A&H

The English referee levels

Morten

Hi,

As I am signing up to referee a tournament in england, I'm trying to figure out how the referee levels in England map to my current level in Norway. I've been on wikipedia, but still I am not quite sure.

- What specific junior levels does referees at different levels do? Who referees the permier league U-16s for example?
- What are the physical and theoretical requirements for the different levels?

I'm pretty sure I am somewhere between 4 and 5, so if someone can help me clear up the main differences between the two, I'd appreciate it.

The Referee Store
Level 4 and above works for the national FA and level 9-5 is "owned" by the local FA

Anyway that is how i've understood it

Hi,

As I am signing up to referee a tournament in england, I'm trying to figure out how the referee levels in England map to my current level in Norway. I've been on wikipedia, but still I am not quite sure.

- What specific junior levels does referees at different levels do? Who referees the permier league U-16s for example?
- What are the physical and theoretical requirements for the different levels?

I'm pretty sure I am somewhere between 4 and 5, so if someone can help me clear up the main differences between the two, I'd appreciate it.
I think using top level junior sides as a reference is a bad idea since, for example, here Level 3's will referee the U21's of professional football, I doubt Norway has that kind of quality officials refereeing their professional U21's.

Level 9's are referees who have passed the course but not yet completed their first 6 games and attended post-6 games workshop. Once the 6 games are done and they attend a workshop, if they're under 16 years of age they move to Level 8 and if they're 16 or over they move to Level 7. Level 7's are capable of refereeing standard low level Saturday/Sunday league football. Level 6 is pretty much no different, and the difference at Level 5 is negligible apart from being able to referee some semi-pro U19 sides.

Level 4 is the first step where referees are handled by the national FA. They referee on the first step of the non-league ladder, essentially regional football. They assist at a level where the country is basically split into thirds.

Level 3's referee at the level where the country is split into thirds, and generally assist on the Conference North/South or Prem. It gets complicated here as there are bandings within the level. If I'm not mistaken the higher band allows them to assist on the Football League.

Level 2's referee on the Conference North/South and Prem banding dependent and would usually assist on either the Premier League or Football League.

Level 1's referee on either the Premier League or Football League.

I'm aware, before anyone says it, that some of the above is generic and I could have gone into all the bandings, but I feel that's the level of information he needed. A basic, rough understanding of the levels.

I think using top level junior sides as a reference is a bad idea since, for example, here Level 3's will referee the U21's of professional football, I doubt Norway has that kind of quality officials refereeing their professional U21's.

Level 9's are referees who have attended the FA Referees course but not yet completed their first 5 games and passed their referee examination. Once the 5 games are done and they must pass an examination, if they're under 16 years of age they move to Level 8 and if they're 16 or over they move to Level 7. Level 7's are capable of refereeing standard low level Saturday/Sunday league football. To become a Level 6 referee, they must pass another examination and achieve the necessary standard of performance when assessed on a minimum of 3 occasions. Level 6 is pretty much no different. To become a Level 5 referee, they must pass another examination and achieve the necessary standard of performance when assessed on a minimum of 3 occasions and act as an assistant referee at the highest level of amateur football on at least 5 occasions. The difference at Level 5 is negligible apart from being able to referee some semi-pro U19 sides and being appointed to ass. There is no fitness test for levels 5-9.

To referee at Level 4, you must achieve the necessary standard of performance when assessed on a minimum of 3 occasions and pass a fitness test. This requires a 12 minute continuous run during which you must complete the minimum of 2600m, before completing 2x50m sprints in 7.5 seconds or less. Level 4 is the first step where referees are handled by the national FA. They referee on the first step of the non-league ladder, essentially regional football. They assist at a level where the country is basically split into thirds.

Level 3's referee at the level where the country is split into thirds, and generally assist on the Conference North/South or Prem. It gets complicated here as there are bandings within the level. If I'm not mistaken the higher band allows them to assist on the Football League.

Level 2's referee on the Conference North/South and Prem banding dependent and would usually assist on either the Premier League or Football League.

Level 1's referee on either the Premier League or Football League.

I'm aware, before anyone says it, that some of the above is generic and I could have gone into all the bandings, but I feel that's the level of information he needed. A basic, rough understanding of the levels.
Edited to correct the information about new referees, Level 6, Level 5 and the Level 4 fitness test.

Thanks. Still not sure what level to put down, but not sure it is that important really. Surprised by the lax requirements on the physical test though. At what level do you require the full FIFA test?

Thanks. Still not sure what level to put down, but not sure it is that important really. Surprised by the lax requirements on the physical test though. At what level do you require the full FIFA test?
Generally that kicks in at 2A although not sure if 2B will also now be the FIFA test.

Hi @Morten,

Looking at your earlier posts, you would seem to be either a L4 or possible L3. L4 is the lowest level at which NAR are appointed, but these are local league refs.

At L3, you will be doing matches of reasonable standard, with crowds, in proper grounds (not on local sports grounds).

Either level should be acceptable for the organisers.

Difficult to say really. If you were to transfer to England, rather than just come to do a tournament, you'd almost certainly be placed at level 5. The FA would then ask your new parent county FA to assess you to see if you should be placed at level 4.

Hi @Morten,

Looking at your earlier posts, you would seem to be either a L4 or possible L3. L4 is the lowest level at which NAR are appointed, but these are local league refs.

At L3, you will be doing matches of reasonable standard, with crowds, in proper grounds (not on local sports grounds).

Either level should be acceptable for the organisers.

Yeah, I'm not too worried about "not being accepted" per se. I just wanted to provide the most accurate information. At my current level i Norway we are required to every season:
- 2 * FIFA fitness tests (one in spring and one in fall, our season runs from March - October): 26 intervalls 30/35s 150/50m + 6 * 40 meter sprints in <6 seconds
- Pass a written theory test (which to be fair is way too easy)

I referee in the league at the 4th level, which has NARs (also true for 5th level). I do not know how the level of the players compare to the level of the players at different leagues in England though. As a Norwegian, you always expect the levels in England to be greater than the ones we are used to :)

Depends where you are. Level 5s, and Level 6s going for promotion, get NARs in the Midland Football League at Step 7, Step 8, Reserve and U21 divisions.
Premier League U16 games aren't played in a league format and can be used as development games for younger Level 7s. Premier League U18 (this includes the academies of many football league clubs not just used Premier League) are officiated by Level 4 referees.

Back