A&H

Tackle from behind

Robert King

Hi all,

First of all, I'm not from England, or anywhere from the UK. But that doesn't change the law of this game right? Reason for me coming here and not to a local one is because I need a reply as quick as possible, but no-one is giving me one there :p.

So here is what happened:
Orange vs White.
This was in the box of the Whites, you know what that means.
Orange guy gets kicked from behind on the legs by a guy from the Whites, Obvious penalty. However, I do wonder whether the white guy didn't go for the ball and actually got it as well. This is a very likely scenario. I have no memory of the seconds before the foul, so not sure what happened or where the ball was. It was the end of the game and I had to travel far, so I was a bit tired :)
Anyhow, to my question: IF the white guy had gotten the ball, and in the process kicked the orange player too, would that have the same outcome? Penalty?

Hope you can answer me!
Thanks!

The Referee Store
I do believe that it's possible to make a safe and legal tackle from behind - by going round the side of the player, getting the ball first (usually with more of a "block" than a standard "tackle") and then making little or no contact with the player after. It's not easy, but if the tackling player judges it correctly and is going at just the right speed relative to their opponent, it can be done.

I'd also say that there are lots of ways you can get a tackle from behind wrong. Contact with the player first - foul. Excessive contact even with a slight touch on the ball - probably a foul. Contact with the player with a lot of force or without care for the opponents safety - foul and probably a card as well. If the tackle has come from behind, it's going to be a foul more often than not, purely based on geometry.

So unfortunately, the answer to your question is "you had to be there". From your description, it sounds like it's technically possible that a tackle was made which I would consider legal and not requiring a penalty to be awarded. But without seeing the incident, it's almost impossible to tell. It sounds like you clearly saw player-player contact, so what's making you second-guess yourself?

Hi,
Thanks for your answer, first of all!

What I remember what I saw was a White standing behind a Orange, stretching his leg and the Orange guy falling on his buttocks. I did not see the moment or point of impact. If you'd ask me where he hit the guy, I wouldn't know. All I know is that it was on one of his legs, and from behind.
This made me give a penalty, though I got my second doubts after heavy protesting by the goalkeeper, claiming the player also played the ball. This made me come to the conclusion that the defender must have both played the ball, as kicked the player from behind, because there was no way the player got in front of the attacker and then played the ball first. I was more wondering whether playing the ball and the leg of the poor victim at the same time should be counted as a foul or not.

The way it's written you were right to give the penalty. A tackler playing the ball does not excuse a foul on the attacker......"I got the ball ref" is useless if you're also playing the player!

Of course the keeper is going to say 'he got the ball'. Don't worry about that.
If the kick has gone through the legs of the player to get the ball, it would sound like not a genuine attempt on the ball (I believe that 'genuine attempt on the ball' actually means 'genuine attempt to get the ball without fouling the opponent'....more or less. As in, I don't think it's meant to scenarios where getting a touch on the ball after you've cleaned up the player with no chance of a clean tackle means it should only be a caution. sounds 'you had to be there' though

Definitely agree with what you say. It's just too bad that I wasn't 100% focussed anymore in the end. I even let the whistle slip out of my mouth while blowing it.
The thing is that I only remember someone falling on his back and someone behind this guy putting out a leg. That's all I know, and now I'm not even too sure anymore I saw that! Haha. kind of like hearing someone nag to you but not saving any of it, just this time replace hearing with seeing.
Hence I can only fill in the gaps with secondary information. Me knowing that the defender definitely tackled the player from behind could only mean that even if he got the ball, he still took the player with it. That's when we got to my second problem: Is that a foul... ;-)
Well, now it's been answered. Thanks again!

I/he got the ball ref the common cry of the guilty.Almost as common as Handball ref when the ball is blasted at someone from a yard at speed!

I was more wondering whether playing the ball and the leg of the poor victim at the same time should be counted as a foul or not.
I don't think anyone can tell you definitively whether something that they didn't see, was a foul or not. However if the question is whether playing the ball and the player at the same time can be a foul then the answer is yes, it most definitely can be. As others have said, even playing the ball first and contacting the player afterwards can be a foul (and often is). With a tackle from behind though, even if it is possible to make a legal challenge, the chances that a foul has occurred are much higher than with almost any other kind of challenge.

Can only echo Mr Groves wise words. Tackling from behind in its very nature is more in hope of getting the ball first. Taking the ball cleanly without contacting the player is almost impossible. These type of 'man and ball' tackles were common place years ago along with the injuries they bought with them.

Hi,
Thanks for your answer, first of all!

What I remember what I saw was a White standing behind a Orange, stretching his leg and the Orange guy falling on his buttocks. I did not see the moment or point of impact. If you'd ask me where he hit the guy, I wouldn't know. All I know is that it was on one of his legs, and from behind.
This made me give a penalty, though I got my second doubts after heavy protesting by the goalkeeper, claiming the player also played the ball. This made me come to the conclusion that the defender must have both played the ball, as kicked the player from behind, because there was no way the player got in front of the attacker and then played the ball first. I was more wondering whether playing the ball and the leg of the poor victim at the same time should be counted as a foul or not.

Judging by your original post, it sounds like the right decision. There's a lot of variables when tackling from behind but 9 times out of 10, the defender usually get its wrong. However, I would say that there was a slight risk in giving it when you didn't see the contact being made. One of those YHTBT moments I guess

Back