A&H

Junior/Youth U18 cup final

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason why I'm saying what I said above is that I have seen referees not deal with the above it might be a case of frustration or I've they use the stepped approach

The Referee Store
Given I raised this, let's be clear that I f***ed up. At higher levels you are expected to manage it, and games managed by level 3 referees and level 4 assistants are senior levels. Had I ignored the comments from the player there would have been no issues, it was the fact that I called the referee over that caused the problem. If the player had said what he did on a Sunday morning I would probably have sent him off, but because it was on a semi-pro Saturday game I put doubts in my own mind even after I had called the referee over.

So had I done nothing there would have been no issue, had I told the referee to send him off there would have been no issue (assuming he took my advice), the issue came from the fact that he was cautioned as that proved that we had heard it. He didn't say what the club claimed he said, we didn't immediately stop play as the club claimed we did, he wasn't anywhere as close to me as the club claimed he was (nose to nose, versus 20 yards away). But regardless of this I should have done nothing OR advised the referee to send him off.

So at supply/contrib they'll suspend a ref for not applying offinabus but on the premier league it's fine to completely ignore it?

The FA ladies and gents. An old boys club who don't know their arse from their elbow :rolleyes:
No. What you fail to understand is that once you reach Rusty's level people are paying an amount of money to watch their football, more than the cost of a pint of beer. It's not a significant amount but is skews the application of law so that certain black/white decisions become grey. The higher up in the game you move, the less it is a sport but it is more entertainment. At Chelsea 15 years ago I paid £45 to watch a game, I can't imagine what the prices are now, but at that price the spectators expect to see a game with all of the participants staying on the field until the end.

Since the advent of TV football (post'92 I mean), the game is less about the Corinthian spirit and all about the money. You don't watch a movie/play/tv show just to see the main character killed off in the first 15 minutes (unless it's Game of Thrones). That skews the laws even more so that the application for "technical" offences, by that, those which don't involve physical contact, becomes less certain. So the holding of the ball for longer than 6 seconds, the leaving of the field without permission, the use of OFFINABUS, etc. are all dialled down.

You may not like it, but it's a fact of life and no amount of handwringing by you or haranguing of old men who have given a large part of their lives in service to The FA is going to change that.

I think I've found one of the old boys. You've got to learn to take opinions mate and stop thinking yours is fact 100% of the time

I think I've found one of the old boys. You've got to learn to take opinions mate and stop thinking yours is fact 100% of the time
I'm 52. I appreciate to you that might seem old, but believe me I've a few more years left in me yet. I take time to listen to those people who have given long years of service because wrapped inside their tales of yesteryear, there's often some solid advice.

I'm not your mate. In fact, I wouldn't give you the steam...

I do take opinions from those who provide them and can support them with fact and a reasoned argument. Just because you sneer at an opposing view doesn't make you right or convincing.

The laddish culture developing on this forum makes me concerned for its long term usefulness.

I think, although you of course have valuable experience, you can't handle debate unless you're unanimously seen as correct.

If you want to call that a 'laddish' culture rather than being honest enough to admit that not everyone agrees with you then so be it.

I assume by long term usefulness, you mean it will no longer be useful if people dare to challenge your opinions?

I can also assure you that the term mate was condescending and in no way an endorsement of my feelings about yourself sir.

No. What you fail to understand is that once you reach Rusty's level people are paying an amount of money to watch their football, more than the cost of a pint of beer. It's not a significant amount but is skews the application of law so that certain black/white decisions become grey. The higher up in the game you move, the less it is a sport but it is more entertainment. At Chelsea 15 years ago I paid £45 to watch a game, I can't imagine what the prices are now, but at that price the spectators expect to see a game with all of the participants staying on the field until the end.

Since the advent of TV football (post'92 I mean), the game is less about the Corinthian spirit and all about the money. You don't watch a movie/play/tv show just to see the main character killed off in the first 15 minutes (unless it's Game of Thrones). That skews the laws even more so that the application for "technical" offences, by that, those which don't involve physical contact, becomes less certain. So the holding of the ball for longer than 6 seconds, the leaving of the field without permission, the use of OFFINABUS, etc. are all dialled down.

You may not like it, but it's a fact of life and no amount of handwringing by you or haranguing of old men who have given a large part of their lives in service to The FA is going to change that.

This is where the issue lies for me. I totally agree that football is about entertainment, particularly at the higher levels, but that shouldn't come at the expense of allowing the players to, in effect, so what they want.

I'm all for keeping eleven players on the pitch, but that shouldn't give players the right to say whatever they want to without sanction. All it would take is for the select group/football league referees to enforce dissent/OFFINABUS to the letter of the law for a couple of weeks. Short term, it would lessen the entertainment, but in the long term, how much better off would the game be without all the nonsense from players? It would also make life infinitely easier for us grassroots referees.

This is where the issue lies for me. I totally agree that football is about entertainment, particularly at the higher levels, but that shouldn't come at the expense of allowing the players to, in effect, so what they want.

I'm all for keeping eleven players on the pitch, but that shouldn't give players the right to say whatever they want to without sanction. All it would take is for the select group/football league referees to enforce dissent/OFFINABUS to the letter of the law for a couple of weeks. Short term, it would lessen the entertainment, but in the long term, how much better off would the game be without all the nonsense from players? It would also make life infinitely easier for us grassroots referees.
Agreed but while the PGMOL is funded by the Premier League it will not happen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back