A&H

Threatening Language??

Ollie

Level 6 Referee
Had an incident on Sunday which I am hoping to get some advice on.
Blue player is fouled (nothing challenge), as he gets up he says to the opposing player "I'm going to break your legs".
Now I'm happy to hold my hands up and say I probably got this wrong but I called him over and had a stern word.
In my head I'm thinking this is a red card, is it? If so, under what dismissal code? S6?
How far would you take this, for example if a player said "I'll get you back for that"?

The Referee Store
Red card any day of the week for me, although I have seen referees give yellows for this. I think a stern talking too isn't enough. You can get away with yellow with some refs depending on how it is said, the volume, tone, attitude etc but for me, I would dismiss every time. I had it once at the beginning of the season in an under 16 academy game. Players clash, defender gets up and says to the attacker, just loud enough for me to hear "come near me again, I'll f*****g break your legs"... it wasn't loud, he didn't say it in a particularly aggressive manner... that was irrelevant for me.

I'm a very big hitter when it comes to respect and discipline. As one of the four CFA Respect and Behaviour committee members; which comprises of myself, the Governance manager, Respect Officer and referees Appointments officer), I take a stern approach to threatening and abusive behaviour. Because I harp on about it to everyone all the time, I have to be seen dealing with it. This particular phrase is a nailed on red for me.

Imagine if you didn't do anything and the very next challenge, or a little later on in this game... this guy actually puts in a big tackle and breaks someone's leg... He warned you he was going to do it, you failed to act on it... that's how it would look.

You will get some retaliation, you have to manage that.

Last edited:
Red card any day of the week for me, although I have seen referees give yellows for this. I think a stern talking too isn't enough. You can get away with yellow with some refs depending on how it is said, the volume, tone, attitude etc but for me, I would dismiss every time. I had it once at the beginning of the season in an under 16 academy game. Players clash, defender gets up and says to the attacker, just loud enough for me to hear "come near me again, I'll f*****g break your legs"... it wasn't loud, he didn't say it in a particularly aggressive manner... that was irrelevant for me.

I'm a very big hitter when it comes to respect and discipline. As one of the four CFA Respect and Behaviour committee members; which comprises of myself, the Governance manager, Respect Officer and referees Appointments officer), I take a stern approach to threatening and abusive behaviour. Because I harp on about it to everyone all the time, I have to be seen dealing with it. This particular phrase is a nailed on red for me.

Imagine if you didn't do anything and the very next challenge, or a little later on in this game... this guy actually puts in a big tackle and breaks someone's leg... He warned you he was going to do it, you failed to act on it... that's how it would look.

You will get some retaliation, you have to manage that.

Thanks for the response, how are you reporting it, S6?

Yes, unless there was some form of physical impact, in which you could sway towards Violent Conduct. Should the Governance Officer feel the need to change the disciplinary code based on your report, he would do so. But your particular scenario is S6 :)

Unlike a lot of the other discussions on here regarding verbals recently, there is a justification for a caution here if you so choose: USB (Aggressive Attitude). So it's essentially up to you which of those approaches you want to take.

Au revoir for me too, any threat of physical violence has to be taken at face value. If you do nothing about it and it happens you could be in for a fair amount of criticism.

Too bad if they didn't mean it. They will learn to temper their words.

If you go down the caution or stern word it will only be a matter of time before the player steams in and you have a situation on your hands. Broken leg, mass confrontation, red cards, misconduct reports, hearings, possible police involvement- not worth it. Bin em first time every time.

Reactions: DB
For me I need context, I would need to hear it said but it certainly ticks the boxes for offinabus.

I think it massively depends on tone of voice for me.

Was he just doing it in a flippant 'handbags' 'thinks he is 10 men' way but wouldn't follow it up? In which case warn him if he as much as farts in that players direction I'll be cautioning him as a minimum.

Was it aggressive? Caution him. And inform him that if he farts in that players direction I'll be likely to caution him again.

Was it more than just aggressive? See you later!

Had an incident on Sunday which I am hoping to get some advice on.
Blue player is fouled (nothing challenge), as he gets up he says to the opposing player "I'm going to break your legs".
Now I'm happy to hold my hands up and say I probably got this wrong but I called him over and had a stern word.
In my head I'm thinking this is a red card, is it? If so, under what dismissal code? S6?
How far would you take this, for example if a player said "I'll get you back for that"?

Funny enough this happened to me yesterday. Heard a player say those exact words to another before a corner was taken, I dealt with it with a caution and talking to.

I'm a very big hitter when it comes to respect and discipline.

Yep, noticed that.:)

For me I need context

Yep, noticed that too. ;)

It's a bye bye from me, enjoy shopping with the Mrs next week!

I wouldn't advise using those words - similar to "go and warm the showers up" or some other antogonistic response that only serves to get you chinned or abused. Besides, it takes 2 weeks for the ban to come through.

Personally, I'm with Darius on this and it's tone of voice and my assessment of the player himself that determines the sanction.

Tough one as context needs appreciating but like others i'd be erring on the side of 'bye bye Delilah'.... Should he carry out his threat and you've heard that you'll have to live with that knowledge that you should of acted more decisively...

Had one too where attacker was taken down on edge of the area. Jumps up immediately, confronts defender saying "I'll f**king bury your ya c**t". Straight red. I even had the opponents captain ask me after the game to leave it out of the match report as they felt sorry for him.
The way I see it, if it'd happened outside a football match then he should be in handcuffs.

Had one too where attacker was taken down on edge of the area. Jumps up immediately, confronts defender saying "I'll f**king bury your ya c**t". Straight red. I even had the opponents captain ask me after the game to leave it out of the match report as they felt sorry for him.
The way I see it, if it'd happened outside a football match then he should be in handcuffs.
Hope you reported the opposing Captain as well ;)

The bit about not putting reports in is a regular occurrence. I always respond saying once the card is out it's a done deal. I spoke at length to a manager about booking one of his younger players, he felt it was unfair that he would have to pay a fine. My counter was to say that I understand his frustration but how else would he learn there are consequences to his actions.

Same over here usually the manager asking which ends up with a DR2 (misconduct report), most of them know better than to ask now and surprising enough I have to issue less cards? :D

If it's done in the bar after over a coke then I am happy to discuss the why's and wherefore but if it's done in my changing room or on the pitch then a misconduct report is made. My logic is that they have had time to cool off after the game, I find them far more amenable to sense and logic

Back