A&H

Taunting, recorded audio, recording penalties & keeping things simple

Ref X

RefChat Addict
Grassroots Referee
I attended a clinic for State Final referees last night. Very cool to be invited to!

We talked about a whole lot more but these are just a few things that stood out to me. Thought it might be helpful to share.

- Taunting was seen a bit more the further the tournament went on so if/when we see it, we need to cut it out immediately.
- Know where video equipment is because it usually records audio as well. Be careful what you say and where you say it.
- If the game goes to penalties, the players on the field must remain within boundary lines. But use common sense when hot and players need water.
- When recording penalties, use a system like O/X, _/X. Don’t use check/X because things can get hard to read after writing something at the end of 120 minutes.
- These games are not the time to try something new or experiment. Keep it simple and don’t try anything special. This doesn’t mean don’t take appropriate risks.

The Referee Store
- Taunting was seen a bit more the further the tournament went on so if/when we see it, we need to cut it out immediately.

"Taunting" seems to be very much a US offence, stemming from the NFHS (US High School) rule that specifically outlaws it.

It's never been "a thing" in the UK - or anywhere else in the world as far as I'm aware.

In fact there's quite the tradition of trying to wind up the opposition. It's what's known as "sledging" in cricket.

If it's neither dissent nor OFFINABUS then it's not an obvious offence according to the LotG.

I suppose there is always the "catch all" offence of USB for showing "a lack of respect for the game" but I'm not sure how often it would extend to showing a lack of respect for the opponent.

"Taunting" seems to be very much a US offence, stemming from the NFHS (US High School) rule that specifically outlaws it.
I thought that US High School Soccer had it down as a straight red card offence from memory, which would back up what you’ve just said.

Regardless, taunting is arguably a huge part of the game at a range of levels, you can manage it but not sanction it as a referee I normally find

It's never been "a thing" in the UK - or anywhere else in the world as far as I'm aware.

In fact there's quite the tradition of trying to wind up the opposition. It's what's known as "sledging" in cricket.

If it's neither dissent nor OFFINABUS then it's not an obvious offence according to the LotG.

I suppose there is always the "catch all" offence of USB for showing "a lack of respect for the game" but I'm not sure how often it would extend to showing a lack of respect for the opponent.
Thanks for clarifying, Peter.

I think this was mentioned more in the context of "manage this quickly and don't allow it to poison the game" and not "taunting in itself is an offense and needs a direct consequence." I think @george.g said it well above.

They just want us to help maintain respect for the game, IMO.

I've issued one caution in my career for what I would consider "taunting", where the goalscorer in a tight game chose to run and celebrate in the face of the opponent who's slip had let him in on goal. Put it down as AAA using our English system, but that was incredibly obvious.

If the taunting gets a response then you probably end up with a standard both-sides AAA yellow here.

The thing to remember about taunting is that in the US (or at least, certainly in NFHS games) it is applicable to a much wider range of behaviours than would ever conceivably be covered by either AAA or unsporting behaviour.

As stated in the NFHS Rules:

The NFHS disapproves of any form of taunting which is intended or designed to embarrass, ridicule or demean others under any circumstances ...

It's also notable that under NFHS Rules, any taunting is (as @george.g mentions) a mandatory red card offence.

Back