A&H

Oh look, a newbie!

DB

Referee, Observer, Mentor, Player
Level 5 Referee
Hi there,

Just thought I'd introduce myself. My name's David Bartlam. 28 years old from Cornwall.

I've been playing football in Cornwall since I was 16, both on a junior and senior standard football, the last 5 seasons in junior as I decided to play with my good friends.

I've been refereeing for a few years on and off but at the start of this season, I got fed up with seeing the number of games being postponed in the junior leagues due to a referee shortage. Although I was still playing, I set up a campaign in Cornwall to get more people interested in refereeing, taking to forums, social media and even getting an afternoon on BBC Radio Cornwall to discuss the problem and why I was trying to help it. I managed to get a course booked up and at the end of October, 10 new referees qualified including a female and two 16 year olds.

Since qualifying In November this season, I have officiated 11 games up to now, 10 for the FA in Cornwall and 1 in the Royal Navy. Was supposed to have done a second a few weeks ago but tore my lower back.

I still play football, I'm the founder, secretary and player of a local side but referee when I have no game to play. I also gave up playing on Sunday's so I could referee.

I'm quite opinionated and like to talk about my experiences so I look forward to sharing my views with you guys in the future.

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Welcome from another ref in Cornwall :)

Don't be shy to get stuck in

Reactions: DB
Hi there,

Just thought I'd introduce myself. My name's David Bartlam. 28 years old from Cornwall.

I've been playing football in Cornwall since I was 16, both on a junior and senior standard football, the last 5 seasons in junior as I decided to play with my good friends.

I've been refereeing for a few years on and off but at the start of this season, I got fed up with seeing the number of games being postponed in the junior leagues due to a referee shortage. Although I was still playing, I set up a campaign in Cornwall to get more people interested in refereeing, taking to forums, social media and even getting an afternoon on BBC Radio Cornwall to discuss the problem and why I was trying to help it. I managed to get a course booked up and at the end of October, 10 new referees qualified including a female and two 16 year olds.

Since qualifying In November this season, I have officiated 11 games up to now, 10 for the FA in Cornwall and 1 in the Royal Navy. Was supposed to have done a second a few weeks ago but tore my lower back.

I still play football, I'm the founder, secretary and player of a local side but referee when I have no game to play. I also gave up playing on Sunday's so I could referee.

I'm quite opinionated and like to talk about my experiences so I look forward to sharing my views with you guys in the future.

You're a busy lad! Surprised you get the time!

Welcome aboard.

Back