A&H

Pre match instructions

Chris.smith.2000

Level 9 Referee
Hey everyone hope your well.

I am a trainee referee and I have a couple of questions.

1. When you get an email from a club confirming
the match, are there any questions that you ask and do you keep the email short.

2. What do you say to the mangers when you meet them for the first time.

3. What do you say to the captains after you done the coin toss.

The Referee Store

the match, are there any questions that you ask and do you keep the email short.

For me. I get the email from the club. I thank them for getting in contact with me and and tell them I am looking forward to the game.

With the managers, I introduce myself. Ask them how they are. And if there are team sheets, I ask them if they are completed and if not, say can I have them by *(example) 2:45pm* completed properly.

For the captains, I don’t say much. I let the away team captain call heads or tails. Let’s say he picks the ball. I ask the home captain if he wants to swap ends. ‘Ok gentlemen, have a good game.’

That’s it for me.

1. Usually just say thanks for confirming and looking forward to it, occasionally ask about any location details if it's a sunday league pitch in a huge area

2. Hi I'm the ref, ****, nice to meet you! If they're away I ask if they've come far etc. Then if relevant (never is at my level) ask for team sheets by a certain time, if relevant ask if they have a club lino I can give a flag to

3. Usually chat to them before the toss because they're more captive, say hello, introduce myself by name, I didn't initially but now I know my style I let them know what I expect, so I like to let a game flow where possible but if it starts getting silly with lots of stop start fouling I'll have to clamp down, if it's early in a season I remind them of any new rules and then say I only want them to come to me on decisions and to control their players. Note: often the players just wanna get on with it so I just do as @dylanbailey4444 does above

Welcome!
On the initial contact, ensure you know venue, pitch number (if more than one), colours, kick off time and whether parking and dressing rooms available.
On arrival, let the manager of the home team know you have arrived, check which dressing rooms the teams and you are using, and which pitch you are on. Polite, friendly and professional.
Captains - "Work with me to make it a good game please" then toss the coin.
Enjoy!

I used to do more, but now I try and keep it simple. I tend to think that they don't really want the ref to overdo it.

"Nice to meet you captains, I'm NNN. I'll let you manage your players behaviour so that I don't have. If I need to I will, and that might mean cards. Other than that, let's have a great game."

1. I confirm attendance and a rough time you'll be there. If it's a cup game I tend to confirm any specific rules e.g subs.

2. Hello, introduce with name, small talk - nice pitch, long journey, how's the season etc. Confirm team sheet time and CAR if applicable.

3. Hi, I'm xyz, introduce assistants (if applicable), happy to talk like this where appropriate but don't scream at me from 30 yards. you know your players so work with me and we'll have a good day. All the best, away team heads or tails in the air.

For me. I get the email from the club. I thank them for getting in contact with me and and tell them I am looking forward to the game.

With the managers, I introduce myself. Ask them how they are. And if there are team sheets, I ask them if they are completed and if not, say can I have them by *(example) 2:45pm* completed properly.

For the captains, I don’t say much. I let the away team captain call heads or tails. Let’s say he picks the ball. I ask the home captain if he wants to swap ends. ‘Ok gentlemen, have a good game.’

That’s it for me.
Thanks you

Following for wisdom!

1: Thanks, see you Saturday.

2: Good Afternoon!

3: Have a good one, fellas.
A few other points:
1. If you have never been to the ground, find out about parking issues. It may be you have to park on the road side, etc. Also, make sure you have a mobile of somebody going on Saturday in case of traffic issues.
2. I better introduction helps....
3. Enjoy. Thats why we are all here!

Back