A&H

Scott Brown! Agree?

Your bravadoism is affecting your judgement CM.
A player who touches me in the manner seen in the vid is having an early bath. I have no business using force against a player.

The Referee Store
I will at most try and get involved to stop two players squaring up turning into anything uglier - as soon as an actual punch is thrown or a third player gets involved, I'm getting straight out of there and starting to take notes.

You can't see properly to give correct sanctions from the middle of a melee. Unless you think you're capable of single handedly stopping 22 other people from fighting, your job is literally to stand to one side and watch. Sure, the assistant got one man out of there - but for the entire time he's needlessly getting involved, anything could have been going on around that side and it would go unpunished because the referee and other assistant assume he's watching.

If we complain when we are manhandled by players surely we can not manhandle the players ourselves. Whats good for the goose.............

I don't referee to risk getting the proverbial knocked out of me so I sure as hell won't go looking for potential trouble by getting involved. Step back, takes notes and then deal with the aftermath. In this example the officials felt he was in a safe enough environment to get actively involved. He had other officials with him, plenty of stewards etc on the sidelines and chances are if a player started to retaliate against him he would be rescued by A.N Other.

If you tried to do that on a Sunday morning, I bet you will be the last one anyone gives any consideration to when it comes to a rescue.

If we complain when we are manhandled by players surely we can not manhandle the players ourselves. Whats good for the goose.............

The difference being the officials are taking proactive preventative measures, whereas the players are taking aggressive preventable measures...

In an article in the Refereeing Magazine Vol 5, published jointly by the FA & RA, Howard Webb explains how when a mass confrontation develops, the referee and assistants are supposed to stand back and observe. He described how he dealt with a mass confrontation in a game he was refereeing. Although he initially tried to keep two antagonistic players apart, once other players rushed in and it became a mass confrontation, he realised he had to get himself out of the melee so he could observe and deal with it properly. He also mentions how his assistants followed the recomended procedure of observing and not getting involved either:
I faced a mass confrontation so took up a position to observe the melee as accurately as possible whilst also ensuring that I didn't 'lose' the two instigators .... My key priority was my personal safety – even big guys can be inadvertently knocked to the floor!

It was reassuring to see that my colleagues had followed my pre-match instructions and had left their touchline positions to adopt the viewing positions outlined in my pre-match instructions: the assistant nearest to the incident looking, together with myself, for the initial instigators whilst the other assistant looked for players coming into the melee from distance to become unnecessarily involved.

I will see your Webb and raise you the man regarded as the referee of referees...

Someone who retired 12 years ago and only in Europe shouldn't be held up as an example of how to referee nowadays in the UK I don't think. And yet....you still haven't provided an example of him charging into a mass con to pull individuals out?

Its about how actual contact with players is not a never

And seeing as you are probably aware he is the head of UEFA refereeing, I think the example is crystal

Its about how actual contact with players is not a never

And seeing as you are probably aware he is the head of UEFA refereeing, I think the example is crystal
Once again, and it's points you keep missing:
  • What worked 10+ years ago no longer necessarily works.
  • What worked for Collina will almost certainly not work for 99% of referees out there.
  • Where does it say anything about Collina telling referees to lay their hands on players? What you show from a video ~14 years old does not translate to current policy/practice, no matter who the head of refereeing is.

Different world. Police stewards assistants not a lone ref on a field in the middle of nowhere. I agree stand your ground but if we want to take the moral high ground the manhandling of the players is unacceptable. I think a ref who gets involved physically is more likely to enflame the situation rather than calm it down. The FA's should be protecting us but if we start to get physical it is going to make it harder for them to do that.

I guess touching players is still never to be done despite last nights Utd brawl....plenty hands on action by the officials...preventative, calm, firm, open handed, not clenched, waist height not face.....
Although back to school for referee for showing red for vc to two players at same time.....basics

I once stopped an u15 running in to lamp someone in a melee. I clothlined him, just like a dad stopping his kids fighting! I stopped the 'assault' in its tracks, got some fantastic praise from the parents after the game. I wouldn't recommend it with the big boys but it worked that day!

Back