A&H

SFP against own manager ??? !

Ciley Myrus

RefChat Addict

clearly meant SFP in title....

I guess if you can be sent off for punching a team mate, why not for wiping out your own manager...

Last edited:
The Referee Store
I messed up the post above and don't know how to delete it. My bad. What I was going to say was...that tackle, on an opponent, in middle of park, red card ?
So, now take the same tackle, but Windass wipes out Brendan Rodgers. Red card ??
Or if you want to keep it to players rather than coach, wipes out Celtic sub who is returning to tech area. Red card ?

..or if the same tackle wipes out an AR?

Here it looks like the Celtic player commits an offence (push in the back) but the contact with the coach is incidental and accidental.
Careless for me, DFK.

But a push to send a player flying into a hoarding, other player, coach, official... that endangers the safety... justifiable RC, of course.

Yes, I did mean to add, just the tackle, hypothetically, Leaving aside the initial wee push. If that tackle which wipes out the manager was committed against an opponent in middle of park you could justify a red card.
My point was if that tackle alone, accidental, sliding, but wiped out, say the Celtic manager, or indeed AR, it would be an interesting sanction

The player has a duty of care to his fellow players on the pitch - hence such a tackle could see red against another player in the middle of the park - but does he have a duty of care to coaching staff etc. on the side?

I don't know, just asking

I agree with the principal that a push can suddenly before SFP if a solid object becomes involved. The same push that in the middle of the pitch is merely careless can become very dangerous if a goalpost or advertising board if made contact with as a result.

It can't be SFP, that can only be committed against an opponent (check the Glossary), but if it is taken as Violent Conduct then you can be red carded for attacking your own manager....players have been sent off in the past for attacking fans who invaded the pitch...

Violent conduct is violent regardless of who its against

I merely asked, if the tackle on the clip wiped out Rodgers instead of Rangers manager, do we then have a serious problem

Yes its a nudge
I meant, ignore the nudge and if was simply the tackle

Wish i had not asked
Unfortunately, I don't think you can ignore the nudge, as without the nudge, this is just a player launching himself at a manager: which is of course VC. So the answer to the question you're asking is: yes, a player lunging at an opposing manager would be sent off. I'm not sure that really needs to be discussed in detail!

But (IMO) that's a less interesting discussion than the idea of a player getting in trouble for a sneaky push causing an unpleasant collision.

It was hypothetical. The clip was merely relevant because its topical as it happened at the weekend, the "nudge" part of the clip was nothing to do with my badly worded intro, it was the actual wiping out of the manager I was trying to envisage, clearly accidental, and if the "tackle" happened on opposing manager without the push but due to an unfortunate slip the same, would we be dismissing the player. that's all

not earth shattering I know

Back