A&H

Time Saving Tip?

RegalRef

Politically Incorrect
Got to my game hour and a half before kick off this morning to have a detailed look at the pitch, which is surprisingly playable with a bit of removal of standing water.

Anyway, as I know have a bit of extra time to kill in the dressing room thought I'd save myself a bit of time on the pitch and write the dissent caution for striker on the away team in my book now, so I only have to add the time when the moment comes.

In the 4 previous games I have done for his team so far he's on 100% form, so surely it's just a matter of time? ;)

The Referee Store
I think it's wrong to assume that he's going to get a card every game. That means that throughout the game, surely you will be looking for a reason to caution him and therefore you'll be focusing more attention on him than the other players. Just my opinion, each to their own. I personally think it's bad territory and a bit disrespectful.

On the other hand, you could have saved yourself a few seconds...

I think it's wrong to assume that he's going to get a card every game. That means that throughout the game, surely you will be looking for a reason to caution him and therefore you'll be focusing more attention on him than the other players. Just my opinion, each to their own. I personally think it's bad territory and a bit disrespectful.

He didn't disappoint. And today's dissent in the 40th minute contributed to his eventual red on the 65th for smashing the ball away after being called offside.

This particular player snaps as today's first caution demonstrated. Tricky pitch, home player slides in against away midfielder, heavyish but fair tackle. Player in question (who is 40 yards away from the incident) shouts for foul. I signal the 'won the ball' signal (sphere with hands) and carry on, at which point he then goes apaplectic insisting 'how's that advantage?' (He obviously thought the ball signal was advantage).

Ball breaks upfield and soon goes out for a corner, at which point he continues. I invite him in to tell him he read the signal at which point he continued his rant. No choice but an easy yellow.

Hardly looking for it?

lol there are player where you just know it's a matter of time. They fall into 2 categories for me;

1) Those who will behave badly until they get their caution and then they have the sense to behave better to avoid getting sent off

2) Those who don't have any common sense and you are just waiting for them to do something dumb, say something dumb, because history has shown its just a matter of time. They complain they never get any decisions and they are right, because it is them responsible for all the offences they are claiming should go in their favour! A rare breed, usually found languishing amongst teams in the basement divisions of leagues.

Never written a name down before the game mind... although it has crossed my mind! :)

This guy definitely falls into category 2.

I was only joking about writing it down before hand, but I would have been completely shocked if he'd behaved himself.

It's a shame really, because in a poor team he's far and away their best player. Just has a chip on his shoulder.

Never written a name down before the game mind... although it has crossed my mind! :)
I have, although it wasn't my game! A friend had a county semi-final with a local team who were a handful. He was from out of the area and had never had the team before. I told him I'd write down the players he'd caution and what for. He didn't see my list before the game. At the end we compared lists. They matched perfectly!

This guy definitely falls into category 2.

I was only joking about writing it down before hand, but I would have been completely shocked if he'd behaved himself.

It's a shame really, because in a poor team he's far and away their best player. Just has a chip on his shoulder.

Take what I said with a pinch of salt. I think for the more experienced referees, it's okay. For the younger, less experienced that may take your tip on board, that's where the danger can creep in.

Personally, before I ref games I usually know who will be likely to see a card, most of the time they are friends of mine who I've played against or with of the years. They think they can get away with it... Negative :D

I suppose you just have to be careful that when confirming the name, the player doesn't see his name in there

Lol - I didn't actually write it before!

He knows from the last two times he's been cautioned before today I don't need to ask his name. I often have brief conversation on the pitch with him using his name when he's a more amenable mood.

Plus he has a very unusual first name. Well known but unusual. Unless you're Roman.

Reactions: DB
I used to ref a player just like this. Cautioned him for dissent six games in a row over the season; he actually wasn't too much trouble, in that he never said another word after any of the bookings. Must've liked funding the CFA Christmas party!

I could have written his name in the book beforehand, it was a case of when rather than if and he knew it. In the sixth game, he told me to write his name down as we were walking onto the pitch. Total lack of control in that he knew he was going to get himself booked and that he didn't seem to be able to stop himself! :D

I used to joke about this with a couple of players. One I cautioned for foul tackles several times and another who I cautioned for dissent almost every time I refereed him. Both of these are absolutely lovely blokes before and after the games, even when they've been cautioned.

There are players who need to go in the book at the earliest opportunity. The quicker you get them in there, the quicker a game of football might actually break out!

Like the night before the game @Padfoot ?

Most players are like children....they need protecting from themselves.

Nothing wrong in going looking for an easy booking for that type of player......it will make your life easier in the long run....either they behave or they are taking an early shower. Win/win situation.

Even with teams I've never seen before, I can normally tell within the first 5 minutes who's going to be in the book before the end of the first half.

Nothing wrong in going looking for an easy booking for that type of player......

What a ridiculous statement!! An easy booking?!? You should go to every game with no intention of booking anyone!! It's only when the situation arises that you should consider it.

I respect alot of peoples opinions on here but I am beginning to find your recent posts rather insulting to referees in general. I just hope that the newer generation of referees do not take your opinions as advice!

What a ridiculous statement!! An easy booking?!? You should go to every game with no intention of booking anyone!! It's only when the situation arises that you should consider it.

I respect alot of peoples opinions on here but I am beginning to find your recent posts rather insulting to referees in general. I just hope that the newer generation of referees do not take your opinions as advice!

Even when you know that a team has players who will cause you no end of grief until you get them into the book?

You are very naive if you believe that referees walk into games without any preconceptions of who is going to end up in the book....especially with teams they have become familiar with over a number of seasons.

By 'easy' I mean those situations where, with a less problematic player, you may choose to have a word rather than jump to a card.
Of course you still need to be mindful of setting the bar too low, too early but whether it offends your sensibilities or not, there are games and players that sometimes just need a card to enable things to progress smoothly.

I have to say I agree with Padfoot.

There are occasions where a yellow in the first half can save a red in the second.

I'm not saying that we should be cautioning for the first little thing we can, but some players and or teams can't or won't be "managed" and a caution is the only way to bring them into line.

The team I used to play for turned a player away after one season because he got a caution for dissent in pretty much every game, and the coach is very much the type of guy who likes a good game of football and pushes his team to play in the right spirit, i.e. not arguin descisons etc.

Back