A&H

Restart after a goal

WilliamD

Level 4 Referee
Just curious whether you restart with a whistle or not after a goal. (Let's leave the Mike Dean thing to the other thread)

I have been watching to make sure everyone is on the right side of the field and blowing a quick whistle as soon as players are in their own half...some players have looked surprised to hear my whistle some have looked like they are waiting to hear it to start...I know in law the play has restarted when the ball moves so probably not necessary to whistle, but just wondering what everyone does here.

The Referee Store
Of course you restart with the whistle. Why wouldn't you? Leaves everybody in no doubt and it's the most appropriate way to recommence proceedings. I've never known/seen a ref allow a kick off without the whistle .... ?? :)

I don't whistle for a goal (which I've seen done and always seems to cause confusion), but definitely do to restart play. Unless it's the first KO of the match, it'll be a quick and sharp peep though, rather than anything lung-busting.

Isn't it in the LOTG that a whistle is required for restart after a goal?

Correct me if I'm wrong

Isn't it in the LOTG that a whistle is required for restart after a goal?

Correct me if I'm wrong

well, it says the referee gives a signal.... i dont think it specifically mentions whistle.
We had a ref a couple of weeks ago simply say to us , 'away you go lads' at every restart after a goal

that's what I like about this forum...a bit of reassurance. Just one too many players looking at me weird when I was blowing the whistle for a restart.

As @richard ramjane says LOTG only says "gives a signal"...but in the "practical guidelines" on pg 186 it does say to restart with a whistle...which is why I have been doing it!

Thanks! I'll keep doing what I'm doing on this one!

Back