A&H

Junior/Youth Saturday...

BGreenbank

Hi all,

In my game on Saturday it was all fine up until one point. Goes out for a red throw, red takes the throw. As he's taking it, blue keeper shouts to me that he needs to do his laces up. As the throw has already been taken I say I can't stop it and carry on.

30 seconds or so later, blue keeper saves a shot and gets winded. Keeper throws the ball out to receive treatment and I stop play and wave on the manager / physio. Instead of coming on to treat the injured player, the manager comes over to me and stands right into my face asking why I didn't let him do his laces up. Clear attempt to intimidate me, a young ref, who is about 30 years younger than him. :confused: I say to him that it's their job to do their laces up and (unless it interferes with play) I can't just stop the game. Eventually he goes off and play continues.

Just a couple of questions:
  • Was I right - in law - to refuse to stop play at that time.
  • What should I have done with the manager? Sent him away? Asked him to calm down?
  • How can I prevent anything like this happening in the future?
Thanks for your help :)

The Referee Store
@BGreenbank - you did right in law not to stop the game. Once the manager came to you and not treat the player - tell to leave the FOP. Either he leaves CV voluntarily, or you send him off!

Unless it is kids....of course, who cannot do their own shoe laces.

All depends on the age group....and how benevolent I am feeling.

Normally, anything u13 upwards gets less sympathy towards "Laces, ref".......

1. You were right to let play continue.
2. All you can do with the manager is explain the LOTG to him and point out that a referee can't just stop play to "be nice" and let somebody tie their shoelace.
3. You can't stop it happening again. All you can do is manage the situation as you did. If you want to blow your whistle whilst the ball is out of play (before the throw has been correctly taken) and ask the opposition to give the GK a couple of seconds to tie his shoelace then that's your call (doesn't mean the opponent taking the throw has to comply mind you ;) ) but you're under no obligation to.

I've seen the tactic used to waste time and to allow a defence to regroup so I generally tend to ignore any request for that sort of thing.
Another side to the coin however is to ask yourself (as a referee): "If my boot lace was undone and I couldn't run properly for fear of my boot coming off - would I pause proceedings (whilst the ball was out of play) briefly to allow myself to tie my lace?". If the answer to that is yes (as a player once pointed out to me ;) ) then perhaps you should extend a player the same respect/courtesy. ;) :)
Whatever, it's a situation that can cause resentment/complications if handled incorrectly. Each match is different. :cool:

if you want to blow your whistle whilst the ball is out of play (before the throw has been correctly taken) and ask the opposition to give the GK a couple of seconds to tie his shoelace then that's your call (doesn't mean the opponent taking the throw has to comply mind you ;) ) but you're under no obligation to.

I've seen the tactic used to waste time and to allow a defence to regroup so I generally tend to ignore any request for that sort of thing.

Aren't keepers the only players that we have to allow to correct equipment on the field of play.

Aren't keepers the only players that we have to allow to correct equipment on the field of play.

Not as far as I'm aware?
Common sense would dictate that you might show more leniency towards a GK that for example, needed to put his glove back on before a free kick was taken at him or something, or perhaps to adjust head gear (if worn) but a boot lace? - no different to any other outfield player. :)

Back