A&H

RC/YC?

Nalbi

Level 4 Referee
Right this has been playing tricks on my mind since i gave the decision, so if dropped one on this I hold my hand up and acknowledge it...

So last week's game Home Reds vs Away Oranges, H7 attacking and chasing down a ball in the right flank, defending A3 closes in and challenges him successfully i was about 10-15 yds clear view of that no issues of the challenge. As H7 falls to the ground, he holds onto A3 legs and tries to pull him down and stop him from playing on. I blew my whistle and knew sth was going to happen, I am running to be closer and hope to stop anything before it escalates further. Alas A3 reacts badly tries to wrestle his legs free from H7 who is on the floor clutching him. What I saw is this: A3 certainly is aggressive he first pulls his leg back then up and then again forwards into H7. Initial thinking in my head as I am rushing towards them, crap he just kneed him. Naturally H7 clutches his face.

I isolate A3 and as I am talking to him I was replaying the incident in my mind, I also checked up on H7 can't see any signs of an injury and I eventually decided to YC A3 for AA. My rationale is, he reacted aggressively yes while he was trying to free his leg... I am not entirely sure he kicked at H7, but surely he lined himself nicely for a RC had I gone down that route. What I am pretty sure of is he didn't have any contact with H7 face or neck in his attempt to free his leg. and obviously I cautioned H7 for that pull.

The Referee Store
Personally I would not cautioned him for his leg pull in my opinion his just trying to free his legs the home player is in the wrong and I agree with the caution for him

Sorry @ref craig , you wouldn't have cautioned the H7 for causing the incident. Without him, nothing happens so his is a "nailed on caution" for USB, so a MISSED CAUTION on my report for you.

@Nalbi - two cautions seems the the sensible solution. A3, while aggressive, was no violent so YC for AA is correct. I hope you did the A3 first, as to calm things down and then do H7.

Sorry @ref craig , you wouldn't have cautioned the H7 for causing the incident. Without him, nothing happens so his is a "nailed on caution" for USB, so a MISSED CAUTION on my report for you.

@Nalbi - two cautions seems the the sensible solution. A3, while aggressive, was no violent so YC for AA is correct. I hope you did the A3 first, as to calm things down and then do H7.
Yeah that's exactly how I did it. Pulled A3 first to an isolated area, told his teammates and opposition to stay away, their input was not needed and of no interest to me. I firmly told him he was being silly and stupid to being pulled into this and gave me an easy YC to give. I told him I saw the foul on him and he heard me blow for it, no need to take matters into your own hands.
I was helped by the fact that H7 was still on the floor. As he started jogging away, called him back and cautioned him. just to clarify i restarted with a FK for away team.

The reason why how on earth is a player that is holding another player legs going to get out of another player holding him I'm sorry but I'm not cautioning a player that is trying too free himself

The reason why how on earth is a player that is holding another player legs going to get out of another player holding him I'm sorry but I'm not cautioning a player that is trying too free himself

He shouldn't do anything at all, you saw it you blew the whistle for the foul right away. you were running towards them and clearly shouting I've seen it, leave it number 3. Then after all this he decides to aggressively kick at someone on the floor. sorry he was lucky not to get a RC. H7 was on the floor, his head in a dangerous close proximity to A3, as any sane human being thinking would know that he can cause grievous injuries if he kicks at someones head or neck at such small distance with any sort of force. so no it is never ever justified.

Forget for a minute that he was trying to free his leg. let's re-imagine the same scenario in a slightly different context. H7 fouls A3, you recognised the foul and blow for it with every intention to YC H7. Before you could do that, A3 aggressively shoves H7 in the chest and back onto the floor. isn't that a YC? it is still a foul for A3 nothing changes that, but the aggressive reaction is key here: 2 wrongs don't make a right!

Right I get that in that scenario that that is a complete different kettle of fish. In this scenario I myself if I was that exact player I would of done the exact same thing if that was a real life scenario and someone out of football grabbed me by the legs I'd of tried to realise my legs in a fashion to atleast escape and that in my opinion is what this player is trying to do for me it's not aa and I still stand by what I say.

Attempted to knee? Did he need to pull his leg back/up to generate enough force to free it?
From your description it sounds like a missed dismissal for VC, although without seeing the incident it's very hard to be certain. For me, it reads like the A3 player has tried to generate excessive force and attempted to knee/kick an opponent, relying on being able to claim he was just trying to free his leg.

Forget for a minute that he was trying to free his leg. let's re-imagine the same scenario in a slightly different context. H7 fouls A3, you recognised the foul and blow for it with every intention to YC H7. Before you could do that, A3 aggressively shoves H7 in the chest and back onto the floor. isn't that a YC? it is still a foul for A3 nothing changes that, but the aggressive reaction is key here: 2 wrongs don't make a right!

Errrr...no. It's a red card for VC.

Back