A&H

Sin Bins/Temporary Dismissals

The Referee Store
i like the thinking that the punishment for the team is instant rather than a later game ban following an accumulation of cautions...i also don;t mind the discussion about for what sin bins will be given for.

i have serious reservations about how this would / could be managed at grassroots football with a single referee. the guide mentions using club officials to oversee the sin bin timings, surely a recipe for disaster.

that said, we (football) are way behind both rugby codes, field and ice hockey when it comes to this sort of punishment and it all seems to work well at the lower levels with all of those sports

I have just read that as well and and it is very long winded. It needs to be five or 6 clear bullet points. At grass roots levels we are going to have to rely on team officials to manage sin bins as I cant see any other solution

i like the thinking that the punishment for the team is instant rather than a later game ban following an accumulation of cautions...i also don;t mind the discussion about for what sin bins will be given for.

i have serious reservations about how this would / could be managed at grassroots football with a single referee. the guide mentions using club officials to oversee the sin bin timings, surely a recipe for disaster.

that said, we (football) are way behind both rugby codes, field and ice hockey when it comes to this sort of punishment and it all seems to work well at the lower levels with all of those sports

Agree, team officials managing it would be a nightmare and there is no mention of a lone referee. Maybe the FA would only bring it into supply league and above where you are in a team of 3.

Why have they made it so complicated? "A player who commits a second caution will receive a second temporary dismissal and take no further part in the match" What so he has to stand in the technical area for 10 minutes before going to changing rooms?

Its all a bit bizarre, this. It may work in Ice hockey and Rugby but its not Football.

As a former English referee now refereeing in France, I can see how difficult this would be in England, with the lack of help for a lone referee.
Here in France, it is somewhat different. Each match (at all levels) must have a match delegate, sometimes supplied by the League/County, more often a Club Official, especially at grass roots level. The match cannot go ahead without a delegate. All club officials who can act as a match delegate must have a licence with photograph, similar to a players licence.

This system works very well here, and is something I would advocate in England. The match delegate has a designated area near the centre line of the pitch between both teams (similar to a 4th official). Among the delegates duties are to have a supply of match balls, help the referee with substitutions (e.g., making sure the player is ready before calling the referee for the substitution), and to supervise any player in the sin bin (the delegate's area) including the time of the sin binned player.

I have refereed 10 years now in France, and have never had a problem with this arrangement, in fact it benefits the referee.

Could this happen in England, I am not sure? I do not remember seeing players licences in England before I left, so maybe England has not got this far yet. It certainly helps here that all players and team officials are photo licensed. These are handed to the referee with the team sheet and the referee keeps these licences until he/she leaves at the end of the game.

For me the sin bin is an excellent idea, it has been trialled here in cup matches, in place of a 2nd yellow, and a white card is used to signify a sin bin. 10 minutes is a good cooling off period. Never had a player return from the sin bin and get another yellow or red card. All my French colleagues also approve of the sin bin rial.

I'm nervous but trying to remain open minded about it. The French system seems manageable and I can see a lot of other benefits to a "delegate" at each match...but seems so unlikely we could get the resources.

In the article it suggests sin bin for dissent. Should we build sound proof booths in case they keep moaning from the bin

I am split.

I like the idea of it. Immediate punishments - it may also help grassroots with teams the "struggle to pay" fines. (I know the argument of dont do the crime) Amateur football is in decline and one of the biggest reasons is finance so if the immediate sanction is more of a deterrent than a 10 pound fine then why not explore it.

I do however agree with and have similar reservations about management of such sanctions.

I am split.

I like the idea of it. Immediate punishments - it may also help grassroots with teams the "struggle to pay" fines. (I know the argument of dont do the crime) Amateur football is in decline and one of the biggest reasons is finance so if the immediate sanction is more of a deterrent than a 10 pound fine then why not explore it.

I do however agree with and have similar reservations about management of such sanctions.

And that is exactly why it won't go through. Presumably if you sin-bin you won't then also report this a caution as they have already served a punishment, and put simply that would bankrupt the CFAs.

IFAB spent what felt like years bloating the laws of the game and finally simplified them last summer, giving us a slimmer tome to read and understand. Now, in one fell swoop, they have almost doubled the number of pages with a badly thought out system called "temporary dismissals". It's a measure of their own confidence in the concept when they have two systems - A & B. Probably because they have no idea or clear vision on how it will work in the real world.
I'm not against "temporary dismissals" per se but this looks hideous, rushed through and ill conceived.

The talk of depriving CFAs of income is interesting.

Judging by a graphic sent around by Kent FA 22% of their income comes from discipline.

Put simply......its ********.

Totally unmanageable at grassroots level....will simply lead to more conflict, more grief and less referees.

Couldn't agree more - complete dogs dinner - especially the fact that national associations/competitions can decide which yellow card offences will lead to temporary dismissals - that's not going to cause any confusion is it?!

The proposal about what happens when a player receives two temporary dismissals is just bizarre and very difficult to manage on your own, especially so with roll on roll off subs.

Finally, getting a "team official" to help with misconduct management????????:eek::confused: - Bonkers!

I am split.

But that would not be the case because if i have read it right then the temporary dismissal would be coupled with a caution, not replacing it. So the fine would still be in place.

Also it says that National FA's/Counties could decide on further disciplinary action, so they may end up saying for instance, £10 for caution £5 for temporary dismissal. Its a minefield and one that i for one am dead against.

But that would not be the case because if i have read it right then the temporary dismissal would be coupled with a caution, not replacing it. So the fine would still be in place.

Also it says that National FA's/Counties could decide on further disciplinary action, so they may end up saying for instance, £10 for caution £5 for temporary dismissal. Its a minefield and one that i for one am dead against.
Im just thinking about the section that says they may or may not be reportable. It also seems that decision is up to national Fa as opposed to counties. If its not reportable then there can be no financial sanction... but in that same sentiment I cannot see FA/CFA/leagues wanting to lose sight of disciplinary issues.

Sin bins are done in the six a side league I participate in on a weekday and as far as Im aware this is managed by the referee on the night so if you are going to employ it there is an existing model to follow.

I think its worth a trial - other sports and indeed our own sport, albeit modified laws, are able to do it. Again though I stress that I am split and agree wholly with the arguments raised for those against but we are only against in theory - we need to see it in practice before making up our minds completely.

Last edited:
The talk of depriving CFAs of income is interesting.

Judging by a graphic sent around by Kent FA 22% of their income comes from discipline.
Perhaps there could still be fines associated with a sin binning, just no need for it to add up towards a later suspension?

Too many of us on this forum are thinking it is bad for referees, but it is what the players want!

Saturday grassroots football is struggling, the FA will have to do whatever encourages more players / teams, etc to be involved. Sin-bins exist in other sports at grassroots levels, so It's coming people whether you like it or not. More possibly 18/19 season than 17/18 - which will allow some of the perceived problems to be resolved, and I suspect that minor league football could be the first to test this.

The FA will back this - "they are a forward thinking body" (nobody laugh :D) so the CFA's will have to comply.

But to be sin binned you would have to have been cautioned, so therefore nothing changes money wise.
Depends which system you use. Under system B, it makes a clear distinction between "Cautionable offences that are punished with a caution" and "Cautionable offences that are punished with a temporary suspension". If that's the chosen system (and I've understood it correctly) then yes you would commit a cautionable offence, but you wouldn't actually be cautioned.

Back