A&H

Polar v800

SM

The avuncular one
Okay, been playing with the polar v800 GPS watch. Lovely looking bit of kit.

Been testing it out against my trusted forerunner 220. Guess what, there are major discrepancies between the 2 devices. In games the polar is still reporting around .5 km less than the forerunner consistently. One of them is obviously wrong.

First up - running at steady pace with one on each wrist leaves them both nearly exactly the same. Very small difference over 5 km. so far so good.

Then I set up a course on the local pitch. First up some change of pace running. Walk, jog, high intensity run. Discrepancies start in terms of distance being recorded.

Then secondly set up 40m sprint. Significant differences start to appear.

When looking at the GPS data when synced to phone, the problem highlighted itself pretty much straight away with the 40m sprints (not so easy to see on the longer change of pace runs). The polar really struggled with sprints and quick change of pace.

Using the lap function for each sprint, alternating between watches to set laps on for each sprint, the other just running (if that makes sense - would be awkward to click lap button on both watches at the same time!)

The polar watch over the 40 m sprint was only recording 10-20m.

When running slightly slower, it performed better, but once sprinting it was really pretty poor. The forerunner gave a reading as you would expect for distance over the sprint. Disappointing showing from the v800.

One issue I noticed when I got home was that the battery was low on the polar even though it's GPS was set to normal mode. Will perform the test again end of next week when I had recovered from upcoming games with a fully charged polar just to make sure the result can be repeated and wasn't a feature of the polar to auto switch to power save mode when sprinting. Even though they are notoriously poor, I will also set my iPhone to record GPS also for a third reading of events.

I may even screen grab the GPS data so you can have a look yourselves. :)

The Referee Store
Could be the refresh rate on the Polar (not sure what the correct term is) but if it's only hitting the satellite every 5 seconds then it could miss all or some of a quick sprint.

I have a Polar 800 and have been using it since the start of the season, I also use it as an everyday watch to monitor steps, sleep etc and I've found the battery life to be very good.

I last charged it Saturday night, and I've not taken it off since Sunday morning. In that time I've done 2 matches 1 middle and one supply u21 line and the battery isn't even half gone yet.

The locations you're wearing it could also have an impact, if the Polar is struggling to get a signal then searching for satellites will have a significant drain on the battery.

I'm not sure what part of Wales you're in, but if you down in the valleys this could be the reason.

I use the V800 and love it. Had the Forerunner 610 before and there isn't a comparison. The V800 seems very accurate to me, if I run round an athletics track it records it as 400m more or less, whereas before the Forerunner was a lot less precise.

All PL and FL referees and assistants wear V800s during games and training, so the sports scientists must trust the data.

Do you do you use the food pod? I suspect this might make a massive difference.

Lol autocorrect eh?

It's a foot pod made out of Bluetooth enabled carrot :)

If you are relying on the foot pod that could be the issue.

Before I got the V800 I had the RCX5 and queried with Polar direct the best version (foot pod or GPS) with my refereeing in mind. The answer came back as go GPS as the foot pod struggles with anything that isn't standard running motions (e.g. Sideways running/ backwards etc)

No I don't have the footpod, was wondering if that would aid GPS accuracy.

When I used the foot pod with the trusty RS400, there was always a discrepancy between wristwatch and upload from my GPS on my phone.

Friday evening I will be physically ready to give it a full test. I'll put in some graphs and everything!!

Back