A&H

Simulation - stop play, or carry on?

Players have such a distorted view of advantage. I had one of Saturday where red team skipper was tripped, but recovered his footing and played a through ball to an attacker 1 v 1 with the keeper. I signalled for an advantage, but the striker took a heavy touch and the keeper was able to slide and collect the ball. Immediately skipper was in my ear with 'We'll have the free kick ref' and 'Where's the advantage there?!'

On the OP, unless the advantage was leading to a very clear goalscoring opportunity (so defender dives to try and win a foul and striker is left clean through on goal) I am never going to be playing advantage for simulation. Simulation makes players very angry, and the last thing I want is to be turning my back on them to follow play.

The Referee Store
I had one the other week, foul on the edge of the area, but attackers retained possession dribbled it into the area, had a shot from about 6yds that went wide.

Apparently letting them have a shot from close range wasn't much of an advantage

On a side issue, on Saturday the number of complaints (verging on dissent) I got for giving free kicks rather than playing advantage in red zone areas was amazing. The level of understanding is generally very poor (this was U15s; in fairness, quite a fast-paced match) because, on the other hand, I once tried to play advantage and came back when no progress was made in field; parents reacted, and the home manager actually, to his credit, spoke up to defend my decision.
How strict were you being do you think?
I have been doing a few mid-level 15-18 year old games (and assisting on higher level youth games). Early in this season (which is nearly over here) I realised that I was being too strict, especially in some girls' games. What I've tried to do is show/tell players I have seen tiny fouls, accidental contact and incidental contact and let them carry on when they keep possession and obviously want to play - without using advantage signals which would be over the top and become way too frequent.

Back