A&H

Sin Bin - Guinea pigs

If I was refereeing on a league testing this out then I would be very pro-active before game started. I would be speaking to players when doing equipment check telling them I did not want to sin bin them so asking them not to put me in that position by not saying anything or doing anything like kicking the ball away or throwing arms in the air etc if they disagreed with any decision. If they do then I would be entirely happy to bin them knowing I had warned them in advance.
As for extra time keeping of how long in the sin bin - I am sure team mates will be regularly asking referee how long has he got left to serve,and keeping an eye on from the touchline to remind the referee if they think the 10 mins are up.

The Referee Store
Geez, binned for putting your arms in the air... whatever next!! some of my games with my Neanderthals would end up as 5 a side!!!

You might think so. But the fact that dissent is considered a problem that needs dealing with via such drastic measures as sin bins suggests that you might be the exception rather than the rule there....

The reason they are introducing sin bins is to placate players & managers, not to make referees lives easier. The only reason referees find dissent a hard card to give is because they have been conditioned to believe that a dissent caution is "cheap", "their fault, and "will cost club marks".......once you get over that utter bullshit dissent becomes very easy to deal with.

If I was refereeing on a league testing this out then I would be very pro-active before game started. I would be speaking to players when doing equipment check telling them I did not want to sin bin them so asking them not to put me in that position by not saying anything or doing anything like kicking the ball away or throwing arms in the air etc if they disagreed with any decision. If they do then I would be entirely happy to bin them knowing I had warned them in advance.
As for extra time keeping of how long in the sin bin - I am sure team mates will be regularly asking referee how long has he got left to serve,and keeping an eye on from the touchline to remind the referee if they think the 10 mins are up.

So the team mates will be hassling the referee at every opportunity.....great! That'll make the game more enjoyable.....and won't lead to any other "dissent" when they don't agree with your timekeeping.

The whole idea is ridiculous, thank god my supply league didn't go for it. Hopefully it'll be gone within a season.

You might think so. But the fact that dissent is considered a problem that needs dealing with via such drastic measures as sin bins suggests that you might be the exception rather than the rule there....
I agree with Sheffields's Finest, easy card for dissent. Tell them, warn them, card them.....and that's just one warning and rollicking per team........easy peasy

Can anyone tell me how to get one of these Club Marks thingies.... I reffed to the LOTG to the best of my ability, I made mistakes, they made far more, I never ever considered that i must please the teams or a bloke in the crowd in ANY decision. I was never there to be popular (how true was that), I got most right, i messed a few things up, who doesn't.

To consider that your club marks would be affected by not doing something that you really should is a betrayal of next weeks ref. PadFoot is correct, its a cop out and trying to pacify managers and clubs who pay the wages of the CFAs. Do your job properly and you may not get to the top, you may not be liked by the teams but you are a damn fine unbiased referee....Be firm, be fair!

Can anyone tell me how to get one of these Club Marks thingies.... I reffed to the LOTG to the best of my ability, I made mistakes, they made far more, I never ever considered that i must please the teams or a bloke in the crowd in ANY decision. I was never there to be popular (how true was that), I got most right, i messed a few things up, who doesn't.

To consider that your club marks would be affected by not doing something that you really should is a betrayal of next weeks ref. PadFoot is correct, its a cop out and trying to pacify managers and clubs who pay the wages of the CFAs. Do your job properly and you may not get to the top, you may not be liked by the teams but you are a damn fine unbiased referee....Be firm, be fair!
Hear hear. Club marks are by their very nature, unreliable at best and damned well biased a lot of the time...

Hear hear. Club marks are by their very nature, unreliable at best and damned well biased a lot of the time...

I remember one game last season, when handing me the team sheet before kick off, I noticed the away team manager had already filled in the club marks. (65 iirc - I had a cr@p game so I was happy with that!)

Suspect it happens pretty often, after all, we all there just to play (ref) a game of football, who wants all the faff of paperwork ...

An infamous sunday league manager once reported me to his league for sending two of his players off. (I'd had to write a referee report for each game with a bit of detail on serious bad behaviour. So I wrote it in all its gory detail with the swear words included). This manager then spoke up at a managers meeting about me being a complete **** and how i should be banished from the league!!!!.

So the referee secretary read out the report in all its gory details with the swear words included! According to the now sadly departed ref sec the other managers were on the floor laughing at this manager who made a complete tit of himself!!!

The reason they are introducing sin bins is to placate players & managers, not to make referees lives easier. The only reason referees find dissent a hard card to give is because they have been conditioned to believe that a dissent caution is "cheap", "their fault, and "will cost club marks".......once you get over that utter bullshit dissent becomes very easy to deal with.
It's not just you, so please don't take it personally, but the reading comprehension on this forum has been awful today! Where do I say that I think it's been done to help referees? You're quoting me and then arguing with a point that I didn't make!

My argument, as I've stated many times in this thread, is that the problem with dissent is that the bar for a dissent caution is currently too high and that therefore, dissent is allowed to go unchecked too often. And yes, I know that you claim to be an uberbastard who whips a caution out at the slightest provocation, but that doesn't change the fact that the majority of referees are encouraged to at least attempt to manage dissent and that the game loses hundreds of referees every season because of dissent.

It's a real problem in the game that does need action, I just think sin bins are a move in the wrong direction. And when we're deciding what that action should be, I'm much more interested in national data rather than Padfoot anecdotes.

My argument, as I've stated many times in this thread, is that the problem with dissent is that the bar for a dissent caution is currently too high and that therefore, dissent is allowed to go unchecked too often..

Agreed.

There's already the thread of a red card of somebody's comments could be considered abusive - or if dissenting when on a yellow card. And that's not a deterrent.

Maybe we're wrong and this one will work - but the issue isn't that the LOTG are inadequate, it's that referees themselves contribute to the culture by excusing stupidly high levels of dissent/abuse.

How is it more of a deterrent if a player who gets 2 sin bins, instead of being sent off, can be replaced by a substitute..........that means a player can give a referee grief, twice, and the team suffers no penalty for it?

Absolute joke. What's worse is the feeble minded simpletons who think it's a good idea.

Talk about turkeys voting for Xmas.

If you get two "yellows" for descent you CANNOT be substituted.

If you get two "yellows" for descent you CANNOT be substituted.
Not entirely accurate. You can be substituted depending on when the player receives the caution and if he has another non dissent caution to his name.

9yOgUDR.jpg

Last edited:
Not entirely accurate. You can be substituted depending on when the player receives the caution and if he has another non dissent caution to his name.

9yOgUDR.jpg
Ahhhhhh simple as peas.......cant understand what all the fuss is about! (SARCASM)

Reactions: DB
Ahhhhhh simple as peas.......cant understand what all the fuss is about! (SARCASM)
Have you attended one of the Temporary Dismissal meetings that we are currently hosting in Cornwall? All referees were emailed by the Appointments Officer

Have you attended one of the Temporary Dismissal meetings that we are currently hosting in Cornwall? All referees were emailed by the Appointments Officer

I have yes, doesn't make the situation any less of a joke!!

:wall: How can we expect the club's to support it when some of us aren't willing to? In a year's time, I'll eat my hat if people still have the same opinion

:wall: How can we expect the club's to support it when some of us aren't willing to? In a year's time, I'll eat my hat if people still have the same opinion

Get off your high horse and accept that not everyone agrees with everything you say!

In my opinion (your favourite phrase) if something isn't broke there is no need to try and fix it!

I can only speak for myself.....but I get little to no descent in any game so why bring this ******** in?

Turning and adult game into kids football!

Why should we be expected to support it?

Back