A&H

Refereeing with 1 NAR

Will_A

Level 4 Referee
I’ve been given a game that initially had no NAR’s but have, at the last minute, been appointed just one NAR.

I planned to keep the NAR on the dugout side and then have each team provide a CAR for 45 minutes each.

Has anyone had similar in the past and how did you find it? Any tips?

The Referee Store
I’ve been given a game that initially had no NAR’s but have, at the last minute, been appointed just one NAR.

I planned to keep the NAR on the dugout side and then have each team provide a CAR for 45 minutes each.

Just make sure the teams know the score before you arrive at the game.
Brief each CAR prior to their half.
Remind folks it's preseason when you need to and to just crack on with it.
Have you done an ask in the Facebook group or see if anyone in the WhatsApp fancies it?
I've got COVID so I can't help, otherwise I'd have considered it 👍 (at the tail end now thankfully!)

I've been the NAR in question before - the ref in question chose to just use a single volunteer for both halves. He was a parent of one of the players (U23) and having him do both halves meant we included him in the pre-match briefing, but it did still seem a little strange to have him do his "own" and opponents back lines in different halves.

If you can get 2 volunteers I'd definitely take that, but be aware that competition rules* might mean subs and/or named team officials may not be allowed to do it, so it might be hard to find more than 1.

*appreciate it's pre-season, but I'd look at the normal league rules anyway

I had it a couple of times at contrib level, once where an AR didn't arrive due to a motorway crash and the other when the AR went down injured after 5 minutes. All you can really do is make it clear to the teams that the game will be played, so they can either agree on a replacement or you will just do it with two officials with you taking offsides in the half without an AR. On both cases there were arguments as the replacement ARs were connected to the home teams, but once they realised the alternative both teams accepted it.

With one NAR, assuming you trust him, you can also cheat your positioning to the other end, and rely on the NAR for more help at his end than you would with two NARs.

Have you done an ask in the Facebook group or see if anyone in the WhatsApp fancies it?
Apparently it was the request of the clubs, the step 6 side didn't have anyone to do it and the step 7 side have a designated bloke who does it every week.

The NAR did the step 6 sides back line and was effectively a CAR with a bit more trust placed on him!

Pre-season shenanigans and the game went fairly smoothly!

Hope covid isn’t treating you too badly, I had it 3 weeks ago and it was horrible!

Last edited:

Had it in a league game last year - set your stall early and make players aware that the CAR will have your full protection.

My game started with players thinking they could get away with anything towards them, I made it abundantly clear after only 5 minutes to the captains that a single word towards the CAR would be a sin bin. This stopped it and thankfully both halves were then played with very little chat at all towards any of us.

My pre match with the NAR involved me giving him a wider area of credibility as I was going to be over the far side more often to assist the CAR.

Back