A&H

Osula challenge on Konate

Kinsleyr

This isn't about Liverpool really but more about dangerous challenges not getting reviewed. You can see the referee Atwell waving clearly that there was no foul by Konate but surely there was a case for dangerous play by the United player?

After VAR choose to not get involved with Silva's challenge on the weekend is it really not supposed to review these challenges and go - this is a C&O and you need to review it?

The Referee Store
This isn't about Liverpool really but more about dangerous challenges not getting reviewed. You can see the referee Atwell waving clearly that there was no foul by Konate but surely there was a case for dangerous play by the United player?

After VAR choose to not get involved with Silva's challenge on the weekend is it really not supposed to review these challenges and go - this is a C&O and you need to review it?
The referee is clearly shouting no foul for no penalty.

That is not a red card so can't be reviewed. It will have been checked as (in theory) everything is checked.

The referee is clearly shouting no foul for no penalty.

That is not a red card so can't be reviewed. It will have been checked as (in theory) everything is checked.
So he's saying no foul for a foul on the United player but then he he's not seeing the challenge by the United player. Surely that is a mistake? I'm starting to wonder if VAR is fit for purpose as it appears to only offer any insight when the VAR referee is senior to the referee on the pitch.

So he's saying no foul for a foul on the United player but then he he's not seeing the challenge by the United player. Surely that is a mistake? I'm starting to wonder if VAR is fit for purpose as it appears to only offer any insight when the VAR referee is senior to the referee on the pitch.
It’s hardly a foul, he falls backwards from the contact and his legs go up. He’s not jumped into a scissor challenge. Let alone a red card.

Attwell used the 'cut the grass' signal excessively. May have contributed to him missing this incident
This - You can see in the replay that as he "cuts the grass" to deny the penalty shout, he's also moving his gaze to follow the ball. Seems very likely that he didn't see the scissors that came in as he's looking away.

Lack of communication in VAR is again fuelling conspiracy and speculation here. As James points out, it should have been checked in theory, but it's very plausible that a VAR check here will have focused on the penalty shout, agreed with the "no foul" call on the field and then moved on. As is pointed out in the twitter comments, it happened when Pickford injured Van Dijk - the VAR focused on the offside and penalty shout and failed to consider the C&O missed red card in that incident. Unless/until we hear audio, it's impossible to prove that didn't happen here too.

What is your opinion on the outcome here? Thought process behind it?

I'm worried about the amount of people that think VAR should be getting involved and giving a red card for that. There's absolutely nothing in that and nowhere near enough for a red card in a million years!!!

At the risk of seeming pedantic, VAR will have looked at the challenge in the same way they "look" at the rest of the match. At worst that's a yellow card (and even that's a stretch IMO), but there's absolutely no way there's anything there that warrants VAR involvement.

You are right of course - so why was the VAR MIA? It seems like they just aren't doing their job? Both incidents are blatent red card offences and yet the VAR just lies down and does nothing. Like I said, they are currently fit for nothing.
You think it is a blatant red card, others on here, myself included, don't think it is anywhere near. I'm going to hazard a guess that you are a Liverpool fan and this might, just possibly, be clouding your judgement.

VAR check every incident, and I suspect on this one it was a very quick "check complete" relayed back to the referee.

I might be a LIverpool fan but like I said above the VAR missed two blatent fouls that should have been red cards (or at least fouls) but I've seen very little positive input from VAR recently as they just seem to regulary screw things up.

It needs a complete review as currently its not fit for purpose and needs to be removed from action until someone with some positive ideas can come in and make it work properly. We all appreciate that managers and (most fans) don't know the rules but its currently a mess with too many decisions going both ways with people unsure what is the correct decision (if they make any at all).

I might be a LIverpool fan but like I said above the VAR missed two blatent fouls that should have been red cards (or at least fouls) but I've seen very little positive input from VAR recently as they just seem to regulary screw things up.

It needs a complete review as currently its not fit for purpose and needs to be removed from action until someone with some positive ideas can come in and make it work properly. We all appreciate that managers and (most fans) don't know the rules but its currently a mess with too many decisions going both ways with people unsure what is the correct decision (if they make any at all).
Does Quansah need to be removed from action as well? His mistake today has potentially cost you the league... or is that the ref's fault as well?

You have picked two isolated incidents and have come to the sweeping conclusion that VAR is not fit for purpose, ironically claimed that managers and fans "don't know the rules" and implied that officials are not making decision at all.

There is no doubt that VAR could and should be improved, but you are speaking from the perspective of an angry fan, enraged because you didn't have a decision go your way. Not one person has agreed with you which is a good yard stick that in the opinion of most neither of these are red card offences.

You might have more luck on the Liverpool forum.

Last edited:

You've dug yourself in a hole there with that comment - "VAR missed two blatent fouls that should have been red cards (or at least fouls)".

VAR can only get involved in certain situations, and missed fouls is not one of those. So even if they check a potential SFP situation where the referee hasn't given a foul they aren't going to tell him to give a free kick, they either recommend a review for SFP or do nothing.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on the merits of VAR, but it does help if referees offering those opinions actually make an effort to understand how it can be used.

Back