A&H

Penalty

Tino Best

RefChat Addict
Level 6 Referee
Under 16 greens vs U16 blues. 2-0 to Greens and blues get a corner. Ball comes over blue player jumps green player jumps straight into blues back leading with the shoulder and makes considerable contact and wasn't looking at the ball. I am five yards away and could not have a better position if I tried. Blow for penalty. No 5 who committed the foul said but it was a shoulder charge. He was right it was a shoulder charge in the back of a player who had no idea it was coming. Not a shoulder to shoulder challenge where you could argue it was a barge. Penalty scored. Greens still shocked but for me it was nailed on easy decision. Discuss.

The Referee Store
Some decisions seems so easy in match play you then think was that right when you have had a cup of tea and start replaying the game.But during the game it was so obvious!

Some decisions seems so easy in match play you then think was that right when you have had a cup of tea and start replaying the game.But during the game it was so obvious!

If your gut says penalty, it's almost certainly a penalty, is what I've learnt from my experience. You know exactly what you saw. Bang on.

I agree with you reffing is quite instinctive. If you give a decision with no thought it is normally right, or you think you are definitley right.

It was a shoulder into the back with force - what is it you're having doubts on?
The only bit I'm curious about was - did you consider a caution? If not, why not?
May not have been necessary, but just wondering if it was considered.

It was a shoulder into the back with force - what is it you're having doubts on?
The only bit I'm curious about was - did you consider a caution? If not, why not?
May not have been necessary, but just wondering if it was considered.

No I didn't consider a caution although now you have said that it was deliberate and I should have got out my yellow. I knew there was a reason I was thinking about this incident, but would I have cautioned for that in the centre circle? Still not sure.

If your gut says penalty, it's almost certainly a penalty, is what I've learnt from my experience. You know exactly what you saw. Bang on.

Agree Alex, have always found penalty decisions the easiest ones to make, you have to go with your first thought I've found.

No I didn't consider a caution although now you have said that it was deliberate and I should have got out my yellow.
If you're referring to @CapnBloodbeard's post, he doesn't mention it being deliberate, presumably because the question of whether it was deliberate has nothing to do with whether it was worth a caution. I think he's referring to whether it might have been considered reckless and as he says, it might not necessarily have been a caution, he's just asking if you considered it or not.

Looking back I should have cautioned as it was reckless and cowardly. I will learn and card on!

Back