A&H

Promotion 17/18

The Referee Store
Got my first Supply League assessment of the marking season back.....highest mark I've ever got as a level 4!

(Sounding like a Liverpool fan, but) I really think this is my year! Hopefully this is a good sign. Best of luck to everyone in the upcoming marking season.

@Mewcenary I can see where they are coming from, they explained that by doing a season to season jump gave you at least a year at each level - they did say that they are more disapproving of the 6-4 rather than 7-5 ... which again I do get, big jump from 6 and 4

If
Got my first Supply League assessment of the marking season back.....highest mark I've ever got as a level 4!

(Sounding like a Liverpool fan, but) I really think this is my year! Hopefully this is a good sign. Best of luck to everyone in the upcoming marking season.

If they've started marking for the new season does that mean demotions and promotions from L4/3 etc has been decided? And if so at what point will L5-4s hear about theirs?

If

If they've started marking for the new season does that mean demotions and promotions from L4/3 etc has been decided? And if so at what point will L5-4s hear about theirs?

Well in our CFA promotion seminar, we've been told that they will try to squeeze in a max of 2 observations before the fitness tests. In reality you are not eligible for promotion till you passed both your fitness test and the LOTG exam by the FA and not your CFA. I think that has to do more with managing the number of observations they need to carry out as a county more than anything!

Well in our CFA promotion seminar, we've been told that they will try to squeeze in a max of 2 observations before the fitness tests. In reality you are not eligible for promotion till you passed both your fitness test and the LOTG exam by the FA and not your CFA. I think that has to do more with managing the number of observations they need to carry out as a county more than anything!
@forest96 is a level 4. What I meant was us level5s that have been nominated and are awaiting a decision as to whether we are level 4s nw or we are staying at level 5. So if you have started marking for the new season but joe bloggs is getting demoted why would you observe him? Similarly if johnny is getting promoted why would you observe him @ supply league if he will be refereeing contrib next actual season.

@Mewcenary I can see where they are coming from, they explained that by doing a season to season jump gave you at least a year at each level - they did say that they are more disapproving of the 6-4 rather than 7-5 ... which again I do get, big jump from 6 and 4

I can understand 6-4 as being a massive jump because of the level of commitment required etc, but I think it's a bit myopic to not let people try 7-5. I don't know you Charlie, but what if you're refereeing at the standard of a 5 already? They're making you stay at 6 for a year when you could actually progress and get experience at a higher level.

Interesting the different views you get around the country though. My observer specifically checked I wasn't on 7-6.

each to their own of course - I personally wanted the double jump ... but my society chairman is also chairman of the CFA so I daren't do anything to make him think less of me etc

Was this in the new system? While the Observers understand the guidence, there maybe some unexpected marks.

Agree @Brian Hamilton ?

Was this in the new system? While the Observers understand the guidence, there maybe some unexpected marks.

Agree @Brian Hamilton ?
Agreed but 2 matches in I've just given my highest mark in 5 years and it was sent for moderation and it was regarded as "impressive" by someone who would know.

It will take a while to settle though.

We got the results of the annual pre-season promotion hoedown this week. I got a level up for middles with ladies, boys and girls - but totally gutted not to level up in the men's. Am yet to find out the reasoning. Some surprising omissions from promotion and some, to be kind, surprises on the list. I have hit a bit of a wall with the flag as the next level up across the board is significant and I was expecting another year where I am.

Our outdoor season is about to start. Second training game with the flag yesterday. I am in so much better shape than last year and we haven't even kicked off. I will just keep at it. This is year 5 just starting for me.

My ref yesterday is a top flight AR and I got some fine tuning tips - there are a couple of differences from the UK: slightly lower flag angle for throw-ins, in the top divs AR2 echoes the above head sub signal. I have also been doing flag-pointing-ahead-down when running to clearly show no offside. I learnt that UEFA guidelines are to not do this and run with flag at side normally - mics help here of course. Weirdly young ARs here have used to be trained to hold out the non flag hand to show no offside. I hate that and hope it stops now that a one hand advantage is possible from refs. Anyway details details.

Awaiting my first observation report from the weekend. Annoyingly there aren't many games left in my local OA league this season, so going to have to look further afield for some more games before the close of the season. Luckily my observer this weekend was also a ref sec for an OA league in the next town and has offered me games if needed as some of the teams in their leagues are local to me.

Although I haven't yet been officially promoted to L5, I have been sent the details for the 5-4 promotion so that I can start recording matches. One of the things I did note was that our documentation specifically says that you shouldn't expect to be observed until you've passed the fitness test. Given that not every match is eligible to be observed for 5-4 and that I don't currently get loads of matches from those leagues, I'm a little concerned that I'll be struggling to get in enough observable matches between August and March.

Although I haven't yet been officially promoted to L5, I have been sent the details for the 5-4 promotion so that I can start recording matches. One of the things I did note was that our documentation specifically says that you shouldn't expect to be observed until you've passed the fitness test. Given that not every match is eligible to be observed for 5-4 and that I don't currently get loads of matches from those leagues, I'm a little concerned that I'll be struggling to get in enough observable matches between August and March.

That's how it happens here as well. Candidates won't be observed for 5-4 until they have passed the fitness test, and the fitness tests can't be held until the FA have announced what the criteria will be. It will probably stay at 2600m I guess, but we don't know that.

I struggled getting middles on my local county league as there seems to be a reluctance/bad feeling for the transient 5-4 candidates. I was not alone.

I should have done my perpetration much earlier than sending emails in August expecting games. I should have volunteered lines much earlier.

That's how it happens here as well. Candidates won't be observed for 5-4 until they have passed the fitness test, and the fitness tests can't be held until the FA have announced what the criteria will be. It will probably stay at 2600m I guess, but we don't know that.
Not 100% sure I understand this approach.
1) this season, and last, I have been sent an email stating the criteria for promotion in or around end of jan early feb. And this year there has been a change which I'd be unhappy if that were to be inaccurate mainly because
2) any prospective 5-4 candidate is paying £50 to be on the scheme. Therefore, they have paid for their observations. If they have 2-3 assessments and fail the test then that is their responsibility. If you fail the test do you get your £50 back. I know promotion is deferred but what if that puts someone off? Do they get a refund?? Marking season is march to Feb. I dont understand that approach either ( why not just run in line with the actual football season?) So in my view you should be able to be observed following acceptance on to the scheme. OR counties should hold their fitness tests much earlier. Moving the marking season would be ideal as then you could hold fitness tests in the break just before returning for the season.

Personally it hasnt affected me, I had 2 observations in before last season was out

Not 100% sure I understand this approach.
1) this season, and last, I have been sent an email stating the criteria for promotion in or around end of jan early feb. And this year there has been a change which I'd be unhappy if that were to be inaccurate mainly because
2) any prospective 5-4 candidate is paying £50 to be on the scheme. Therefore, they have paid for their observations. If they have 2-3 assessments and fail the test then that is their responsibility. If you fail the test do you get your £50 back. I know promotion is deferred but what if that puts someone off? Do they get a refund?? Marking season is march to Feb. I dont understand that approach either ( why not just run in line with the actual football season?) So in my view you should be able to be observed following acceptance on to the scheme. OR counties should hold their fitness tests much earlier. Moving the marking season would be ideal as then you could hold fitness tests in the break just before returning for the season.

Personally it hasnt affected me, I had 2 observations in before last season was out

They are guessing that the criteria won't change and effectively gambling on that. It doesn't change very often, but for example, when it changed from 2500m to 2600m that was announced well after March if my memory serves me correctly. It is also unclear what is happening with the forms, the FA have for two years now said that 5-4 will switch to the new style "tick box forms", but as yet that hasn't happened.

Last year the FA only sent the criteria for 5-4 candidates on 12th August 2016 so if any of those criteria had changed any observations carried out before that date could well have been invalid. It also clearly stated that ...

Successfully complete a Contributory League Assistant Referee Fitness Test between 1st July 2016 – 28th February 2017, prior to nomination

So any fitness tests carried out before 1st July 2016 would be invalid.

They are guessing that the criteria won't change and effectively gambling on that. It doesn't change very often, but for example, when it changed from 2500m to 2600m that was announced well after March if my memory serves me correctly. It is also unclear what is happening with the forms, the FA have for two years now said that 5-4 will switch to the new style "tick box forms", but as yet that hasn't happened.

Last year the FA only sent the criteria for 5-4 candidates on 12th August 2016 so if any of those criteria had changed any observations carried out before that date could well have been invalid. It also clearly stated that ...

Successfully complete a Contributory League Assistant Referee Fitness Test between 1st July 2016 – 28th February 2017, prior to nomination

So any fitness tests carried out before 1st July 2016 would be invalid.

But the criteria that I have been sent, this year, for 2017/18 have changed vs previous year. How are they second guessing the changes in criteria?

Its possible that these are only county level changes, I assume to be nominated to FA in 1st place.
It does not quote any distance/average mark. That is to be set.
But why should you need to know what the average mark is to be observed? If its 73 or 70 or 75. Your observation would still be valid - why wouldnt it be? Again I dont see why you have to wait to have completed the test before being observed. Its the referees responsibility to be ready to pass any such test of fitness seeing as the scheme for promotion, initially at least, is a.voluntary one.

Back