Refsworld UK

Racism/abuse from spectators

Discussion in 'Tricks of the trade' started by Jim Garrett, May 9, 2017.

1. Jim Garrett

Jim Garrett New Member Level 7 Referee

County FA/Organisation:
    Wiltshire
    Hi there. So there has been a bit if talk over the last few weeks regarding referees not doing anything should a player report to you a racial or abusive remark.

Can we assume here that we as the referee has not heard anything .

What should we as a referee do if someone tells you that they have been racially or otherwise abused either by a player, coach and even a spectator

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Refsworld UK Advertisement Refsworld UK

Refsworld UK
  4. James Long

James Long Well-Known Member Level 4 Referee

County FA/Organisation:
    Cheshire
    I believe that even if we havent heard it ourselves we are duty bound to report it. If you havent seen or heard you are powerless to do anything at the time but it should still be reported.

baga1965 likes this.
  5. Padfoot

Padfoot The Enlightened One

Send in an Extraordinary Incident report via Wholegame.

Explain that you didn't hear/see anything but that it was reported to you.

6. santa sangria

santa sangria Well-Known Member

I don't think we are powerless to do anything. OK, you haven't heard anything. But depending on the context, the reactions of spectators, players, benches, and your own common sense... there are things you can do. If the benches are heated then it makes sense to talk to them and calm them down. If you've got 12 players in your face arguing about racist language, maybe it makes sense to get the captains in and remind them that racist abuse cannot be tolerated.

7. richard ramjane

richard ramjane Well-Known Member Level 7 Referee

County FA/Organisation:
    Essex
    and at the time that the player is in front of you ? explain to them that as you heard nothing you cannot take any action there and then but that you will be reporting things as per @Padfoot s post above?
    also if it involves 2 players, or players / coaches do you take a 'statement' from all concerned, or just the aggrieved ?

8. James Long

County FA/Organisation:
    Cheshire
    Yeh sorry I meant in terms of actual disciplinary sanctions. I know that where there are stewards etc you can ask for a greater presence but most of us are not quite at that level.

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  9. Brian Hamilton

Brian Hamilton I am the storm Observer/Tutor

Not heard it? Can't do anything during the game except to make it clear that it will be reported. As an Observer I made a report on a discriminatory comment that neither the referee nor the assistant heard, but it was overheard by spectators in the stand. The match officials reported they hadn't heard it, the spectator and club Secretary report supported my account and the person received an extensive stadium ban.

10. James Long

County FA/Organisation:
    Cheshire
    Which is the point i am trying to make :)

11. Brian Hamilton

Brian Hamilton I am the storm Observer/Tutor

Well done you for being right

drahc likes this.
  12. Sheffields Finest

Sheffields Finest Well-Known Member

County FA/Organisation:
    Non-affiliated
    If there aren't at least 10 of them then it didn't happen!!!! :(....

13. Nalbi

Nalbi Active Member Level 5 Referee

County FA/Organisation:
    Manchester FA
    On a side note, what about claims of agreesive behaviour or threats? This happened during my first season, the lad (U-17) came to me and claimed that the assistant coach has threatened to knock him out as he was running past him and instructed his players to purposefully injure him... what do you do then? You haven't heard anything, you where no where close to hearing or noticing anything. Do you still have it as an extraordinary report too?

14. James Long

County FA/Organisation:
    Cheshire
    Similar scenario as this is a safeguarding issue. Even if normally they aren't whilstever they have the flag they are a rep of the club and should behave as so. That said I think if it was a just a spectator we'd also be obliged to report it.
    Remember that u18s are still children and should be treat as so.
    Most youth leagues and counties have a specific welfare officer so I'd be inclined to report the matter to them also

Brian Hamilton likes this.
  15. QuaverRef

QuaverRef Member Level 7 Referee

I had something similar the other week. A player on one side came up to be at half time saying that the captain had threatened to 'break his legs' and was advising players to take him out. I hadn't heard it so I couldn't speak to the captain incase the player was lying so I just simply told him 'I'll keep an eye on it'. Slightly different if a coach/manager etc has said it, maybe put in a misconduct report into the Wholegame system stating what had been said but clearly state that you hadn't heard it yourself.

16. Sheffields Finest

Sheffields Finest Well-Known Member

County FA/Organisation:
    Non-affiliated
    I stopped a Junior game once (next break in play) when a manager shouted to his full back to take out an advancing striker to 'f'kin snap him'.. he said!!
    I was astounded that a man in such a position to teach and educate his junior team could actually shout that. He got a royal bollocking!!! Quiet as a mouse after that!!!

deusex likes this.