A&H

Signal for a goal

Southend-ref

Southend United Supporter
Level 6 Referee
In a goal/no goal situation when, as AR, you want to give a goal, which signal should you use? Some referees say flag straight up then run to the halfway line, others say just run back without a flag.

The Referee Store
Your referee should be informing you of what he wants from you pre match , if he doesnt ask him !

I personally go for big thumbs up , flag down and back to the halfway line as quick as possible?

Pages 91 & 92 of the good book deal with this one for us:
LOTG p92 said:
When a goal has been scored but the ball appears still to be in play, the assistant referee must first raise his flag to attract the referee’s attention then continue with the normal goal procedure of running quickly 25-30 metres along the touch line towards the halfway line.
One important thing from the signalling point of view, ensure you are on the goal line before you signal and wait briefly after the whistle so that people see you credibly placed to make the decision.

Last edited:
If it's an obvious goal, no flag. Just run quickly 25-30 metres along the touch line towards the halfway line. (Which you should be able to infer from the quote @ASM put above.

I have an additional button on my buzzer flag. When I press it it triggers GOAL to be displayed on the big video screens, and if it was the home side scoring their music anthem blares out of the PA system as well. When I'm on planet Earth though, for "obvious" goals, its eye-contact with the ref and a nod of the head (ie I've seen nothing that would disallow the goal); for non-obvious goals, as above - flag up whilst on the goal-line, wait for whistle, run back up field.

Second ASM always make sure when you signal that you are in a credable position always follow the ball to the end

You mean 90 degrees? 45 would be pointing at the ground
Yeah that's what I do... If it's an obvious goal I do roughly 45 if it's tight, it's flag, 90 and run

Back