A&H

Sin Bins/Temporary Dismissals

Too many of us on this forum are thinking it is bad for referees, but it is what the players want!

Saturday grassroots football is struggling, the FA will have to do whatever encourages more players / teams, etc to be involved. Sin-bins exist in other sports at grassroots levels, so It's coming people whether you like it or not. More possibly 18/19 season than 17/18 - which will allow some of the perceived problems to be resolved, and I suspect that minor league football could be the first to test this.

The FA will back this - "they are a forward thinking body" (nobody laugh :D) so the CFA's will have to comply.

I'm not sure how the "perceived" problem, of asking a lone referee to monitor multiple timed suspensions along with all his/her other duties is going to be solved to be honest.

The Referee Store
I should add that under the French trial scheme, the sin bin offence is for any second caution-able offence The player is sin-binned and after 10 minutes can return to the field of play. Any subsequent caution-able offence by the same player is treated like a normal second caution, so red card. There is no actual caution for the sin bin offence, just a note made on the match sheet.

I should add that under the French trial scheme, the sin bin offence is for any second caution-able offence The player is sin-binned and after 10 minutes can return to the field of play. Any subsequent caution-able offence by the same player is treated like a normal second caution, so red card. There is no actual caution for the sin bin offence, just a note made on the match sheet.
That's feels to me as though it has some merit, more so than what is currently proposed. It's also a working example.

It works very well, and I have to say that I have never made it to the so called '3rd caution-able offence', I think most players will have got the message in the sin bin!

When do most second caution dismissals take place during a game? Any after 80 minutes will effectively be a dismissal but without the red card sigma and associated misconduct. Still an interesting concept for our CFAs to grasp without the disciplinary fines on the back of it.

It works very well, and I have to say that I have never made it to the so called '3rd caution-able offence', I think most players will have got the message in the sin bin!
But as a result do u see more sin bins than you would second yellows? Seems to me end of game and a ban is more of a deterrent to not comitt a second caution offence than having to sit out ten mins and no future ban.

But as a result do u see more sin bins than you would second yellows? Seems to me end of game and a ban is more of a deterrent to not comitt a second caution offence than having to sit out ten mins and no future ban.

I have not seen any increase. In fact, none this season, and last year only one sin bin!

Personally, I think the system should be Like Gaelic Football's black card.

Any player receiving a black card is subbed immediately, providing the team has subs left. The referee shows his wallet in the air, and the player takes no further part in the game.

If there are no subs left, the player is basically sent off. It could is a useful tool to take heat out of the game, where a player has committed an offence that would lead to a flashpoint, but doesn't warrant a red card in it's own right.

With more and more grassroots league adopting roll on/roll off subs, I think this is the best system that could be implemented.

Too many of us on this forum are thinking it is bad for referees, but it is what the players want!

Saturday grassroots football is struggling, the FA will have to do whatever encourages more players / teams, etc to be involved. Sin-bins exist in other sports at grassroots levels, so It's coming people whether you like it or not. More possibly 18/19 season than 17/18 - which will allow some of the perceived problems to be resolved, and I suspect that minor league football could be the first to test this.

The FA will back this - "they are a forward thinking body" (nobody laugh :D) so the CFA's will have to comply.

Who gives a **** what players want?

Players don't want to be dismissed for calling referees a c*nt....maybe we should amend that law as well then?

It will be utterly unworkable on a Sunday morning and simply lead to more conflict, more grief, and end up costing the game referees as they get fed up trying to manage unmanagable ideas foist on them by the utter ****wits at IFAB.

I don't think Padfoot and I will be getting an invite to the end of season league shindigs!!

I've heard...... 'it that **** again' a few times, on the team huddles, I'm laughing on the inside!!! They aren't wrong if they misbehave!!!

Why do players want it, I don't get that. Currently if they get a caution they get a £10 fine, and as long as they don't do it too often that will be all. Going forward they will still be a £10 fine, but they will also spend 10 minutes in the sin bin. How does that help them in any way, shape or form?

Unless the proposal is that someone being sin binned won't be fined, but if that is the case CFA's will lose around 20% of all their funding so I really cannot see that landing well.

Personally i dont like the idea of trying to manage this at grassroots when im on my own.

However in another thread someone suggested taking some extra bits of paper, writing on it the time the player should re-join the match and giving it to the coach who then calls you over when that time is reached.

Certainly not perfect, but could be a workable solution

Whilst I understand the inevitable complications it throws up in terms of management, football already employs it in small sided variations. I have played 5 a side and 6 a side and, whilst having never been sin binned myself, have seen it work.
Quite simply a sin binned player has to wait for the referees signal to come back on, like it or lump it.

@Padfoot I'm not after an argument ;) more your opinion please...
What is it that you see is different between a Sunday morning (11 a side) than a Tuesday night (6 a side) that makes it "unmanageable"? On the caveat that it seems a workable proposition in the small sided variation

giving it to the coach who then calls you over when that time is reached
And how does he know when the time has been reached? The clock is on your wrist not his. You're the sole arbiter of time.

Don't you think you'll get "Ref! How long?" for at least 5 minutes before he's due back.

Whilst I understand the inevitable complications it throws up in terms of management, football already employs it in small sided variations. I have played 5 a side and 6 a side and, whilst having never been sin binned myself, have seen it work.
Quite simply a sin binned player has to wait for the referees signal to come back on, like it or lump it.

@Padfoot I'm not after an argument ;) more your opinion please...
What is it that you see is different between a Sunday morning (11 a side) than a Tuesday night (6 a side) that makes it "unmanageable"? On the caveat that it seems a workable proposition in the small sided variation
An extra 10 players?

Can you elaborate?
Are you saying increased chance of multiple sin bins makes it unmanageable?
I'm not @Padfoot so I can't speak for him, but in my eyes an obvious factor is the extra 10 players on a FOP which doesn't have the barriers found on a much smaller 5-a-side pitch. So to summarise my elaboration:-
  1. More players at 11-a-side
  2. Larger field of play
  3. No defined "barrier" for sin bin
IMHO all the above factors make it more unmanageable at 11-a-side than 5-a-side.

Last edited:
And how does he know when the time has been reached? The clock is on your wrist not his. You're the sole arbiter of time.

Don't you think you'll get "Ref! How long?" for at least 5 minutes before he's due back.

Well if i sin binned a player at 11am i would write 11:10 on the piece of paper, manager checks his watch and calls me over at 11:10.

Back