A&H

Spare cards

TopCat

Level 7 Referee
Random question...do you guy keep a spare set of cards on your person when reffing? I have got into habit of keeping a spare pen on me due to my whole set of cards, match pad etc falling out in one game and pencil disappearing never to be seen again in process. Noticed someone else say they keep a spare set of cards on them elsewhere. I have spare set in bag I take to games which is usually at side of pitch but haven't ever had them on me physically while reffing...

The Referee Store
I do not personally carry extra cards. I carry three pens though! Some people have an extra yellow and red in one pocket for doing second yellow, so they aren't having to get a yellow and red out from different pockets in the heat of the moment - whilst this seems clever I personally don't do it (yet).

It's also my understanding that you don't technically need the cards to issue a caution or dismissal if you somehow lost it during a match.

I tend to carry two yellows and two reds; this is literally to make my life easier when issuing second yellows. However I rarely use the additional cards I carry.

Interesting, I didn't realise that was a 'thing' suppose it is easier having different cards although you end up with 3 in your hand plus book and whistle...never had to give two yellows yet (13 or 14 games in)

yellow in right front pocket shorts, red in back pocket shorts.....depending on what kit I am wearing, either spare red & yellow in right breast pocket for the 2nd yellows, along with red & yellow in my FIFA notebook.....or just the red/yellow in the notebook.

yellow in right front pocket shorts, red in back pocket shorts.....depending on what kit I am wearing, either spare red & yellow in right breast pocket for the 2nd yellows, along with red & yellow in my FIFA notebook.....or just the red/yellow in the notebook.
Can you put in a little claim in for a repetitive strain Injury Padders....Where there is blame..... :redcard:

I have a set of big cards with skins on them for when I can get away with just taking numbers and a set of smaller cards that live in my wallet fro when I need to take names. Haven't yet felt the need to take both onto the field.

It's very much a matter of personal preference - I noticed Craig Pawson take his cards out from two different pockets when second-yellowing Fabregas last week, so it's certainly not mandatory to keep a second set on you.

I have a red and yellow in my wallet which live in my top left pocket.

I don't tend to take spare cards out with me.

Thanks to advice on here I have gone with:
main yellow in front right shorts
main red in back right shorts
red for 2nd yellow in front left shorts
Spare yellow in case of loss, damage, alien invasion in right shirt pocket

I think the main yellow in front right shorts is absolutely essential to be able to deliver a fast card, get it out on the run, or get it out to diffuse... moving it there has been one of the most significant changes for me, so much better than reaching for the top pocket. Obvs I then go to top pocket for note book... but I have putting that more and more in the shorts too...

2 pens and a pencil, spare whistle, lip balm, coin in left shirt, wish there was a zip pocket in the shirt for those;)

Yellow card in left shorts pocket, red in back shorts pocket, notebook with both red and yellow cards in right shorts pocket.

Going out without a spare of each colour is risky, things can fall out of pockets and I've seen referees go to pull out cards only to find it isn't there.

I don't use card skins. So notebook (with cards) in front right pocket. Yellow in front left (I'm right handed) and red in back right. So when giving cards I normally use the loose cards, but have backups in my notebook if anything happens.

Also, backup whistles in left pocket; backup pen in my right sock. Only one watch, though, which I maybe should double up (with assistants, though, they should have the time too, in case I mess up or the watch stops working).

Always have 2 watches on, I admit couple of times I have forgotten to restart the timer on watch, saved by other watch which I try and check real time throughout game occasionally. More I read more I like idea of a spare yellow in pocket can see how can be fiddly to get it out when 'sheathed'. Keep my cards in back pocket at moment, started in side pocket but kept getting momentarily stuck, irratating, moved to top pocket then the thread on pocket went slightly (poor quality probably!)

2 watches is a must. I wish the kit has a zipper pocket on the chest. The amount of 2ps I lost was one a game until someone told me about keeping them under my watch. I now lose them else where when I itake my watch off and forgotten it is there! Oh well.

2 watches. 1 whistle in hand, other in short pocket. Yellow top left shirt pocket, red top right. Book in back short pocket with spare cards enclosed.
Extreme, but great clip online of Callum Murray having his yellow taken from his hand by Diouf of Rangers, so Callum calmly reaches into another pocket and produces another.

try pulling your cards out your book on a freezing pouring day and you will see why it is sensible to carry spare lol, same with pencils, watches, pencils, always have more than you need

I don't use card skins. So notebook (with cards) in front right pocket. Yellow in front left (I'm right handed) and red in back right. So when giving cards I normally use the loose cards, but have backups in my notebook if anything happens.

Also, backup whistles in left pocket; backup pen in my right sock. Only one watch, though, which I maybe should double up (with assistants, though, they should have the time too, in case I mess up or the watch stops working).
one watch is very risky

Full notebook in right shorts pocket, yellow in left shorts pocket, red in back pocket, yellow & red (for second yellow/spare) in left shirt pocket and match card in right shirt pocket.

I also carry 2 pens, a spare whistle and 2 watches. T have in the past lost marks on an assessment for only having one watch as a referee!

Yes, I keep a spare set of cards. They can fall out - or if you get distracted you might return a card to the wrong pocket.

2 watches. 1 whistle in hand, other in short pocket. Yellow top left shirt pocket, red top right. Book in back short pocket with spare cards enclosed.
Extreme, but great clip online of Callum Murray having his yellow taken from his hand by Diouf of Rangers, so Callum calmly reaches into another pocket and produces another.
He should be reaching into another pocket to pull out the other card when that's happening....

Normal day to day watch & whistle right wrist, ref watch left wrist, spare book/cards/coin/spare pen badge pocket, main book/yellow card & pen manufacturer's logo pocket, red card shorts back right pocket (nice and close to my arse cheek) :poop:

Back in the day when I first started ref'n, only used an old stop watch to time games. During one game to my horror, looked at the stopwatch to find it had gone off. Had absolutely no idea how much time had elapsed, how long it had been off and how long was left. Took a wild "guess" and think I managed to blag it as no one queried it! :D

Last edited:
Yes, I keep a spare set of cards. They can fall out - or if you get distracted you might return a card to the wrong pocket.

He should be reaching into another pocket to pull out the other card when that's happening....

Erm yes thats what he did? Which he would not have been able to do had he not had spare cards...

Back