A&H

Over-exertive warm up

Yeah, I'm lost here. Did he seriously say 'here's a warmup you're going to do, but I won't be doing it?'
Sounds like an idiot of the highest order.

I'd feel a little annoyed as a ref...unless there was a particular reason given: "I need to do my own particular warmup for an old injury' would be more than enough.
Personally I think the warmup is also an important chance to get to know each other, so it should be done as a team unless there's a pressing reason not to. Some certainly get a little more vigorous than my liking, but each to their own. I don't like it when an AR just 'can't be bothered'....but I also tailor my expectations as a ref to the level of match and the team I'm with if I know them. At any level below 'I think I'm refereeing professional football even though I'm not', I feel like we probably overstate the impact of that whole 'look like a team doing drills before the game'. It's nice and all.
I agree, the match I spoke about was a youth cup game. I genuinely thought we were doing a senior cup game. The briefing was really good before hand, it was good to see. I just think the warm up planned was over exertive for the level of the game we were about to referee.

The warm up, in my opinion was about getting us warm. Jogging, sprinting and moving about. But you do that as you get into a game. There was more of an emphasis on running and getting warm. A warm up is all about getting the muscle groups working, expanding, contracting and working... The important concept is stretching your muscle groups so they don't get over-stretched in a game. This warm up that the referee had in mind wouldn't do that.

I think it's fine personally to decline an organised warm up so long as you had a valid reason. I had a word after the game with the ref and I explained to him why I asked not to do his warm up, he accepted it and realised exactly what I was saying. He was actually opening himself up for more injury. But it wasn't his fault; he'd been in the academy since 14 and never really played any sport, he just focuses on reffing. So, he had the academy tutors teaching him everything about the warm up etc... Not the right way in my opinion but, that's their programme I assume.

Warm ups are very important. If done right, they can save you a lot of trouble. But you have to know your own body for them to be effective.

The Referee Store
Returning next to the original post, is it normal for a coach to email an assistant and ask for them to look after the ref.

I've never had a coach but surely if they felt he wasn't ready for said fixture why did he get appointed to a game that he may be out of his depth?

is it normal for a coach to email an assistant and ask for them to look after the ref.
It's entirely normal when referee secretaries are 'blooding' new, up and coming refs at a higher standard than they are used to refereeing at. Eminently sensible practice to surround the ref with strong, experienced assistants to give them every chance of making the transition as smoothly as possible.

It's entirely normal when referee secretaries are 'blooding' new, up and coming refs at a higher standard than they are used to refereeing at. Eminently sensible practice to surround the ref with strong, experienced assistants to give them every chance of making the transition as smoothly as possible.

And that was vey much the tone of the email.

I read between the lines of the email 'we think he's got the ability, but guide him as he's a little loose'.

And in fairness I wouldn't disagree with that, he had a decent game and made some good decisions, but perhaps needs to just mature emotionally a little bit before he can progress further.

Back