defenders on the goal line (or deemed on the goal line) to be able to play the attacker onside (deemed on the goal line). My first reaction was "offside" becasue it didn't look right, or feel right, because there was only the goalie on the goal line when the ball was kicked forward. Would need to check replay to see who played the ball forward to him, could have been a defender then all the above is academic!

Back