A&H

Open Age Simulation

zarathustra

RefChat Addict
Had an incident, or perhaps a non-incident in my game today which got me thinking.

It was the 91st minute in a fairly tame game, the assessor counted 30 free kicks in all, but none of which required anything more than a quick chat.

Stripes are 3-1 down when one of the yellow forwards runs into the penalty area, wide of the goal but obviously looking for a cross.

One of the stripes defenders puts in a good sliding tackle and knocks the ball out for a throw, but the tackle makes the yellow forward fall, theatrically, to the ground.

In this instance I didn't caution the attacker as while he went down I wasn't convinced it was a "dive", and he'd not appealed for the foul, so settled for a quick word that was along the lines of "the tackle was good, I'm not accusing you of diving, but it was a bit theatrical mate".

The players were happy, and after the game the assessor was happy that a quiet word was acceptable in that situation

So, my question is, how do you differentiate between a "dive" and someone who innocently falls over or loses their footing?

I know some times it will be obvious, but I tend to give the player who went down the benefit of the doubt.

The Referee Store
Couple of thoughts...

30 free kicks is above average for most of the games I referee/assess and suspect there may have been an element of persistent infringement at some point which needed a little more than a QW.

Many others have posted links on simulation before if you search for them. A couple of things indicate simulation, one is the angle of the arms and the other is the body shape. A fall will generally see the arms pointing down, but a simulation will see the arms raised to the sky in an attempt to emphasise the fact that it was a foul. The shape of the back also gives clues. The falling man will make a concave shape relative to the ground, shaped like this (. The simulating man will make a convex shape relative to the ground, shaped like this )

Thanks Brian, I'll have a search of the forums to see if I can dig something up on recognising simulation.

In terms of the number of free kicks, to be honest I didn't think I'd given that many, but I don't doubt what the assessor saw.

There were a couple of players on either team who were only 1 or two fouls away from a card, but I can only assume they saw sense and controlled themselves.

I did ask the assessor after the match as there were a few times where I didn't give a card and then thought perhaps I should have done, but he said I hadn't missed any cautions etc. But, I'll take your advice on board and will get a tighter grip of persistent infringers in my games moving forwards.

Thanks Brian, I'll have a search of the forums to see if I can dig something up on recognising simulation.

In terms of the number of free kicks, to be honest I didn't think I'd given that many, but I don't doubt what the assessor saw.

There were a couple of players on either team who were only 1 or two fouls away from a card, but I can only assume they saw sense and controlled themselves.

I did ask the assessor after the match as there were a few times where I didn't give a card and then thought perhaps I should have done, but he said I hadn't missed any cautions etc. But, I'll take your advice on board and will get a tighter grip of persistent infringers in my games moving forwards.
It doesn't always need a card but maybe a hard word to blue 3 will make red 5 think a split second longer before committing his 3rd foul. Red 5's 3rd could be the little trip that sparks a mass confrontation...

Also if the assessor has 30 fouls recorded it's likely there was a couple more and then there's your advantages played. Make's it not a dirty game but a more challenging game because of the marginal effect of each foul.

It doesn't always need a card but maybe a hard word to blue 3 will make red 5 think a split second longer before committing his 3rd foul. Red 5's 3rd could be the little trip that sparks a mass confrontation...

Also if the assessor has 30 fouls recorded it's likely there was a couple more and then there's your advantages played. Make's it not a dirty game but a more challenging game because of the marginal effect of each foul.

Thanks, that's why I like this place, hearing different opinions on incidents/games helps you see things from a different perspective.

I'll wait to see exactly what the assessment says when it comes through, a day where you don't learn something new is a wasted day.

Thanks, that's why I like this place, hearing different opinions on incidents/games helps you see things from a different perspective.

I'll wait to see exactly what the assessment says when it comes through, a day where you don't learn something new is a wasted day.
Check my comment on your annoyance about the subs

The falling man will make a concave shape relative to the ground, shaped like this (. The simulating man will make a convex shape relative to the ground, shaped like this )

What absolutely excellent advice.

Never thought of that way but very simple.

Back