A&H

strange incident. but whats the correct action to be taken

The Referee Store
Surely restart must be a DFK for blues on edge of pen area as keeper handles ball outside of area when he carries the ball out whilst chasing blue 9.

YC for blue 9, USB, and YC for yellow defender who attempts to trip Y9 as he runs off?

Surely restart must be a DFK for blues on edge of pen area as keeper handles ball outside of area when he carries the ball out whilst chasing blue 9.

YC for blue 9, USB, and YC for yellow defender who attempts to trip Y9 as he runs off?
the first offence is blue 9 act of picking up whatever it is he picked therefore restart is indirect free kick for that at least.

The question is when did the referee stop play?
As the most serious offence is punished, which would be handball if he had not stopped play by the time the goalkeeper had left the penalty area.

actually it depend son what you think is the first offense. You could choose to ignore blues 9 actions in which case it would be a penalty for blue as the keeper first tried to trip when 9 was running away. but in this case not really important when the ref stopped it but what he stopped it for.

Given that the referee showed the blue player a yellow (I assume for generic USB as I can't think of anything else that might apply?), then he must have considered the act of picking up the "things" as USB. In that case, IFK at the edge of the 6 yard box is the correct restart, but I'd definitely be getting a card out for one or two of the guys who tried to kick/trip him as well.

Also, any thoughts on if the keeper should have been allowed to keep the things there? Had the attacker simply alerted the referee to the items and asked for them to be removed for his safety, surely the referee would have been obliged to make the keeper remove them?

It's African football. There's plenty of black magic and witch doctor influence in all aspects of African society and football is no different. I'd hazard a guess that the blue 9 believed he had missed the earlier header because of juju and that's why he went to pick it up and ran off with it. A caution is a small price to pay for 'weakening' the GK by removing his lucky charm or potion and of course, that's why blue 9 then scored with a header in the now 'unprotected' goal.
The referee would never dream of getting involved for fear of being cursed himself.
Simply really. We deal with hangovers and Sunday morning smoke, African officials deal with Juju and the spirits.

The referee would never dream of getting involved for fear of being cursed himself.

that plus the fact that as a referee i wouldn't even dream about interfering with a players acts of superstition unless it was dangerous.

that plus the fact that as a referee i wouldn't even dream about interfering with a players acts of superstition unless it was dangerous.
But this goalkeeper has put something on the goal line. Of course in this case you'd struggle to argue that something that could be held inside a fist is either dangerous or likely to block the goal, but what if it was something that couldn't be enclosed by a fist? Or something that had to be carried in two hands? Where's the line? A blanket ban on "putting things on the goal line" seems fairest?

Back