A&H

Ref: Stories from the weekend

Ive been told at developmemt sessions about talking to players, and ive heard it quite a bit when on the line for academy guys, and also working with higher level refs on the ryman development league.

I cant say its something ive come across much in grass roots games.

I guess constant chatting at least reminds the players that youre close by so might make them think twice before doing something stupid.

Im not talkative by nature, had a really tame womens game last week and i hardly said a word for most of it, there wasnt even any holding at corners etc.

Does it help with match control and building up a raport with players?

The Referee Store

I definitely think it does. But you don't want to come across too matey. I tend to chat to players I've reffed before and who have been friendly.

I went through all this bla bla. You can't view it on the app, iPad/iPhone, or safari - it requires flash. Need to go to a laptop or computer and use chrome, follow the link above, and then you can watch a very generic program featuring everything we already know about refereeing. Enjoy.
Someone's not very impressed!

I find it does. After my game yesterday the home manager, whose team lost 4-2 and conceded a penalty, specifically thanked me for talking to the players as much as I did, as it allowed them to understand what I'd given. Alot of the time they just want an explanation, but they then get riled up when referees aren't willing to give them one.

Ive been told at developmemt sessions about talking to players, and ive heard it quite a bit when on the line for academy guys, and also working with higher level refs on the ryman development league.

I cant say its something ive come across much in grass roots games.

I guess constant chatting at least reminds the players that youre close by so might make them think twice before doing something stupid.

Im not talkative by nature, had a really tame womens game last week and i hardly said a word for most of it, there wasnt even any holding at corners etc.

I try to talk to the players during games and it works. There are less surprises when you give a decision after advising "no hands" etc and often get players saying to the offender, "he has just told you not to do it" when you blow.

My observer commented on it in a recent game and said it was a good skill (not that I would call it that) to have as eased match control.

I've managed to download this and upload it to my Dropbox. If anyone would like me to send them the link, please PM me.

Just watched the first 30 of this thanks to CA who sent me a link. Pretty disappointed so far.
If you remove the slow motion clips of Oliver there's about 10 mins of substance.
Good to see the ladies are being promoted above their ability outside of Manchester too. The referee called Honor has the body language of a first season level 7. Don't get me wrong, so did I once, but then I was a bloody level 7!! Nearly choked on my easter egg when I saw "Level 5" next to her name. Not her fault in fairness
That Mark Cairnes is a cut above the rest (as you would expect).
The ref with his shirt hanging out looks like a bag of s*** to be honest.
Makes us look poor on average.... sadly, I can't say it's an unfair representation :/

Last edited:
Just watched the first 30 of this thanks to CA who sent me a link. Pretty disappointed so far.
If you remove the slow motiosn clips of Oliver there's about 10 mins of substance.
Good to see the ladies are being promoted above their ability outside of Manchester too. The referee called Honor has the body language of a first season level 7. Don't get me wrong, so did I once, but then I was a bloody level 7!! Nearly choked on my easter egg when I saw "Level 5" nest to her name. Not her fault in fairness
That Mark Cairnes is a cut above the rest (as you would expect).
The ref with his shirt hanging out looks like a bag of s*** to be honest.
Makes us look poor on average.... sadly, I can't say it's an unfair representation :/
Would agree with your comments having watched it I had to say I was horrified by the standards of some of them...now whether that is due to the makers portraying them like that or not? However, I did worry for the standard of refereeing in England.

Just watched this and have to say it didn't paint a great picture. Looked like some of the guys on the line really didn't want to be there
On a positive I did notice a particular bit of kit in Mr Olivers kitbag :D
IMG_0056.JPG

I have to agree that it wasn't great, not terrible, but not great.

I think the ex premier league guy, the welsh guy were good, the young level 4 guy on the line might have been, but he didn't get much camera time so its hard to tell.

The problem with these sorts of things is that CFAs will put forward their "stars"

The problem with these sorts of things is that CFAs will put forward their "stars"

If that was the case god help us.

The flag technique of one of the ARs was worse than most CARs.... he looked like he didn't want to be there.
If he's like that when the cameras are rolling......

I didn't think it painted the ex-pro (cannot recall his name) in a particularly good light. It always seemed to show him moaning because, as he was an ex-pro he should, by right be fast tracked to the top and refereeing top flight football without having to start where we all do and work our way up.

It is a shame he has chosen to stop officiating though, more ex-players taking up the whistle is surely a good thing and perhaps he should have looked at working with the FA to develop a CORE like academy for ex-players much like the CFA's do with younger officials (queue someone telling me there probably already is one of these in place).

I didn't think it painted the ex-pro (cannot recall his name) in a particularly good light. It always seemed to show him moaning because, as he was an ex-pro he should, by right be fast tracked to the top and refereeing top flight football without having to start where we all do and work our way up.

It is a shame he has chosen to stop officiating though, more ex-players taking up the whistle is surely a good thing and perhaps he should have looked at working with the FA to develop a CORE like academy for ex-players much like the CFA's do with younger officials (queue someone telling me there probably already is one of these in place).
sadly he looked like the i have played the game i should be in the select group brigade

Back