A&H

Open Age Pitch Boundary and throws

RefCrow

It must have been covered many times before, however... Orange vs Blue, Orange player retrieves ball from beyond the boundary rope (outside of field of play) to take a throw in. Instead of coming to the pitch side he takes a quick and long throw from the non pitch side of the boundary rope. A couple of bounces off heads then - goal. Cue blue team in uproar- 'you can't take a throw from there'. I explained to the Captain that I can not see anything in the laws that prevent this from being allowed, possibly unsporting behaviour but I let the goal stand. Comments please....

The Referee Store
Feet on or behind the line? Delivered from behind and over the head? Delivered from the point where the ball left the field of play?

If all are "yes".....play on.

"Delivered from the point where the ball left the field of play?"

If the thrower is 10m behind the line, surely that can be interpreted as not the point where the ball left the field of play...?

"Delivered from the point where the ball left the field of play?"

If the thrower is 10m behind the line, surely that can be interpreted as not the point where the ball left the field of play...?
Stop being pedantic....you know exactly what is being referred to.

I got picked up in an assessement once for allowing a throw from behind the railings/pitch boundary.

Actually what it says is "you allowed a throw in to be taken from behind the railings. Review if this is in compliance with law 15. "

2 points - 1. in the debrief I was lead to believe this wasnt in compliance. 2. This was a couple of years ago but I have double checked the law changes and no wording regarding this has been amended so I am lead to believe that actually a throw in could legally be taken behind the railing/pitch boundary.

Tbf I kind of just accepted what I had been told and didnt double check it... development point for me there.

Be interested to hear other thoughts on this one too.

if the ball is delivered in such a way that it enters the field at the point where it left, you can throw it from wherever you want. if however you are in line with the point where the ball left the field but throw it at an angle, it will enter the field not at the point at which it left. Depending on how far away from the touchline you are, the greater the distance between the point of entry and where it should enter. Simple Pythagoras theorem really

Nice of the assessor to ask you to check and not tell you one way or the other! Part of me thinks it's not in the "spirit of the game", however if the boundary was 5 metres away, it wouldn't of mattered! The ball is delivered at the point it left as it is not in play until it crosses the touch Line.

if the ball is delivered in such a way that it enters the field at the point where it left, you can throw it from wherever you want. if however you are in line with the point where the ball left the field but throw it at an angle, it will enter the field not at the point at which it left. Depending on how far away from the touchline you are, the greater the distance between the point of entry and where it should enter. Simple Pythagoras theorem really
It was thrown directly inline with the goal area at the right spot.

Sorry Brian, but that's just not correct.
The laws state that the throw is taken from where it left the field, not 'taken from where it left the field OR enters from where it left the field'.
From what you're saying a player can take the throw 10 yards down the line and as long as it's taken along the line and enters the right spot it would be fine!

Given that the laws require the throw to be taken from where it left the field of player, consider that here we have the vicinity of the field of play is clearly delineated into the 'active participant' area and the 'spectator' area.

I'm quite confident with assuming that the intent of the laws is that the TI isn't taken from the 'spectator' area.

And oh look! There is even a part of the law that isn't satisfied when this occurs!

Use your judgement on the day but this sounds like an incorrect throw to me.

The expectation from the players is that the player taking the throw will return to the field first - and that's a completely reasonable expectation. If the player is still in the gully beside the field and decides to take a quick throw from down there you're not exactly going to permit that!

So going back to the first sentence of the previous paragraph, one cannot make the argument that there's no impact upon play; if there was no benefit to taking this throw quicker than they should, then they wouldn't have done it. Same as taking it 'down the line' from the mark rather than 'up the line' - they may lose field position but if they weren't benefitting from it they wouldn't do it.

Taking the TI from this far back also changes the trajectory of the throw away from what would otherwise be possible - which, when you're looking at headers, has a significant impact.

And of course, we get to look at all that, as well as our understanding of the spirit of the game in that players should be returning to the vicinity of the FOP before taking a throw, and then look at what the LOTG require.

The TI is taken from where the ball left the FOP.

Was that met?

No.

Stop being pedantic....you know exactly what is being referred to.
Lol. I don't know the answer to this actually. And it's clear this law is not self evident. But, based on the other comments since, I am ordering a retake for a throw 10m behind the line, whether the player is in a gully or not. Being "on the pitch" is useful axiom here. I also remember the futsal law (25cm behind or on the line).

The expectation is that a throw will be taken from close to the line. And always on the grass (easy guide when there is a narrow strip of 4G which is mostly what my pitches have).

Xxx
Kettle

Well, the law IS self evident. I don't see how 'the throw must be taken from where the ball left the field' could be any clearer.
There's a certain leeway for trifling infringements, but that's what the only question is.
If you disallowed the throw and advised players that they need to cross back over the fence/rope, nobody is really going to be able to complain about that.

I know we're not bound by things found in the old Q&A's and Laws but I do think we can look to them for guidance, especially when no subsequent law change contradicts or clearly supersedes their provisions.

Anyway, in the 2006 Q&A's there was the following:
Is there a maximum distance away from the touch line from which a throw-in may be taken?
No. A throw-in should be taken from the place where the ball left the field of play.

Also, and for what it's worth, the Laws up until 1996 had IFAB Decision 4 to Law 15 which stated:
A throw−in taken from any position other than the point where the ball passed over the touch−line
shall be considered to have been improperly thrown in.

The laws of the game says the throw in must be taken from the point at which the ball pet the field of play, so I would say this is a retake. Obviously a couple of yards isn't gonna make a difference but he has gained an unlawful advantage by throwing from that far out, because the opposition were not expecting it. There's no difference if a player moves ten yards up or down the line as if he moves ten yards back from the pitch, if it enables him to take the throw quicker and gain an advantage then it must be penalized with a retake.

The laws of the game says the throw in must be taken from the point at which the ball pet the field of play, so I would say this is a retake. Obviously a couple of yards isn't gonna make a difference but he has gained an unlawful advantage by throwing from that far out, because the opposition were not expecting it. There's no difference if a player moves ten yards up or down the line as if he moves ten yards back from the pitch, if it enables him to take the throw quicker and gain an advantage then it must be penalized with a retake.
If there's an infringement by the thrower at a throwin, the correct response is to award the throw to the opposition.

Still stand by my comment regarding ball entry point (if only for my own amusement)

If there's an infringement by the thrower at a throwin, the correct response is to award the throw to the opposition.

Still stand by my comment regarding ball entry point (if only for my own amusement)

When you say any infringement, what is actually mentioned. I'm aware of foul throws and such, but what else is specifically mentioned? Just for clarity

Think this is one of those that needs actively managing........legal throw or not!
Blow the whistle and retake before you're in the doo doo because a quick goal has been scored from it!
Might not be right, but it'll sure keep the 'peace'.

It amuses me that Padfoot quotes the Law 15 requirements for a throw in (albeit with the older "delivered" rather than the more recent "thrown") to make his point. When Santa Sangria points out correctly that the actual words Padfoot quoted prove him wrong, then HE is condemned for being pedantic. What is that about pots and kettles?....

It seems clear that the Law requires a throw in to be taken from where the ball crossed the line. Simple. Allow a yard or so leeway perhaps, but taking a TI from ten yards back from the line is not on. And if so taken, turn the ball over to the opposition.

Back