A&H

Restart after a incorrect drop ball

Macagibson101

So basically, corner comes in ball goes out of the goal area but I see a mini scrap between orange keeper and green 8. Stop play, deal with that. Restart with a drop ball from where play was stopped. Orange moaning since they have the ball it should be passed back but I told them I can't manufacture the outcome of a drop ball because of the new law. Anyway, basically I tell both players going to contest the ball has to bounce. Green touches the ball before it bounced. Is this a retake or an IDFK. I gave a retake but was unsure.

The Referee Store
Retake of dropped ball is correct - it has not re-entered play until it bounces, so restart with drop ball if someone kicks it before it bounces.

But for me, if there is a scrap (mini or otherwise) in the penalty area, no way am I going to restart with a drop ball. If I've no idea what's going on or who started it, I'll always give keeper the benefit of the doubt and give him a free kick to restart.

Not saying what I'd do is correct in law ...

Refjef is right, if there was a scuffle and you have to start play the restart should either be a penalty or defensive free kick.

If it was bad end enough to stop play I'd also be contemplating a yellow a price for AA, possibly a red VC but that Utd take it beyond the minor scuffle stage.

But, you were r Get in retaking the dropped ball, it's not in play til it's bounced and been kicked, it would only be an idfk if one layer kicked it twice

This "not allowed to manufacture the outcome of a dropped ball", have referees ever been able to do that? As far as I was aware and what I've done since I started, is say "I can't decide what happens, you do as you like".

This "not allowed to manufacture the outcome of a dropped ball", have referees ever been able to do that? As far as I was aware and what I've done since I started, is say "I can't decide what happens, you do as you like".

I think some referees are reading too much into this law change, it is really just putting something in black and white that hasn't already been in writing.

My view is that asking a player to kick it back isn't manufacturing the outcome, it is only suggesting it. If the players don't agree then you have a dropped ball, and all this law is saying is you cannot tell one team they can't contest it. Likewise dropping it for the keeper when he had possession when play was stopped, it only manufacturers the outcome if an opponent wants to get involved to contest it and you refuse to allow him.

I think some referees are reading too much into this law change, it is really just putting something in black and white that hasn't already been in writing.

My view is that asking a player to kick it back isn't manufacturing the outcome, it is only suggesting it. If the players don't agree then you have a dropped ball, and all this law is saying is you cannot tell one team they can't contest it. Likewise dropping it for the keeper when he had possession when play was stopped, it only manufacturers the outcome if an opponent wants to get involved to contest it and you refuse to allow him.

One team were asking why is he contesting basically that was my reason, I couldn't force him not to.

Upon reflection, I should of gave a foul. Don't really know what I was thinking. But I'm 16 refereeing men's games and still got plenty to learn!

I think everyone has done this and immediately regretted it. As @RefJef alluded to, contested drop balls in either PA are to be avoided at all costs, as they will almost always lead to problems. "Seeing" an offence that justifies a defensive FK is a safe way to play this situation that is unlikely to cause too much fuss, wheras a drop ball could lead to anything happening.

Upon reflection, I should of gave a foul. Don't really know what I was thinking. But I'm 16 refereeing men's games and still got plenty to learn!

Don't worry about it, we all have things like this when we first start out.

Making mistakes is the only way we learn.

Back