A&H

Open Age The moment a player uses foul and abusive and you know you've got them

When reporting a send off on the advice of an AR, I always write the facts that the AR told me about the incident and conclude with 'my decision' to issue a red card. Simplified E.g: AR advised me green #7 spat on bule #2. I then send off Green #7 from the FOP for spitting at an opponent.

This is not too dissimilar to reporting a send off to the FA and they deciding on the suspension. I don't report how many weeks they should be suspended for. I only report the facts. They decide the suspension based my report, even though they have not seen the incident. Similarly I ask my AR to give me the facts and I decide the sanction.

This has nothing to do with trust and how good my ARs are but a lot to do with consistency.

Last edited:
The Referee Store
So junior AR does the ball and afterall as referee it not how you want it so you end up doing it anyway!
Or two mins in its clear you have to change ball, are you really going to point at the junior AR and go, sorry lads that was him?
your the ref, your ball.

If you don't trust your assistant, don't have them on your game? You cant pick and choose which decisions you will trust them on
You either trust them 100% or 0%

imo of course

Apparently you can ;)

I cant disagree with anything @JamesL has written here. The decision is down to the referee on the advice of the assistant. I always say to my assistants, give me the facts and i will decide the sanction based on the facts you have given me.

This cuts out the following scenario:

AR what have you seen?
Red card blue 5
What for?
Reckless challenge on red 2
That should be a caution then, shouldn't it?
Oh yes.

You caution the player, the red team have however heard the AR tell you its a red card, where do you go from there?

Sorry @Ciley Myrus but your scenarios don't stack up and as for "If you don't trust your assistant, don't have them on your game". How on earth does that work then? Sorry mate but judging from the first 15 minutes i don't think i trust you so you can go home. That will work wonders for your match control and credibility and of course your reputation with your colleagues!

Everyone can run their game as they see fit. I can only speak for the prematch instructions I have given and been given

If you have an AR who tells you red card for reckless then they are probably not suitable for your game, if they cant get that fact right then I very much doubt they will get any opinion calls right either

Reputation works both ways, its nice to be nice, but, its also good to get the calls right and needs must. As I alluded to previous, from personal experience my own credibility was damaged by my failure not to dispense with the services of an AR earlier than I did. When the AR is not up to the task and yourself, and players and coaches recognise this, then your match control is already in doubt so you need to act fast.

as ever ,whatever works for you, works

Until you get to level 3 here in England you will be working with assistants of all levels, i have had level 5's who have ran 200 lines and level 7's running their first. Sorry but i wouldn't dream of dispensing of his or her services, you adapt your game accordingly if need be.

Great, you do as you see fit and other folk will do as they see fit. Its off topic but I have previously told an AR not bother getting changed as he turned up late and in informal attire to a half decent appointment, few years later he ended up on a game with me ( I had long forgotten his name) and he was full of thanks for my previous actions as it made him screw the nut and realise he had to up his game.

Horses for courses I guess.

@Ciley out of curiosity - you dismiss one assistant at HT, what do you do for the rest of the game? Just adapt your patrol path to try and call throws and offsides yourself? Fourth official (assuming there is - what if there isn't?)?

Yes, kept the other AR at dug outs and as I was basically working without the other AR for the 1st half anyway, so did not have to change anything in my game.

@Ciley But no physical presence on the line? Didn't anyone (i.e. players/coaching staff) not query it?

In this situation I believe the directive, in England certainly, would be to firstly see if there are any other qualified officials in attendance, if not select a person mutually agreeable by both clubs, and failing that, as a last resort do it yourself. In all events it would need to be reported. I suspect they would take a very dim view.if you dismissed your assistant and then still didnt follow the directive for incapacitation.

Oh it was reported and he was removed from selection

Did nobody query it, not really as he was as good as not there on the first place

Oh it was reported and he was removed from selection

Did nobody query it, not really as he was as good as not there on the first place

how bad was he!? what was he doing / or not doing?! just not interested / couldn't be arsed or incompetent or worse, cheating?

All ! In fairness too old and was a last minute stand in but the match supervisor was standing behind him and said all he was doing was chatting to spectators, Just generally not interested

I have also removed an assistant who was infamous for having a radio playing on his line, to listen to other scores and the racing! He said eventually if the radio went, then so did he. Bye then!

I red carded an u13 player at the weekend for screaming "ref you're sh*t" after I gave a throw in against him. I've debated with myself ever since whether I should have given a yellow for dissent rather than red for OFFINABUS. Nothing I can do about t now but what are people's thoughts?

I red carded an u13 player at the weekend for screaming "ref you're sh*t" after I gave a throw in against him. I've debated with myself ever since whether I should have given a yellow for dissent rather than red for OFFINABUS. Nothing I can do about t now but what are people's thoughts?

I'm sh1t and you're first in the showers, Bye bye!!!..... Correct decision.....

I think I've had the full set thrown at me....... One of my biggest compliments was from a home player talking to the away team about me.... He likes a good tackle but don't call him a cnut!!! :)

Back