A&H

Throw in signals

J-K

Level 5 Referee
Is there anywhere with guidance for the referee signalling for throw ins, or is it like the old assistant penalty flag across the chest, something everyone does but isn't actually stated?

One of my assistants commented that when I signalled for a throw (particularly to the attacking team) along his line but further up the pitch, I should have been facing into the pitch and therefore toward the assistant on the other side, rather than facing to the line.

I could understand that he couldn't necessarily see my arm as it was on the other side of my body to him.

I tried changing it in the second half but it didn't seem right.

Any help?

The Referee Store
sounds like he's talking rubbish tbh. you would then have your back to the play which is certainly not a great idea!

I always exaggerate my throw in signal the further down the line I am from the AR on that side so they can clearly see which way I'm giving it. I'll almost point across myself rather than straight down the line which would obscure their view.

sounds like he's talking rubbish tbh. you would then have your back to the play which is certainly not a great idea!

I always exaggerate my throw in signal the further down the line I am from the AR on that side so they can clearly see which way I'm giving it. I'll almost point across myself rather than straight down the line which would obscure their view.
:D

I like to give a crows call for an away throw and an bears roar for home throw ... this signifies to each AR what im giving ...

what utter rubbish! ive never struggled to see a refs signal! its called looking properly mate! haha

Reactions: SM
I like to give a crows call for an away throw and an bears roar for home throw ... this signifies to each AR what im giving ...

what utter rubbish! ive never struggled to see a refs signal! its called looking properly mate! haha

You would if you were at top level, I've noticed they often don't bother signalling

Indeed!

Although I have been out with referees who have said "I won't always signal every throw in, especially in your third"
And that would be me when refereeing on the contributory league. I will have communicated with my AR before they signal (either with a discreet hand signal low down or a confirming nod to them as they lead with their flag) but more often that not if it is directly by them I won't signal.

The only signal I struggle with is refs signalling corner on far aside away from my AR position/goal kick if they use the same arm style - can be difficult to see where that arm is angled!!!

as an example - on goal kicks I use a low palm up arm/point gesture for goal kick so it is easy to distinguish between that and the corner gesture.

And that would be me when refereeing on the contributory league. I will have communicated with my AR before they signal (either with a discreet hand signal low down or a confirming nod to them as they lead with their flag) but more often that not if it is directly by them I won't signal.
+1 for when I was on Supply

Additionally, let's remember in PGMO games, they're also mic'd up!

I was being slightly mischievous there Dan - of course not every throw needs two signals I quite agree.

Back