A&H

Open Age Retake or Play on...

Pierluigi

This is an incident from the start of the season that I have just remembered after reviewing some old assessments. I awarded a free kick to Team A just inside their own half. They tried to take the free-kick quickly (meaning I could ensure players were at the appropriate distance) attempting to gain an advantage and start a counter attack. However the ball struck a player from Team B in the back as he was running away from the ball seeking to take up the appropriate distance. The possession of the ball then passed over to Team B.

Two questions:

1. What would you do next?

2. What happened next?

The Referee Store
As he was attempting to take up the appropriate distance I'd probably play on. It's Team A's fault for kicking it at him.
As for what happened next, sod's law dictates that Team B go on to score...

Team b player made no effort to disrupt the pass, so no caution but it should be a retake as the player is not the required distance.

Play on. The team taking the kick are not obliged to wait until the opponents have moved the required distance. if they choose to take the free kick however and there is no deliberate attemtp on the part of the offending team to interfere, then allow play to continue.

In simple terms, they tried to go quickly, it backfired, they've had their chance.

I thought that Brian until I checked with the magic book. It makes reference to cautions for players encroaching or making a deliberate attempt to play the ball with a quick take (delay of game). However, I could see no mention of a quick free kick which is not deliberately but still is blocked? All I could find was if there is an opponent closer than the required distance at the fk, then it is a retake.

Maybe I missed it. I was sure I had read in there somewhere about playing on from an OP situation, but couldn't find it earlier.

Distance
If a player decides to take a free kick quickly and an opponent who is less than 9.15 m (10 yds) from the ball intercepts it, the referee must allow play to continue.

Page 131 LotG

P.S. Wish I'd seen your follow up post before spending 5 minutes looking for the above :)

Thanks guys, I can confirm I allowed play to go on and yes a goal was scored! Then the assessor comes up with this in his report! (Sorry for the CAPS, the assessor must have got a bit excited writing the report!)

'THE MAIN POINT OF THE MATCH HAPPENED IN THE 13th MIN WHEN AFTER AWARDING A FREE KICK TO TEAM A THEY TRIED TO TAKE IT QUICKLY ONLY TO SUCCED IN HITTING A TEAM B PLAYER WHO WAS STANDING LESS THAN THE RECOMMENDED DISTANCE FROM THE BALL. THE BALL BROKE TO TEAM B WHO WENT ON TO SCORE A GOAL. YOU DECIDED THAT THE TEAM B PLAYER DID NOT DELIBERATLY INTRFEAR WITH THE KICK SO LET PLAY PROCCED. I ASKED TWO QUESTION WHICH COULD HAVE HELPED YOU ONE BEING DID YOU INSTRUCT THE PLAYER TO RETREAT AND SECONDLY YOU COULD HAVE STOPPED PLAY AND ORDERED A RETAKE WHICH COULD HAVE SAVED YOU SOME GRIEF.'

(Also seems like the assessor could do with some spelling lessons!!)

The assessor may also wish to consult the law - ten yards is not the 'recommended' distance, but the 'required' distance - a subtle but significant difference.

Back