A&H

Scott Brown! Agree?

The Referee Store
SFA are the joke that keeps on giving.
If that red is incorrect in law then I need to redo the basic ref course
Way to undermine your refs fellas....
Agree - myself and every referee I've spoken to think it was a red card.

There is nothing I hate more than a a governing body overturning a red (except mistaken identity ala Kiran Gibbs incident). It's one of the biggest decisions we have to make and we do it with the best of intentions and full of context of the moment.

For some **** to sit in an office and watch it on slow mo replay and say "nah" boils my blood. This ref has every right to feel massively let down by the SFA.

On a slightly different note, what's the AR doing coming in and grabbing a player to take him away? Not the wisest of ideas

On a slightly different note, what's the AR doing coming in and grabbing a player to take him away? Not the wisest of ideas

You rather the assistant watched the 2 players leather the $hite out of each other then inform the referee to send them both off, making a one tackle situation into a 3 red card situation, the assistant has been proactive and arguably prevented 2 further red cards/injury/risk of brawl escalating....England certainly seem to observe mass brawls then act, in Scotland, its taught to by all means view, but also put out as many small fires are you can at the same time, different coaching principles I guess

The assistant is preventing/defusing a conflict, I very much doubt I can think of too many instances when an official would need a players physical presence to prevent the official committing an act of violence etc
Everyone involved in that situation is content, the blue player has been prevented from continuing his aggression, the Celtic player does not have a chance to retaliate and the assistant is sure of his own safety and confident enough to deal with the situation. Prevention.
As said, in England you are educated not to touch, but to watch then act, in Scotland the teaching is different, you cant fault the assistant for doing as he has been taught.
If you are bored enough I am sure you can find hours of clips of Collinia man handling plenty of players, including one I cba to find where he as good as punches a player in the chest. If its good enough for him, then am sure an assistant at a game in Dingwall can be excused.

As said, in England you are educated not to touch, but to watch then act, in Scotland the teaching is different, you cant fault the assistant for doing as he has been taught.
I find that physical contact with players is generally discouraged in Scotland too. This has come up several times in my RA meetings and the advice has always been to avoid contact wherever possible.

That's the thing about management of situations, sometimes, you need to do what you need to do, if being a presence and being a barrier/taking a trouble maker away from trouble is the required thing to do then why not?
You must have seen clips of Collina pushing players away, Dallas/Clark/McCurry in effect wrestling players in Old Firm games and so on....if its good enough for them.....

I suppose a lot boils down to your own character, we have even had Madden/Beaton/Conroy man handling fans of late, some guys will stand watch, some will run away, and some will go with instinct and take preventative measures, all about different personalities....

You must have seen clips of Collina pushing players away, Dallas/Clark/McCurry in effect wrestling players in Old Firm games and so on....if its good enough for them.....
What was taught and what worked 10-15 years ago is not the same as what's taught today and what works today.

Proactive management cant always be taught....its something you either have or you don't
If you want to watch a brawl then issue all your sanctions fine, some officials will at least try to take preventative measures within reason. What actual harm did this assist do? Other than saying "he should not be putting hands on a player", did his actions help or inflame this situation. Your welcome to your view. My view is his actions put out a small flame in a bigger fire, and certainly you wont find the blue player having any complaints that he was taken away from the danger area by the official....
Near every class 1 referee prematch I have heard will elude to "if you can help to put out small fires at a mass confrontation great", as well as also having triangular view points/deal with tech areas etc...
its whatever works for your game I guess. I would bet my mortgage the assistant in this clip received credit from the supervisor for his actions, as well as from the referee for taking preventative action.

Somewhat stupidly looking back I've waded into quite a few 1 v 1 fights to grab one of the aggressors, its helped me no end on occasions, but looking back I can see the issue when it goes wrong but its the proactive Dad in me that kicks in. Its not a thing i'd recommend as good practice, i'm a big lad, that helps, but at the time its worked for me...If its more than 1 v 1 and you need to take big steps backwards, blow that whistle and hope that common sense prevails... and then dish out some justice!!! :cool:

I once waded into a mass conf, really just to pull out one player to try and calm it down, and I took a stray elbow on the nose and went down like a sack of spuds with blood all over my face. No intent to hit me, he was probably pulling his arm back to punch someone else, but the fact remains I got clobbered and had to go off.

Never, ever, go into a mass conf or try to get hold of players. Leave them to it, watch, observer, and deal with it after.

I once waded into a mass conf, really just to pull out one player to try and calm it down, and I took a stray elbow on the nose and went down like a sack of spuds with blood all over my face. No intent to hit me, he was probably pulling his arm back to punch someone else, but the fact remains I got clobbered and had to go off.

Never, ever, go into a mass conf or try to get hold of players. Leave them to it, watch, observer, and deal with it after.

Totally disagree, you can never say never, a referee has many tools of the trade, a whistle, a personality, a voice and also a presence, you can deem it rare, you can deem it inadvisable, but to say never is extreme, you had a bad experience, granted, sounds like an accident, if the ball hits you full face in the middle of the park accidently are you going to say don't referee at all in case the ball hits you? If you personally wont involve yourself in a mass confrontation, that is your prerogative, but I would be a bit bewildered by say an assistant who could have got between two players over a "handbag" incident but chose to stand idly by and then deal with the afters...not much game management or awareness of the overall situation going on there.

you can never say never, a referee has many tools of the trade, a whistle, a personality, a voice and also a presence, you can deem it rare, you can deem it inadvisable, but to say never is extreme, you had a bad experience, granted, sounds like an accident,
Never :)

Back