A&H

Pre match instructions

Step 3-6 Referee/Assistant Referees
Match Officials Update

Substitutes Warming Up
Substitutes for all competitions should warm up in the half of the field opposite to AR1 (left of the
technical area).
Bibs which distinguish the substitutes from the players must be worn.
Obviously the caveat here is that it's step 6 and above.

Those officiating at below Step 6 with NAR's can choose to disregard this best practice if they choose to.

A&H International
Arguably questionably disputable.
It's established in English football from Step 6 right up through the professional game and in the wider international game up to and including the World Cup Final, however if you want to be pedantic, then I'm happy to change it to 'accepted and established practice'

Heck, have your AR's run right backs if you want!

But bringing it back to the OP - first game with neutral AR's why would you advise them to learn something that they'll be expected to 'unlearn' and do in a different way as they get more experience and games with NAR's?

It's established in English football from Step 6 right up through the professional game and in the wider international game up to and including the World Cup Final, however if you want to be pedantic, then I'm happy to change it to 'accepted and established practice'

But bringing it back to the OP - first game with neutral AR's why would you advise them to learn something that they'll be expected to 'unlearn' and do in a different way as they get more experience and games with NAR's?
The advice of mine that you took issue with was to run it as written in competition rules or if not specified, in line with local norms. So yes, get them to do what they're used to doing - which is my area is having the warm up behind AR1.

The advice of mine that you took issue with was to run it as written in competition rules or if not specified, in line with local norms. So yes, get them to do what they're used to doing - which is my area is having the warm up behind AR1.
I didn't 'take issue' with anything @GraemeS

I provided reasons why the guidance should be counter to your view.

It's also established that above grassroots level all the way to the top of the game that the 'accepted and established practice' is to have the subs warming up opposite AR2. This means that assuming OP is going for any form of promotion, they will be running the line at Step 6 or above, where the subs MUST warm up opposite AR2.

I can't fathom why anyone would rationally want to advise a new referee to adopt practices that they will have to completely change the moment they make any form of progression in the game.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I was always taught - 'start as you mean to go on'

Anyway I'm done with this discussion, as I've said if you want do it, or coach refs to do that, or run right backs, or whatever, go for it! 👍🏼

I'm going to do this on a Wessex game sometime...
Did it plenty of times on the very same league, especially Nov/Dec when a bit boggy. Brock springs to mind. Usually got a thanks from the groundskeeper, and always at Moneyfields cos there's that awful bloody lump by the gate which will have a lino's ankles one day.

Really not worth the time 'but heck' this is a ref forum.

There are many things which are supposedly 'best practice' at whatever levels you mentioned untill they change, and then they change again, and then they change again... You use the AR analogy that sites you best. How about which hand to flag offside with. Or where to stand for a corner clicks, for ref or AR. There are lots more.

I am not saying which is best, just saying there are merits in each argument depending on other factors.

I can't fathom why anyone would rationally want to advise a new referee to adopt practices that they will have to completely change the moment they make any form of progression in the game.
Maybe try comparing it to how to apply/signal advantage in England 😉😊

I used to do one half running each wing so the ARs kept the same defence, so that makes me a semi-sicko!

I had an appeal against a player where he stated that the AR couldn't see what he'd done because he was at the other end of the pitch, "because they're always up that end!" We told the commission that actually the AR was 5 feet away from the player since I was running right backs because of a low sun meaning they couldn't see anything while standing on the opposite wing! The player lost his appeal.

Back