A&H

U14 - Assistant Ref opportunities

marshr02

Hi there.

My son has just completed his first 5 games as a referee, at u11/12 level. i'm curious at what point does he have options to get experience of running the line. I presume he has to wait till 16, as Neutral AR's tend to be only needed at older age groups.

Thanks for any pointers

The Referee Store
Hi there.

My son has just completed his first 5 games as a referee, at u11/12 level. i'm curious at what point does he have options to get experience of running the line. I presume he has to wait till 16, as Neutral AR's tend to be only needed at older age groups.

Thanks for any pointers
If I remember correctly, (or I might be having a complete brain breakdown) but are you from Sussex? If so, Brighton academy might be worth it. I believe they use neutral AR’s even at u11’s. I presume it’s the same for every academy in the country.

He will be able to start running the line for open age once he turns 16 and becomes a level 7/5c referee.

He may get an opportunity or 2 to run the line in a cup final at the latter end of the season but that's likely to be all he'll manage until he is old enough

From the few games and appointments invites I have seen for my son, our local Premier League academy doesn't seem to use teams of 3 for U11, but does by U12, and it seems to be a good environment and good challenge for a new official.

As JamesL says, for the latter stages of some cup competitions (including schools competitions in our area) the organisers may arrange neutral teams of 3 even at U11/U12.

Another thought: As U11 / U12 is the typical age for introduction of offsides, football in many geographic areas will require assistants at that age (typically one reluctant parent from each team acting as a 'club assistant'!).
Therefore, local teams may well welcome the offer of a qualified official volunteering to assist in their U11 / U12 games, and would also be keen to support a young official's development. Whilst it wouldn't (normally) be paid, and wouldn't be the same as operating in a full neutral team of 3, it might still be worthwhile experience both of assisting, and perhaps even more of observing how other more experienced referees work. It might also help to get your son's name / face known locally by officials and clubs as a keen and reliable official.

Hi there.

Thanks for any pointers
The majority of Academies appoint three officials to most games, so may be of interest.

Back