A&H

Open Age Pitch Boundary and throws

It amuses me that Padfoot quotes the Law 15 requirements for a throw in (albeit with the older "delivered" rather than the more recent "thrown") to make his point. When Santa Sangria points out correctly that the actual words Padfoot quoted prove him wrong, then HE is condemned for being pedantic. What is that about pots and kettles?....

It seems clear that the Law requires a throw in to be taken from where the ball crossed the line. Simple. Allow a yard or so leeway perhaps, but taking a TI from ten yards back from the line is not on. And if so taken, turn the ball over to the opposition.

Quite simply...."spirit of the game"......if you're going to allow someone to take a throw 1 meter further up the pitch as "leeway" which gains an advantge to the throwing team, surely a throw in taken from a greater distance away from the touchline, but so that the ball enters at the point which it left, thus gaining no advantage, is the epitome of "spirit of the game"?

People get far too hung up on throws....its a simple method of restarting play, which providing someone isn't gaining an advantage over it, should be easily managed using "spirit of the game".

The Referee Store
Quite simply...."spirit of the game"......if you're going to allow someone to take a throw 1 meter further up the pitch as "leeway" which gains an advantge to the throwing team, surely a throw in taken from a greater distance away from the touchline, but so that the ball enters at the point which it left, thus gaining no advantage, is the epitome of "spirit of the game"?

People get far too hung up on throws....its a simple method of restarting play, which providing someone isn't gaining an advantage over it, should be easily managed using "spirit of the game".

I would allow a metre away as leeway, certainly, I would also allow a metre back from touchline. But why should I suddenly allow TEN metres away from the line escapes me. You are an enigma Mr Padfoot. Sometimes you point to exact turns of phrase in certain laws, if it suits your point of view: when it doesn't you cry "pedant" and "spirit of the game". Sometimes I find myself whole heartedly in your camp. Other times I want to beat you around the head with a Law book.

For what it's worth I do agree, a throw in is a simple restart and should not be over refereed. But anything ten metres further along the line IS gaining an advantage. So too is ten metres back towards thrower's own goal. And so is taking a throw ten metres away from touchline. It gains surprise and wrong foots the opposition. Now by all means gain advantages within the Laws, but doing so by BREAKING a Law is most decidedly NOT "spirit of the game"

I've seen many quick throws at all levels where the player is quickly walking back towards the line and tries to quickly take a quick throw, now (just forgetting the positional argument for a sec). What they do, (and without dragging there back foot), they deliver the ball over there head legally, Now, i'm 100% sure that you cannot possible walk / trot / run normally whilst having two feet on the ground at the same time, and its hardly ever given as an incorrectly taken throw at any level!!!

"Just a method of restarting play"....such a meaningless statement. Agree there is no point being overly pedantic, but there's a point where a foul throw becomes a foul throw.

spirit of the game? I think the spirit of the game is that the restart of play occurs in the player's area and not the spectator area :cool:

Perhaps it is a flaw in LOTG that the distance from the touchline for taking a throw is not specified but in a game situation it is just a matter of common sense. If there is some sort of pitch side boundary like a rope or fence in seems reasonable that the throw should be taken from inside that boundary.
I once had a player take a throw in from behind a bush beside the field. He argued in good humour that he was entitled to do so but he knew perfectly well that he was taking the p#*s.

In adult football I just let them take it far back youth football when there is a barrier you can also let them take behind the barrier if they want to take a quick one

In adult football I just let them take it far back youth football when there is a barrier you can also let them take behind the barrier if they want to take a quick one

You can also let them take it one handed if they want to take a long throw ;-)
Think this is one of those that needs actively managing........legal throw or not!
Blow the whistle and retake before you're in the doo doo because a quick goal has been scored from it!
Might not be right, but it'll sure keep the 'peace'.

I'd agree 100% - same with any throw from the wrong place. If you can stop it before the throw has been taken then it's win-win.

How can you actively manage the situation I have quoted. Player retrieves ball, trots over and within a split second throws it.... only two options, blow for the throw to be retaken (or award to opposition - credibility?!) or allow game to continue. I am glad the question has raised some debate but am still no closer to being 100% one way or the other! Would hate to do this but I may mention to CAR and captains at coin toss "lines can you just help the players out and point them to the correct spot for throws and make sure it's within the boundary, cheers". If captains don't pass that on, I'm covered.

Perhaps it is a flaw in LOTG that the distance from the touchline for taking a throw is not specified ...

The Law says:
"At the moment of delivering the ball, the thrower must:
• throw the ball ... from the point where it left the field of play"

How much more specific do you want it to be?

There is a lot in the Laws that is ambiguous...this is simple and clear. If I said to anyone: "throw the ball from the red mat" would anyone assume that standing ten metres behind the red mat and throwing across it meant the same thing?

Gentleman law just as long you shout on throw ins happy where you are and 1-2 yards then I'm happy but any more then I'm blowing for the foul throw

Back