A&H

Proper little nugget this one

RegalRef

Politically Incorrect
Stole a great little tip from an experienced colleague I ran the line for today, thought it would be worth sharing on here - particularly for young or inexperienced assistants.

Assuming you get team sheets (I'm imagining most leagues requiring NAR's it will be a mandatory) before the game, write the number 3's first name on the back of your hand.

Most teams with a standard 1-11 tend to place 3 as their left back, so assuming you're running the usual outside rights he'll be the player closest to you and with a similar view to you for offsides and the like.

Use the first name at the appropriate time to build rapport and he can become very useful. Everybody likes to feel important.

Also this player's movement around the field can help you relay messages. Tried it today in the first half of my game. A couple of quick chats with 'James' I knew I had him on side. 20 minutes in "James - tell your keeper to not come outside the box with the ball in his hands from the long kicks". Quick yapping between the two and a thumbs up in my direction from the keeper.

Saves bawling across the pitch.

Of course there is the chance 3 isn't the left back, as was the case in the second half, but being the cool cat I am (!) I had a sneaky look before half time and saw he was actually number 8.

Worked in the second half too. Close offside where attacker was level and centre back (captain) was making extended appeals that he was offside. "You had the same view as me Adam, he was level. Please tell him to pipe down." Another quick conversation between the two and captain gobsh¡te shuts up. "Cheers Adam", thumbs up comes back from 'Adam'.

The Referee Store
Highly recommend this post's advice. As said, can be a superb working tool as NAR!
I too picked it up from a more experienced, although lower level, AR when he ran my line. Saw him writing down lads names and asked why, he explained pretty much the above.
Week or so later, I'm being assessed on a Contrib line and got praised for my communication (or whatever it was called on Contrib AR reports at the time) with this exact method used as the examples to justify my exceedingly (and fully undeserved btw) high mark!

Back