A&H

Referee Misconduct form wrong - What happens next?

QuaverRef

I used to be indecisive but now i'm not so sure
Level 4 Referee
This is coming from my experience as a manager/player rather than a referee. We've recently had a misconduct form submitted against a player in our club which is partially incorrect. The misconduct form basically stated that a spectator ran onto the pitch, attacking a player. The spectator was removed and the game continued. The actual incident was the player which was attacked, was pinning another player on the floor by their throat. Multiple spectators ran onto the pitch and around 8-10 players/spectators were fighting. 3 red cards and 6 yellows handed out. Although his part is correct, huge chunks of story (including cards) haven't been submitted so this has been appealed to the FA, including statements from people on the sideline.

This isn't something I've been involved in previously so what normally happens from here? Is this likely to end up in a misconduct hearing etc?

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Depends what has been appealed I guess.

You can't appeal yellows as you know, and each red would need to be appealed and separate hearing held for each one I'm guessing?

I suspect one or both clubs have also been charged with failing to control their spectators/players as well.

Again it would depend on clubs response to those charges if there were personal hearings held or not.

Others may be able to offer a more definitive answer though.

Depends what has been appealed I guess.

You can't appeal yellows as you know, and each red would need to be appealed and separate hearing held for each one I'm guessing?

I suspect one or both clubs have also been charged with failing to control their spectators/players as well.

Again it would depend on clubs response to those charges if there were personal hearings held or not.

Others may be able to offer a more definitive answer though.

Sorry, appeal may be the wrong word in this case. Technically, we have nothing to appeal. A spectator did run on the pitch and attack someone. However, the referee didn't report the other spectators, any bookings or red cards to the FA. They were completely unaware of any all of that until I phoned them up

Sorry, appeal may be the wrong word in this case. Technically, we have nothing to appeal. A spectator did run on the pitch and attack someone. However, the referee didn't report the other spectators, any bookings or red cards to the FA. They were completely unaware of any all of that until I phoned them up

I think you can plead guilty, but add "mitigation".

Believe that can be done in person or in writing.

If you don't want to appeal. Why/what do you want here?

I'm asking what happens after you notify the FA that a referee has failed to notify them of bookings and key points of a game during a misconduct form

Although his part is correct, huge chunks of story (including cards) haven't been submitted so this has been appealed to the FA
What have you appealed - the part which is correct or the huge chunks which haven't been submitted? What is the point of an appeal if you accept the claim or, alternatively, no claim has been made?

On an administration note I assume that you receive notification of the referees report from the relevant association/league - correct? If so, does this notification explain your options in terms of making a response?

I'm asking what happens after you notify the FA that a referee has failed to notify them of bookings and key points of a game during a misconduct form
I understand that this was a serious situation so you want the authorities to have a clear picture of what happened.
I'm still interested though - what is the outcome, or change of outcome you are looking for here?

What have you appealed - the part which is correct or the huge chunks which haven't been submitted? What is the point of an appeal if you accept the claim or, alternatively, no claim has been made?

On an administration note I assume that you receive notification of the referees report from the relevant association/league - correct? If so, does this notification explain your options in terms of making a response?

We've been contacted directly by the FA asking for the name of the spectator and the reason he ran onto the pitch. Once the scenario has been described, it was evident to the FA that no cautions/red cards had been submitted by the official.

Just to clarify the above, we aren't looking for anything. The FA came to us rather than the other way around. I'm just curious about what the potential outcome for the referee could be, and how far our involvement in this will stretch

We've been contacted directly by the FA asking for the name of the spectator and the reason he ran onto the pitch. Once the scenario has been described, it was evident to the FA that no cautions/red cards had been submitted by the official.

Just to clarify the above, we aren't looking for anything. The FA came to us rather than the other way around. I'm just curious about what the potential outcome for the referee could be, and how far our involvement in this will stretch
Roger that. Bizarre. I hope the ref has a good excuse for not inputting all the info.

Your club will no doubt be charged with failing to control, the spectator handed a banning order (if you name him or if you don't there may be further charges)

The referee will have dented any promotion chances and potentially lead to a suspension.

That seems a strange request from the FA. Why would the want the name of the spectator and what would they do if they had the name?

That seems a strange request from the FA. Why would the want the name of the spectator and what would they do if they had the name?

The report stated that a spectator has ran onto the pitch, but said spectator is actually a player signed on with the club, but was injured and not named that day.

The report stated that a spectator has ran onto the pitch, but said spectator is actually a player signed on with the club, but was injured and not named that day.

So he is a spectator then. If he isn't on the team sheet he can't be dealt with as a player as I understand it.

To answer your original question, the FA can only go on the referee's report. If there's a hearing your club can plead their case, but ultimately the referee was the only neutral person who can report misconduct, unless there were neutral assistants.

So he is a spectator then. If he isn't on the team sheet he can't be dealt with as a player as I understand it.

To answer your original question, the FA can only go on the referee's report. If there's a hearing your club can plead their case, but ultimately the referee was the only neutral person who can report misconduct, unless there were neutral assistants.

Ah, I didn't know that was the case!

No assistants, but the leagues chairman was there and I believe they have been contacted

The discipline report will have been processed via whole game at the same time as the misconduct. It might just be that the FA have jumped on this bit first and the discipline will follow. It seems odd that the ref puts the misconduct in but not the cards.

They would look on the system to see whether that person is a participant in football (I see from above that he is), and if that's the case, then he could be looking an individual misconduct charge himself, as well as any possible charge against the club for failing to control their spectators.

Regarding the lack of reports for everything else that went on, as you've sent statements from people from your club, the County FA would then be able to go to the other club involved to ask for their observations, and depending on what responses they receive they could potentially raise further charges.

If you're a 'participant' within football (coach, referee, player etc) and you are involved in misconduct as a spectator you can be individually charged.

Back to the op......are you saying that the ref hasn't submitted any of the cards issued? He's only submitted the spectator incident?

If you're a 'participant' within football (coach, referee, player etc) and you are involved in misconduct as a spectator you can be individually charged.

Back to the op......are you saying that the ref hasn't submitted any of the cards issued? He's only submitted the spectator incident?

Yes. I meant it won't help the club get a lesser charge by the fact he was a non active player. As he's not on the team sheet he is to all intents and purposes a supporter, just means that as well as the club getting charged he can also be charged as a registered player.

Exactly right, which has thrown us as one red card incident was the reason the spectator incident happened. We were unaware that these hadn't been submitted until the phone call had been made. The FA called us up and asked what happened, the moment I mentioned a card was shown they immediately stopped me and said 'can you just repeat that again?'. After that, they asked me to tell them about any other yellow/reds I saw during the game

Back