A&H

Junior/Youth Player walking away when trying to caution him

I got another dissent caution today and it was the most obvious decision I will ever given ball gets tackled before goes out off the attacking winger and he says I'm blind so go thank you very much here's your caution

The Referee Store
At lower levels there is definitely a correlation between dissent and the referee making mistakes. Two reasons for this, the obvious one that the referee is making mistakes, but more importantly he isn't dealing with the dissent and as a result it escalates. When observing I always say that I don't care how you deal with the dissent, I just need to see you doing something be that a quiet word, public word, using the captain or a caution. I just want to see it acknowledged, I won't be happy if it is ignored.

In my experience at the higher levels the correlation becomes much less obvious. I've had games where I've hardly got anything wrong, validated by the assessor, yet have had cautions for dissent. Conversely, I've had games where I've made multiple mistakes, again (sadly) validated by assessors, but the players have just got on with it. You see it at the Premier League and Football League, referees will be harangued by players even when they have made the right decision, it is almost coached at that level.

I can honestly say I've assessed / observed candidates at grass roots and they have 100% caused the dissent. Of course that doesn't excuse it, but they've been provocative and wanted to be the centre of attention and put themselves in trouble. Even worse is they haven't dealt with it and it progressed from dissent to OFFINBUS and even in one case violence.

Back