A&H

Possible dangerous play

Romarque

Good day guys

An incident occurred inside the penalty area in my match yesterday.

Defender was trying to clear a ball that was mid air. As he was about to clear the ball, an attacker tried to get the ball by sticking his head in the way. The ball was closer to the defender as to the attacker. Defender got to the ball first and made contact with the player.
I stopped play but did not award a penalty as I saw it as the attacker endangered himself by committing to a ball that is not playable to him.
Not one member of the attacking team complained about my decision.

Somehow I am not sure I made the correct call. Can someone please advise me.

Thank you

The Referee Store
Good day guys

An incident occurred inside the penalty area in my match yesterday.

Defender was trying to clear a ball that was mid air. As he was about to clear the ball, an attacker tried to get the ball by sticking his head in the way. The ball was closer to the defender as to the attacker. Defender got to the ball first and made contact with the player.
I stopped play but did not award a penalty as I saw it as the attacker endangered himself by committing to a ball that is not playable to him.
Not one member of the attacking team complained about my decision.

Somehow I am not sure I made the correct call. Can someone please advise me.

Thank you
If you think the attacker was endangering himself then you’d award a free kick to the defending team for dangerous play. But unless he really ducked down to get his head to the height of the boot I’d be leaning for a drop ball to the defender

If you think the attacker was endangering himself then you’d award a free kick to the defending team for dangerous play. But unless he really ducked down to get his head to the height of the boot I’d be leaning for a drop ball to the defender
I don't know how you've ended up with a dropped ball for a defender OUMW!
1) it was inside the PA so has to be to the GK
2) either an offence has occurred or it hasn't, it has to be a free kick/PK or play on.

The question that has to be answered for PIADM was a player prevented from playing the ball through fear of injuring themselves or another player. If yes IDFK to the non offending team.

Alternatively, as there resulted in contact you could consider if the attacker was challenging in a careless, reckless, excessive force manner. Direct free kick to defending team.

Or you could consider the defender challenged carelessly, recklessly or excessive force and award a PK.

Finally, you could consider the contact as normal football contact, and play on.

I don't know how you've ended up with a dropped ball for a defender OUMW!
1) it was inside the PA so has to be to the GK
2) either an offence has occurred or it hasn't, it has to be a free kick/PK or play on.

The question that has to be answered for PIADM was a player prevented from playing the ball through fear of injuring themselves or another player. If yes IDFK to the non offending team.

Alternatively, as there resulted in contact you could consider if the attacker was challenging in a careless, reckless, excessive force manner. Direct free kick to defending team.

Or you could consider the defender challenged carelessly, recklessly or excessive force and award a PK.

Finally, you could consider the contact as normal football contact, and play on.
Sorry careless language, meant defending team I.e. goalkeeper

I’d assumed play was stopped for a head injury hence the drop ball?

Yeah, really depends on the exact definition of "mid air" for me.

If it's at normal heading height (chest upwards), then I would be inclined to penalise the foot that's gone too high, which given there's contact would mean penalty.

If it's at normal kicking height (stomach downwards), then it's playing in a dangerous manner by the attacker and defensive IFK is the right call. IFK as the non-contact offence occurred before the contact.

There is a middle-ground (stomach to chest) where you can make a case for either of the above or also for it just being a normal clash. If you say the latter, you're usually obliged to stop play due to the nature of the injury, but would then restart by dropping the ball to the GK as you've essentially deemend no offence.

Back