A&H

STOPPING A Promising Attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew Jones

Stopping a Promising Attack
Please can other refs out there explain this law to me? I cannot think of an occasion where this law would apply so any real life examples for this would be appreciated!!!!!

A player is cautioned for unsporting behaviour if he/she
"commits a foul which interferes with or stops a promising attack except where the referee awards a penalty kick for an offence which was an attempt to play the ball"

But... in the law changes the law states...

"A player stopping a promising attack in the penalty area will not be cautioned (YC) if the offence was an attempt to play the ball"

So what exactly does this rule mean? I'm confused and to me they contradict each other.

Thanks.

Reactions: J79
The Referee Store
Basically, if you believe that the defender was making a genuine attempt to play the ball, you do not caution. However, if it was a reckless challenge where you're of the opinion that the defending player wasn't attempting to play the ball, you caution. I think it's down to the fact that you are awarding a penalty and that the team is likely to conced, kinda double punishment maybe? This exact part of the law brought up quite a bit of conversation after a game I lined on Tuesday after the match referee failed to caution a foul in the box... he said "you don't caution preventing a promising attack in the box".... but he forgot the "attempt to play the ball" part...

(something like this?)

WHERE DID THE OFFENCE THAT STOPPED A PROMISING ATTACK HAPPEN?

- OUTSIDE PENALTY AREA =====> YC

- INSIDE PENALTY AREA (Penalty Awarded) -> WAS THERE AN ATTEMPT TO PLAY THE BALL?
  • YES =====> NO YC
  • NO =====> YC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back