A&H

players understanding of the offside rule!

HertsFinest

Next Weeks Ref
Last game of the season today and 5 in the book from one team for dissent. Over the same decision.

Ball played long. Attacker 10 yards away from defender in offside position.

Defender heads ball clear and lino has flag in the air...

Whole defending team shouting ref look at your lino.

I shout loudly play on no offside.

Players still whining. Book one of the main offenders for dissent for saying 'that's shocking ref" from 30 yards away. Dissent all day for me.

4 more then went into the book for comments made because "its not dissent cos he didn't swear"

Give me strength.

Cue 70 mins left of the game and 70 mins of quiet moaning about every single decision. One of those teams where all are moaning but in a way its hard to single out the ones to book. Think they knew to be fairly quiet as there was a 50% chance of a second yellow for their players!

How can such a basic thing be so universally misunderstood by so many

The Referee Store
Yes. Been there.
One thing I always ask the linos, with the captain present at the coin-toss, is to keep the flag down until the player offside actually touches the ball.
The ignorance of players over the LOTG is poor, though I was no better when I was playing!!

Players .. their own worst enemy! Had a great U18 game yesterday. End to end, 5 cracking goals and looking like no cautions. Then 15 mins from the end, a player who I'd earlier spoken to for comments that came close to dissent decides to have another moan. So I think, stepped approach, get the captain in for a final warning to keep it zipped. Player stands there with grin on his face as I talk to the two of them .. then decides to walk away from the conversation sarcastically clapping. All my efforts to save him ten pounds in vain ;)

Its the non understanding of dissent that gets me.. And its unanimous... Never once had a player accept that "that's shocking ref" from opposite side of pitch is dissent

Some things will used stepped approach

Like ****ing hell ref what's that, from 2 yards will get a quiet word. Shouting "that's shocking" from opposite end is always yellow with no warning for me. But that's never dissent apparently :p

Really winds you up cos I had a great game yesterday. Yet had half of away team (who got their first win of season I should add!) Moaning at final whiistle about me being retrained etc.

Arghhh. Roll on next season eh haha

I was once on the line, 2nd highest level in the state, so a reasonably sizeable crowd, a good few hundred at least in the grandstand behind me.
Twice in the space of a few minutes, the ball went to a defender when there was an offside attacker not involved. The second case the keeper caught it. The offside attacker was only another 10 yards upfield anyway and made a half-hearted jog for the ball, but there was never any question (I know the idea of flagging if it's going to be a 50-50 with the keeper). I mean, these were both completely, inarguably, 'not involved in play'. Not even close. Both times I copped so much abuse, and the second time....wow, it wasn't just a bit of whinging, the entire grandstand wanted to lych me! I was godsmacked at the level of vitriole over these decisions, the keeper screamed at me across the field to 'open my f****** eyes' and pointing at his eyes (gutless wonder of a referee only had a word), it was just absurd the level of abuse of something that was so basic.

Seems an international problem!

And I would have had some words with that ref in the dressing room for that. Whimp.

Get this all the time when I am acting as AR also when you delay your flag and get the "How late" shout.The other one lately is a long punt forward with attackers clearly onside and then make runs beyond the defender and run free, I am then shouting across "Not when the balls was played guys". Had one on Saturday when the right back is stood in line with me stationary with his arm in the air whilst the forward actually ran past him couldn't help but laugh at the one.

Seems an international problem!

And I would have had some words with that ref in the dressing room for that. Whimp.

Sadly, I think that's pretty much in line with what inspectors in my area want to see......Myself? I pretty much lost all respect for the ref at that point. It stinks on the field when your team doesn't have your back.

On the topic of offside, I'm sure we've all experienced the joy of awarding the FK when the ball was played backwards :D

Its the non understanding of dissent that gets me.. And its unanimous... Never once had a player accept that "that's shocking ref" from opposite side of pitch is dissent
Said it before and I'll say it again, the Laws using a word like 'dissent' that isn't in common usage (any more) outside the game is asking for trouble and ignorance. I'd rather C2 was for 'obviously protesting' a decision .. think our tolerance level would stay the same but players would just 'get it' more.

Been there, always getting shouted at for late whistle for offside even though I delay as 2 players go for ball 1 player on and one off so waiting for who interacts...

Had people tell me the ball MUST be stationary at a goal kick and that an IDFK in the box to the defending team doesnt have to leave the 18 yard area to be in play... (cough cough see exhibit 1 Mike Dean QPR vs City). They still didnt have any of it haha

thats exactly why in scotland we dont use unqualified ars just asking for trouble

To be honest, some referees don't even understand the interpretation of the laws themselves. I had an assistant on with me at a final who had his flag up whilst the ball was punted in the air, on a number of occasions. Had to wave him down each time. It is this inconsistency which adds to the problem. The referee the previous week blew for offside, where as the one this week didn't. Some of these referees don't give a damn about keeping up to speed with the laws. They are just happy to renew membership and collect £40 each week.

Is it the way our local associations are communicating the changes? Could this be better? Could we introduce a mandatory 'amendments to the LOTG' class for all referees each season before memberships are renewed?

I think all managers should have to complete Thier referee course and referee 3 11v11 matches (at any age group) before they can have thier managers "licence" (or whatever it is that qualifies them).
I also agree with @the walloper - referees should have to attend a workshop at some point to discuss laws and changes in the laws but make it mandatory.

To be honest, some referees don't even understand the interpretation of the laws themselves. I had an assistant on with me at a final who had his flag up whilst the ball was punted in the air, on a number of occasions. Had to wave him down each time. It is this inconsistency which adds to the problem. The referee the previous week blew for offside, where as the one this week didn't. Some of these referees don't give a damn about keeping up to speed with the laws. They are just happy to renew membership and collect £40 each week.

Is it the way our local associations are communicating the changes? Could this be better? Could we introduce a mandatory 'amendments to the LOTG' class for all referees each season before memberships are renewed?
This is true.
There was a recent thread on here about an offside situation and it became obvious that some referees posted comments that clearly shouwed that they either did not understand the law, or more likely wanted to put their own interpretation on the laws as they felt that the defending team was hard-done by.
Our job is to apply the LOTG as they are phrased.
Personally, I find the offside law one of the easier ones to understand and apply.

Been there, always getting shouted at for late whistle for offside even though I delay as 2 players go for ball 1 player on and one off so waiting for who interacts...

Had people tell me the ball MUST be stationary at a goal kick and that an IDFK in the box to the defending team doesnt have to leave the 18 yard area to be in play... (cough cough see exhibit 1 Mike Dean QPR vs City). They still didnt have any of it haha

What's the rule with goal kicks then? Get this moan a lot. Does it have to be stationary or not

:rolleyes:

I thought we'd come to the conclusion that the lotg were imprecise on this one
We did indeed come to that conclusion quite recently. Logic says the ball should be stationary (as with other restarts like kick offs and FKs) but the LOTG are not explicit

Back