A&H

Removing shirt before goal

Absolutely sure. You can't celebrate a goal hasn't been scored, and unless I am missing something obvious law doesn't reference a "premature celebration".
The law doesn't say that an excessive celebration is only penalised if it occurs after the goal is scored so celebrations before the scoring of the goal can also be penalised. I think it is clear in this case that the player is celebrating a goal which is about to be scored imminently.

The Referee Store

What is the foul for? What is the yellow card for?

I think my option of

Stop play - correct equipment - drop ball - run for your life

Is more supported by law.
Justifying a yellow card is easy—USB showing disrespect for the game. Not saying to go there without exacerbating factors, but the Laws justification is easy.

Justifying a yellow card is easy—USB showing disrespect for the game. Not saying to go there without exacerbating factors, but the Laws justification is easy.
I would argue law 4 probably trumps that. It is clear that play continues until s break in play to correct the equipment, so what exactly is he being cautioned for?

I would argue law 4 probably trumps that. It is clear that play continues until s break in play to correct the equipment, so what exactly is he being cautioned for?
This isn’t an equipment failure like a shoe falling off or a shin pad falling out. This is a deliberate act. IFAB has defined the taking of a shirt off to celebrate a goal as a caution. It’s hardly a stretch to say that taking off the shirt to celebrate before scoring is disrespectful to the game and warrants a caution for USB. Again, I‘m not going there and cancelling a goal unless there are additional factors that exacerbate the unsporting nature.

This isn’t an equipment failure like a shoe falling off or a shin pad falling out. This is a deliberate act. IFAB has defined the taking of a shirt off to celebrate a goal as a caution. It’s hardly a stretch to say that taking off the shirt to celebrate before scoring is disrespectful to the game and warrants a caution for USB. Again, I‘m not going there and cancelling a goal unless there are additional factors that exacerbate the unsporting nature.
Shirt off and a two handed groin chop directed at opposition spectators?

Shirt off and a two handed groin chop directed at opposition spectators?
giphy.gif

Another badly worded law perhaps. And in fairness I'm fine with a caution for the goal celebration, even if it was a bit premature, but I'm struggling to see any justification to disallow the goal, that is the key point.

Another badly worded law perhaps. And in fairness I'm fine with a caution for the goal celebration, even if it was a bit premature, but I'm struggling to see any justification to disallow the goal, that is the key point.
That’s not hard at all. If a USB act happened before the goal was scored, it’s an IFK restart. (I think it is harder to technically justify the caution without taking the goal away, as the USB happened before the goal. But I think it is still usually the better answer.)

That’s not hard at all. If a USB act happened before the goal was scored, it’s an IFK restart. (I think it is harder to technically justify the caution without taking the goal away, as the USB happened before the goal. But I think it is still usually the better answer.)
Will have to agree to disagree, lots of talk of "what the game expects" and "spirit of the game" these days, and I think the only people even considering this being disallowed are some referees.

Will have to agree to disagree, lots of talk of "what the game expects" and "spirit of the game" these days, and I think the only people even considering this being disallowed are some referees.
I’m not sure we actually disagree on what to do in practice. As I posted above, absent exacerbating factors, I‘m giving the goal and cautioning before the KO.

Bringing this back up to ask a separate point. I think I know the answer

Removing a shirt is only cautionable during celebration of a goal? I’ve seen clips from professional games with subs being booked as the take their top off whilst leaving the fop but the shirt removing bullet point is only under excessive celebration.

(Also dont know how long a thread is considered dead)

Are you sure it was for removing their shirt? I have seen plenty clips making something look like something else by clever editing.

(Also if you think you are "bringing it back up" then I'd say even you think it's a dead thread, especially if it's "a separate point. Any issues with starting a new thread?)

Back