A&H

Safeguarding Children

SLI39

I am currently re-applying to a Saturday league on which I have refereed for several years, and it asks for the referee's safeguarding children status. I received my last certificate in October 2014 and, as such, this will expire a month into next season. Interestingly, this was accepted on Whole Game when I registered with my local FA. Last time I had to attend an evening course outside my county because options were extremely limited. There were suggestions from my main referees' secretary that he could direct me to a safeguarding course online, but for now I will submit the registration form with a TBC and wait for further information.
If you have any knowledge of this issue, please let me know.

Last edited:
The Referee Store
I would get on a safeguarding course ASAP. It just will make every ones life easier. And it also means that you have done it for next year instead of forgetting and having to rush it next year.

Thanks, I have discovered the only summer workshop within 20 miles of where I live is fully booked, and no other dates have been released. Having accessed the active learning page of the FA website, I see that it isn't offering me a chance to renew via the online accreditation (brought in last year, I believe). I think my local club is going to provide a mass renewal session for its referees in the near future, but if not I'll assume the certificate only has to be valid at the start of the season and look for a course in the autumn.

That does strike me as a little strange that you can't reapply online. I had to do an evening course early on in my career to get my first pass, but when I had to reapply this year it was just an online process, coupled with an ID check at my county FA. I'd consider dropping your RDO an email and seeing if they have any suggestions?

Thanks for the suggestions. A stitch in time saves nine approach mostly staves off any bureaucratic nightmares!

I renewed mine online last year. You have to attend a course for the first one, but not renewals. Assuming you can do that too, which doesn't limit you to specific dates, I'd wait until near the expiry of your current certificate and then renew it (which will give you three years from that point, rather than from now).

my county FA e-mailed me renewal details which included their login details and password or pin which were required to start the process. No need to attend any course as I did online training when this was first introduced. I then had to take my ID to county FA for them to complete my application and I had to pay £10.
I did this earlier this month and I received my new certificate within a week of starting the process even though it did say could take up to 6 weeks. Interestingly no expiry date on new certificate.

They last three years which ever company you use. I have 2 at the moment 6 months apart both full disclosures.

Back