A&H

Outside the box?

EnglishReferee

Twitter @EnglishReferee
Level 9 Referee
At Madrid vs Leicester

Huge decision in an important game! Outside of the box for me.. no peno!

The Referee Store
Not seen a single replay directly in line with the edge of the box. Judging by the replays have seen, yes players feet were outside, but Griezman appeared to be leaning towards box and at the speed he was travelling and how far he fell in the box easy to see why the referee gave the penalty.

Certainly not clear cut at normal speed and the "terrible decision" that Robbie Savage and the rest of the BT Sport team want everyone to believe it was.

Last edited:
Hats pff to the Grizler for the run and the frankly outrageous dive. I don't mean dive as in there was no contact. I mean as in giving it the diving swan as you get a nudge in the back. The contact might start a hair outside the box but the same contact carries on inside so I guess penalty.

But my lord that is so harsh considering the theatrics and the minimal contact. Defender is asking for it though. Great run.

Great decision? I think he could have sold a yellow here...

(Ref's position excellent by the way)

F365 are saying inside. I think they have it wrong... gets harder every time I look though... it is the left arm that makes contact and it is horizontal... still looks like a pen is a fair decision...

Poor call In my opinion. Thought it was outside the box as soon as it seen it plus his positioning was great. You have to be certain to give such a big call like that!IMG_0349.PNG

I'm not going to criticise at all - the speed of the play alone is such that realistically that did look a penalty on first look. A still image can only tell us so much - I can't find a reverse angle anywhere as that would greatly aid reviewing it. I say that because @Mooseybaby makes a valid point about the foul/push/touch potentially continuing into the area. Right now that still image only shows the foul beginning.

The laws say "If a defender starts holding an attacker outside the penalty area and continues holding him inside the penalty area, the referee must award a penalty kick."
However, this is a push that continues into the penalty area. Not holding. I think this could be one of those for the spirit of the game. Surely the intent of the laws is that if you start a foul outside the box and continue that same foul inside the box then it's a pen. I think the forearm in the back starts outside and continues inside. I think a penalty is justifiable. But, I think DFK and YC is also easily justifiable.

Hi guys
Just out of curiosity what would guys say to a red card for DOGSO in this situation ???
Cheers

Hi guys
Just out of curiosity what would guys say to a red card for DOGSO in this situation ???
Cheers

No way can you give DOGSO for that in my opinion - other defenders in the penalty area ready to defend, angle is tight and Griezman still has a lot of work to do to get a shot away. Stopping a promising attack, sure. DOGSO? Not for me.

Hi guys
Cheers

I'd say the ref giving a red in this situation won't be refereeing in the ECL again in their career

There was a ball to hand off a deflected header in the Barcelona game, totally accidental, McMannoman on BT went on a rant about 'you can't have your hands up there' and 'it has to be intentional even if it's deflected' blah blah blah, who employed this ****wit. It was a deflected fecking header! He answered his own question!

In real time it looked a penalty to me. Contact seemed to continue into the box.Albrighton looked like he wanted to stop Griezeman any way he could and was desperately trying to make sure he got him outside the penalty area.

Great position? Really? Stop the clip, bang on the point of contact on the foul. Blue 4 blocks the referees view.
As that attack developed, the Madrid player running with ball and about to run from left to right, the referee ran central, anticipating the striker to run into the box, fine, All good and wise, apart from he never counted on a Leicester 4 and 17? also tracking back to defend, from a left positon,chances were, one of the two was going to block his view so had referee been wide, in effect, chasing the Madrid player all the way from when he got the ball in his own half, all the way to the point of contact, wide, he would have had an unobstructed view. Alarm bells should ring when a player runs at pace towards the pen area. Is it going to be a foul, a dive, anticipated contact etc, and also, in or out the box. This referee was alert to the prospect of foul/dive, but not as to in or out box....back to basics, a old school diagonal run would have solved that.....instead of taking up the same positon as the back tracking Leicester 4. Plenty clips online show it from refs view...blue 4 blocks refs vision of in/out box.

4 mins 15, stop the above clip. Ref cant see a thing :(

5 yards wider, to left, as taught diagonal from day 1....and he gets a clear view.

Great position? Really? Stop the clip, bang on the point of contact on the foul. Blue 4 blocks the referees view.
As that attack developed, the Madrid player running with ball and about to run from left to right, the referee ran central, anticipating the striker to run into the box, fine, All good and wise, apart from he never counted on a Leicester 4 and 17? also tracking back to defend, from a left positon,chances were, one of the two was going to block his view so had referee been wide, in effect, chasing the Madrid player all the way from when he got the ball in his own half, all the way to the point of contact, wide, he would have had an unobstructed view. Alarm bells should ring when a player runs at pace towards the pen area. Is it going to be a foul, a dive, anticipated contact etc, and also, in or out the box. This referee was alert to the prospect of foul/dive, but not as to in or out box....back to basics, a old school diagonal run would have solved that.....instead of taking up the same positon as the back tracking Leicester 4. Plenty clips online show it from refs view...blue 4 blocks refs vision of in/out box.
Yes, you are totally right. I'd not seen that angle or commentary. It's conclusive. You can even see the ref try to look around the player in the way.

And there is no way for the ref to see the actual contact if the forearm in the back.

He's guessed. And that makes the penalty harsh.

This is where angle is more important than proximity. If the referee moves left rather than forward in the last few yards he has the angle on in/out and a clear view of the challenge.

Easy said in hindsight but this is where the key learning points are for helping others avoid a similar scenario in their game.

I don't know if that's realistic here. It was a very fast break.
A very fast break? Yes ! And I would expect the referee to be right there, up with play, the post above me is correct, 5/6 yards left instead of central and he calls that correct. I would expect a EPL ref to be up with play there, far less one of Europes finest, esp as its on the "non assistant (s) side, no margin for error, he simply MUST get there in time !

Back