A&H

Tolerance

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ref a lot of youth football and i am quite strict on fouls,Barges are always a moaning point. A player can send another player flying to the ground and then claim it was only a shoulder ref, normally followed from a parent "theres nothing wrong with Toby keep on doing it". I would have no hesitation to get my cards out at 9v9 upwards. For younger age groups only for violence like what was just mentioned or very bad language I would use cautions. Bad fouls I would manage at 7v7 and ask for the player to be removed.
if violent behaviour is involved i.e. thumping/kicking violently/head butting.. for me always a red... this way players will know the outcome of their actions..... if they think they can "get away with it" it will manifest in the higher age groups......

The Referee Store
Tolerance, interpretation of the laws, challenges and how we see them and how we interact or deal with injuries are down to "the referee's opinion" their is no right or wrong answer as we would all need to see the incidents within the context of the game. Was it a good advantage? was it a heavy challenge? did it warrant sanction? how bad an injury looks? Each situation in a match alters our own decision making process, one -two niggly fouls suddenly becomes persistent or a team targeting a player so the next time thye are fouled we give the free or give a caution.

We are all individuals and all have different opinions on how we balance advantage against stopping play. U17 game two weeks ago 7 roll on-off subs in three minutes (team were leading 5-0) 20 mintues left in game one player taken off next time ball out brought back on, I told them they were taking the pxss constantly stopping the play. I also said I wouldn't allow any further substitutes unless it was for a tactical reason or injury. Team respected what I said - NO subs in last 20 minutes. Game flowed after that rather than stopping every single time there was a restart. We handle situations and rather like science we try and try again until we find a way to deal with situations.

No one knows why you made or make decisions it is individual choice and opinion, and we all have.

No one knows why you made or make decisions it is individual choice and opinion, and we all have.

does emotion come into it?
the way players speak to me and/or ARs at times makes me feel angry, really winds me up ... but i have to filter that out and give a professional appraisal of situations as they arise?
They seem to forget that you are actually a human being and as such you may react.

I do a lot of u12 football, and you have to remember that despite their bravado they can still relatively immature so they still start crying sometimes when they're injured. My rule of thumb is if they're crying or scream as they go down, or it's heads, I'm blowing up straight away unless there's an imminent goal scoring opportunity ( ie within a few seconds). If they've just had a minor knock and there's been no foul, I'll play on but I will try and make it clear to everyone that I'm aware they're down and I'm carrying on otherwise I find the shouts from parents/coaches can sometimes stop the kids anyway.

With cards, I have to say I'm reluctant to use them but will if necessary for u12 and below, it's something that can raise the temperature on the sidelines very quickly and a good ticking off (sometimes involving the coach) with an explanation of what the consequences could be or will be if they repeat it can be a better option for development. Once they're playing 11v11 they're treated as adults although I will give them more of an explanation as to why the card's appeared.

does emotion come into it?
the way players speak to me and/or ARs at times makes me feel angry, really winds me up ... but i have to filter that out and give a professional appraisal of situations as they arise?
They seem to forget that you are actually a human being and as such you may react.
It does Richard and sometimes even though we try to be totally unbiased I think a players reaction can influence our decision making process, as for reacting......never do unless it is to apply a sanction to Mouthy McSweary who thinks they can say what they like :mad::redcard:

I ref a lot of youth football and i am quite strict on fouls,Barges are always a moaning point. A player can send another player flying to the ground and then claim it was only a shoulder ref, normally followed from a parent "theres nothing wrong with Toby keep on doing it". I would have no hesitation to get my cards out at 9v9 upwards. For younger age groups only for violence like what was just mentioned or very bad language I would use cautions. Bad fouls I would manage at 7v7 and ask for the player to be removed.

Really?

You would caution for OFFINABUS? Talk me through how that one works.....?

Very bad language does NOT equal OFFINABUS .....
Oh no! You've only gone and done it.........standby for some re-training.
On second thoughts, I'll start it myself........very bad language from young players needs to be dealt with correctly, by dismissing them from the field of play, because at that age, every referee should be offended by it.
End of.
No further discussion needed.
Mods, close this tread now before it gets away from you........again!

Oh no! You've only gone and done it.........standby for some re-training.
Bring it on :)

Can't wait to be told in what way a player saying something like MotherF###er (clearly very bad language) to himself after missing an easy shot, classifies as OFFINABUS :rolleyes:

Bring it on :)

Can't wait to be told in what way a player saying something like MotherF###er (clearly very bad language) to himself after missing an easy shot, classifies as OFFINABUS :rolleyes:

It's offensive. Easy.

And before you start erecting your wall of cowardice and say that you wouldn't find it offensive etc etc......It's offensive by design.....whether that it achieves the desired result is utterly irrelevant.

Put a fork in this one. I suggest if you want to see more about tolerance levels, use the search function. It's been done many times

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back